• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Grandpa's radios

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Was at my parents. They have had my Grandfathers radios stored since he passed away in 1980. One is an old Hallicraft reciever, the other reciever I do not remember. They are tube radios from the 50's or early 60's.

They're clean, except some dust.

would like to get more info on them next time I am over there. But, also wonder about firing them up. Don't really have an antenae, short of making a dipole.

More concerned, what about 40-50 year old tubes and capacitors...?

fubar

you know, I've read some notes on these forums by Rusty Shackleford, I'll bet he probably has the best clues to follow BEFORE you plug it in.
I gather that he collects and restores old radios, gotta know more than I!!

In his travels I'll bet he also runs across some old ham gear, Why I even have a very old and somewhat rare zenith transoceanic that I'd trade to him for any functional transceiver.....

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
you know, I've read some notes on these forums by Rusty Shackleford, I'll bet he probably has the best clues to follow BEFORE you plug it in.
I gather that he collects and restores old radios, gotta know more than I!!

In his travels I'll bet he also runs across some old ham gear, Why I even have a very old and somewhat rare zenith transoceanic that I'd trade to him for any functional transceiver.....
Now that will give Rusty a woody...:yum:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
:yum::yum: thanks, JEv!

to the OP:
its never really a good idea to fire up any equipment that old right off the bat, unless its been in regular use its whole life. capacitors can short/blow and then you have a big problem. if you have any experience working with capacitors and/or filter caps, i reccommend replacing them before powering on the unit. ive heard some folks will use a variac to bring it to power slowly, too. you should check out http://antiqueradios.com/forums/index.php . im a member over there and there is alot more info there than i can give you. hams as far as i can tell arent quite the same as the tube radios when it comes to the way that they are designed, and i dont know much about the ham radio stuff. give that site a once over, there is a ham section with write ups, and info, ect.

good luck with Grandpa's radios!

fubar

r520 urr?
usa army with the copper battery tube, this is an internet pic, I will get actuals of mine after this stupid camera battery gets charged.

if I uploaded the pic correctly

Attachments

• trans_oceanic_r_520_urr_215154.jpg
    trans_oceanic_r_520_urr_215154.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 158

fubar

yup, any, (well, not stolen, or anything like that) and I'll pay postage both ways.
The old radio is suffering 'hangar rash'. So it needs to go to a person who can and knows how to care for it. (and appreciates it) I'm not into restoring, I'm into "Key the mike, and melt the neighbors TV antenna!!" The radio was used by a US Army group, ACS, in Curry, Alaska in the 50's. It has the black background. As I understand the ones with the Cream background were even more rare as they had a slight freq capability mod for the Bay of Pigs.
Anyways, I'll try to get Actual Pics this evening.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
cool! well i will be keeping my eyes open then. and no it wont be stolen :yum:

lookin foward to the pics. i should be back online tonight so i will be on the lookout for ya :D

sorry to hijack your thread, RNE :doh:

fubar

cool! well i will be keeping my eyes open then. and no it wont be stolen :yum:

lookin foward to the pics. i should be back online tonight so i will be on the lookout for ya :D

sorry to hijack your thread, RNE :doh:

I got some pictures, I'm not very good and this but lets have a look and see if they are legible.....

Attachments

• trans 005.jpg
    trans 005.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 155
  • trans 006.jpg
    trans 006.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 156
  • trans 001.jpg
    trans 001.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 155
  • trans 002.jpg
    trans 002.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 153
  • trans 003.jpg
    trans 003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 156
  • trans 004.jpg
    trans 004.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 156

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
very cool, thanks for the pics! i'll be on the lookout here for a transciever, nad get ahold of you if i find one you may think to be of interest. thats a very nice unit you have there :tiphat: