• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ubuntu/Windows Boot Question:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
In the past after I had installed Ubuntu when I booted up I got a black screen. This screen gave me the option to boot into Ubuntu or Windows. As I recall Windows was the default option.
Yesterday I installed Ubuntu on this laptop (32 Bit Acer Aspire). Now when I boot it I get the purple screen for Ubuntu. From this purple screen it automatically (default) boots into Ubuntu unless I go down to an option at the bottom. There are also some other commands that I do not understand.
If I go to the boot to Windows option a black screen opens (just like in my previous Ubuntu installations). This gives me the option of going to either Windows or Ubuntu. On this screen Windows is the default option. Although it's not really that inconvenient I find it strange. I would like to uninstall Ubuntu and reinstall it but I am concerned that if it is uninstalled the purple Ubuntu screen that it boots into by default will be missing and that I will no longer be able to use Windows.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any ideas?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have not experienced that.
Can you still boot to windows? Was windows loaded first? what partition did you load ubuntu on, hopefully not the same one. If the same partition that might cause you issues. sorry more questions than answers.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes I can still go to Windows, but when I first boot up it takes me to a screen that is purple/lavender. From past experience that seems to be the Ubuntu screen. From there unless I arrow down it automatically boots into Ubuntu.
Then if I choose Windows it still doesn't automatically boot to Windows instead it goes to a black screen asking me to choose. From the black screen I am again asked to choose which system to use. Unless I choose Ubuntu Windows is then started by default.

Windows 7 is the original operating system. I don't think it's on the same partition. I just burnt Ubuntu onto a disk then loaded it from there. I followed all of the instructions. Since it's not that inconvenient I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like ubuntu has added a script that makes them the default choice. slimey bastards. I hate when software decides for you, especially when it's the 2nd OS loaded.

find a ubuntu site and they might be able to tell you which file to edit to fix this. if you view your boot.log in /var/logs it might give you a clue of what files are being executed.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
When you install Ubuntu the Windows bootloader is replaced with GRUB. I strongly believe that your answer lies somewhere in GRUB and it's configuration. The first answer given is more complex, but, could also be a candidate.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I would firstly go in to the control panel and see what partition it is on as it does sound like it has created a partition that is conflicting with the boot up....this partition may need deleting or formatting......i had this before with a system i repaired.

I need to ask what windows are you running?? 7...8???

Also is it Grub or Grub 2 ???

It could also be to do with default settings...this link may help...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/148095/how-do-i-set-the-grub-timeout-and-the-grub-default-boot-entry

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I think the best and easiest way to sort this is to start over,remove it and do a little research on how to install it before you try again....

I would follow this guide to help remove it safely....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heO1n73Ua4Q

If you remove it i will look around for a helpful guide on how to install it.

Could you show us a screen shot of your disk management....it will look like this....

Attachments

• windows7-disk-managment.gif
    windows7-disk-managment.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Galvatron this a screen shot of my disk management:

commanage.JPG

I was looking at that video. It shows his start screen the same as mine. In past Ubuntu installations instead of seeing that I saw a black screen. On those installations unless Ubuntu was chosen the computer would default boot automatically into Windows.
I see on that video that he is using some kind of special uninstaller software. I don't see why he needs that as one should be able to uninstall the Ubuntu software by using the control panel.
If it's normal in the current Ubuntu installations to go to a purple screen (on start up) that automatically boots into Ubuntu instead of getting the black screen that automatically boots into Windows maybe I should just leave the installation alone.
This 32 Bit Acer Aspire is a kind of spare laptop. I usually use my Lenovo 64 bit laptop.