• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backpack leaf blower.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm due for a new one.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm looking at the following:
Stihl BR600

Shindaiwa EB-630

Redmax Stratocharged 8000

Husqvarna 165BT (a bit smaller than the others)
356BT still is a bit small

Echo PB-751

Kawasaki KRB750B

They're all within about $100.
The Husqvarna's don't seem as robust or powerful as the others.
The Redmax seems like "top dog".

messickfarmequ

Charter Member
I'll throw in my bias here... I sell the BR600's. They are a very nice blower. I am very partial to the new 4-Mix engines. I bought a trimmer based on it earlier this year and i can really tell the performance difference between it and the older powerheads. There defentialy is more torque and they run much quieter. The BR600 has so much output that they have to run a grounding wire down though the tubes to keep excessive static charge from building up.

Viking

Site Supporter
I can attest to the torque of the 4-Mix engine. I have the Stihl FS 110R trimmer/bushcutter. Very good engine and PLENTY of torque.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I'm leaning towards the Stihl since it has 2 votes.

Follow-up question...
I'm done with leaves for the year. Is it better, worse or indifferent if I wait until spring to get one? I'm thinking of pricing, new models...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, I noticed you don't have a heavyweight choice on your list. :whistle: How can you expect to get any traction with a light unit strapped to your back? You might end of slipping and sliding around if it is not heavy enough.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Brian, I noticed you don't have a heavyweight choice on your list. :whistle: How can you expect to get any traction with a light unit strapped to your back? You might end of slipping and sliding around if it is not heavy enough.
Bob, I thought of the bigger ones but I'm not a big guy and thought they would get a bit heavy carrying around. The one I really liked had an engine on it like Tom's rail but when I strapped it on, it felt as if it could get tiring after an hour or 2. The other problem is when I hit the throttle, it sent me flying backwards into the side of a building. :eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well since I have already steered the thread off topic a bit, have you considered a tractor mounted blower? I have one that is a little more powerful than Hurricane Katrina but doesn't include all the rain and flooding. It has hydraulic directional control so I can aim the wind while I am riding along. Just a thought.

I will admit that I can't clean the gutters with it.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
have you considered a tractor mounted blower?
I use all kinds of stuff for leaf removal.

I use my tractor with the 6' blade off the back and FEL. Works great in the deep stuff that accumulates behind buildings or tree lines.

I use my ZTR for the main part. Mulches most but I mow inwards and create a couple windrows.

Use the ATV and sweeper to pick up the windrows.

RTV and trailers for big piles (the piles from the tractor/blade or where I can't run the mower and make piles with the backpack.

Backpack is pretty much only for gutters and in the tight spots.

Ahhh, now that I wrote my process/procedure, I just realized how many thousands of $ I'm using to remove leaves. The backpack is just a "drop in the bucket" so I guess I can spend whatever I want :eek: :D

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
B_Skurka said:
............. I have one that is a little more powerful than Hurricane Katrina but doesn't include all the rain and flooding. It has hydraulic directional control so I can aim the wind while I am riding along. Just a thought.

I will admit that I can't clean the gutters with it.

how about a picture of this unit. Even Mike (pinewedge) doesn't have a tractor mounted one....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junk, that would be one picture I don't already have taken!

Viking

Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:

Bob, I think Kioti makes a extremely heavy backpack blower. I heard it ways in at around 150 lbs, very heavy duty...like their tractors.:D

As a matter of fact Kioti is putting out a whole line of power equipment like 2 man chain saws, 2 man brushcutters and weedwackers. They are so heavy it takes at least 2 men to carry and operate them!

There shouldn't be a traction problem with a Kioti blower strapped on. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Viking, I did hear they will have one of those 2-man chainsaws similar to the CK25 tractor . . . really heavy but with inadequate power!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, Viking and Skurka are the first to make my chit list, I'm sure Junk and Tom are hot on their tail...........told ya I'd be watching! :moon:

Brian,

Buy a big unit, put on some roller skates and go to Bonneville and attempt the landspeed record with a leaf blower!

:a1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Brian,

Buy a big unit, put on some roller skates and go to Bonneville and attempt the landspeed record with a leaf blower!

Ahh there goes the 'pack mentality' again (seems like the drugs haven't worn off yet?) with the recommendation to get the big unit (but he really meant to say HEAVY). Seems to me that a light weight unit with plenty of HP would allow for LESS TRACTION, which of course, would result in higher speeds at Bonneville! :whistle:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hilarious...........but we all know Big (Heavy) is better so your logic is crushed!
Momentum rules!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Big Dog said:
OK, Viking and Skurka are the first to make my chit list, I'm sure Junk and Tom are hot on their tail...........told ya I'd be watching! :moon:

Brian,

As luck would have it, KIOTI has a lawn & garden division with just what you're looking for !!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• v8chainsaw.jpg
    v8chainsaw.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 24

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's what I'm talking about. I use to have footage of a V8 saw operating, it's out there somewhere. BTW........It took two guys!

P.S. - You made the list..........;)