• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dad has 'no authority' after grounding ruling: lawyer

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
More nice government based parenting from Canada . . .

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...0620/Quebec_appeal_080620/20080620?hub=Canada

Dad has 'no authority' after grounding ruling: lawyer

Updated Fri. Jun. 20 2008 8:37 AM ET
CTV.ca News Staff

The lawyer for a Quebec man whose daughter took him to court to challenge her father's grounding punishment says that he will appeal a ruling that he had no right to ban his child from a school trip.

Kim Beaudoin, lawyer for the man, told CTV's Canada AM that the father wants to reclaim the parental authority he lost when his daughter took him to court.

"You can imagine that he has no authority towards this child anymore," Beaudoin said.

"If she comes back home, the reaction will be every time he gives a punishment, well, you know, I can always bring you to court. That's not the situation you want in your family."

Beaudoin said that the father also wants to spare other parents from having to go through a similar situation.

The man had told his 12-year-old daughter that she could not go on a three-day trip with her classmates after she got into an argument with her stepmother. The father had also banned the girl from using the Internet after he found out she posted pictures of herself on a dating website.

The father has custody of the girl, but she went to live with her mother after the family fight.

The girl took her case to Quebec Superior Court, where Justice Suzanne Tessier ruled that the man had no right to ban his daughter from the trip.
After the court ruling, the girl did go on the trip, a short class jaunt through Quebec to celebrate graduation from the sixth grade.

The judge said that the father's punishment could not stand because the girl is now living with her mother. Tessier also said that banning the girl from the trip was excessive punishment.

However, Beaudoin said that the father had told the girl at the beginning of the school year that she could go on the trip if her behaviour was good throughout the year.

The man was "stunned" when his daughter brought the case to court.
"He was so firm on the fact that he had given a punishment and he wanted that punishment to be maintained," Beaudoin said.

"He never thought that she'd bring this to court."

urednecku

Site Supporter
It's a very sad day, indeed. You are responsible for the child, and what he/she does, but have no authority to discipline them.
My ass.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Not only do too many people no longer want any responsibilty for their children, now they want to ruin it for those that still do?! Definitely sad....

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have an idea......

Let's do like they do on the native reservations up here and let the kids raise themselves with absolutely no consequences for their actions and watch 3/4's of them end up in court for one reason or another before the age of 14. I'd just guess that about half of them end up doing time before the age of 18.(just what I've seen around here anyways)

Yep, that's the way the world seems to be going. Like I said in another thread.....speare the rod and spoil the child. You'll end up with a spoiled brat that doesn't appreciate anything and takes everything for granted.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have an idea......

Let's do like they do on the native reservations up here and let the kids raise themselves with absolutely no consequences for their actions and watch 3/4's of them end up in court for one reason or another before the age of 14. I'd just guess that about half of them end up doing time before the age of 18.(just what I've seen around here anyways)

Or they just huff gas until they are so brain dead they have no idea why their lives suck so much. Native reserves in Canada are a prime example of how giving too much free stuff destroys a society.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
wonder what I would do with all that child support I now would not be paying, since I dont have rights????????????????

sorry but what comes around does not always look so good on the return trip............

oh and some judge and some attorney needs some woop ass big time...........old fashioned kind, fists and boots

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
OK...so :wtf: does the MOTHER think? Why the hell would SHE stand for this? One thing about parenting... divorced or not... you have to have a united front when it comes to your kids. My daughter will think I am the biggest asshole alive, but she is and will continue to be a VERY good kid.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
OK...so :wtf: does the MOTHER think? Why the hell would SHE stand for this? One thing about parenting... divorced or not... you have to have a united front when it comes to your kids. My daughter will think I am the biggest asshole alive, but she is and will continue to be a VERY good kid.

means you are a great parent, and one day she will come back and thank you for being that asshole...............shoot by then you may have grand kids...........and then it is paybacks are hell............:punk::punk:. No doubt you are doing it right.........I did, my kid is pretty much all that, and with her wedding coming up, she has done well in this area too...........great guy, kids coming after (see above statement about gkids).