• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A Civil War Forum

The Tourist

Banned
I have always been a student of history, especially when there is a rich spectrum to debate and study.

As you may know, Madison is the site of Camp Randall. Our currect stadium is there. Not many folks know that there are many Civil War era graves here, including some from the CSA.

I kind of lost touch with this study, but my interest once again peaked after they ran that PBS series. Man, I could not get enough! And I've been looking for a good forum ever since.

I just registered over at a place called Civil War Talk, and I am currently awaiting my return register email. It's past midnight where I am, so it might take until tomorrow.

I'll poke around, do some lurking and perusing, but I know I'll have fun. If there are history buffs here, you might want to check it out.

The Tourist

Banned
Oh, you guys are going to love this...!

As you know, I started a thread on being honest in a forum. It appears I'm not the only one.

There were questions on my registration page for this Civil War forum. I didn't think much about it. There was even a spot for you to write a short treatise.

Well, my authorization did not come. I went to the forum site to dig around a little bit and found this...

...The second question is open ended: Please tell us why you are interested in the American Civil War. Please use names of generals and/or battles, or terminology that will help us expedite your registration.

Your answer should be your own, we are checking your response to be assured that you are a "real" person, and that you actually have an interest in this forum and website. Your responses are private, only I will ever read them.

Trolls, spammers and ouright liars have ruined many enjoyable forums, and now this site owner has actually implemented a competency test for new members.

I applaud his actions.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing new in that. All forum owners have to watch out for bots. They'll go through the easy registration processes and post spam automatically. We've had our share. I have a number of gates in place to stop the bot spammers. Human spammers still get through and waste their time posting links to whatever. We ban the user and delete the links as soon as they are noticed by an admin or mod. All part of forum life.
The forum you speak of is doing this manually as an extra precaution. I have not had to go to that extreme thank goodness.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Chico, if you have a few who are interested in discussing aspects of the civil war I would create a special forum just for you all. As long as it didn't sit empty it would work for me.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Um, excuse my ignorance, but what war was ever "civil"?

OK, just kiddin......

The Tourist

Banned
Chico, if you have a few who are interested in discussing aspects of the civil war I would create a special forum just for you all.

Doc, this is an area where I am the grasshopper, not the sensei. I would be happy to visit this website and just lurk and study.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I've visited quite a few battlefields and have a pretty good collection of memorabilia that I would be willing to share with anyone interested.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I have been to Gettysburg, Shiloh, Stone River, and Kennesaw. Kennesaw was the most interesting because it was a staff exercise and we were led by a guide that explained the the battle to us. It was part of my officer candidate school.

The Tourist

Banned
In many ways you have to understand on just why I use forums.

For example, a few yeas ago I signed onto a "biker" forum. It was clear that many of the guys either had just bought Harleys, didn't ride them much or (in some obvious cases) didn't own one at all.

But those conditions wouldn't have made any difference to me if I had met a small circle of guys who loved the sport, and made some good conversation. One did. He met me at our local shop, and we rode together. We never became good friends, and never bros, but he was honest about his opinions and who he was.

As Doc can verify, I am also a member of a cooking forum, and enjoy participating in discussions on the use of the very style of knives I sharpen.

I also enjoy stimulating debates. They can be about anyone or any aspect of history, but it's fun to see a new side to a topic.

In the end I don't care if the forum is about balsa wood planes, toy trains or holler monkeys. If there's a group of pleasant folks and witty commentary, I enjoy the evening.

I don't know much about the Civil War, other than most of the common history taught in school. But I am looking forward to the debates.

I also cast the same types of bullets used in that conflict. There may be new info on implements and their history.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not so good at reading between the lines, but I would like to know more about the civil war. I will create a special area for Civil War discussion and sharing. No one need be a pro. Grasshoppers are welcome to participate. Maybe we'll all learn something together or .... it will be an empty forum and I'll merge it into something else sometime down the road.

I hope you all will help make it a success. :thumb: :D

k-dog

I live near several Civil War historic sites (Antietam, MD; Harpers Ferry, WV; Charles Town, WV; Bunker Hill, WV) but never really had the urge to learn about it. I think part of it is living near all these sites the schools tended to push them down our throat with field trips and such. Hopefully the new area here will enlighten me about the Civil War. I do find some things amazing about the Civil War especially Antietam and Harpers Ferry.

D

darroll

That was not my favorite war even though we had family fighting for the CSA.
Stand there and shoot at each other, what a massacre.
What’s the matter with standing behind a tree?

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
That was not my favorite war even though we had family fighting for the CSA.
Stand there and shoot at each other, what a massacre.
What’s the matter with standing behind a tree?

That's part of the fascination some have with this period. It was the last conflict fought with 19th century weapons and 18th century tactics. Also it's the only war I know of where most of the senior officers on both sides learned their craft at the same place and taught by the same instructors.