Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Boats, Jet Skis and Water Toys Forum

Old 02-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,619 Times in 1,387 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Looking at boats

I've been trying to date that boat out of curiousity. It's no spring chicken by any means and is a little rough around the edges outside which is easily remedied with a wire brush, gallon of paint and a spray gun. As I said the interior is in good shape for it's age. No cracking fading or tearing on any of the seats or other upolstery. The floor is solid and the carpeting shows little signs of wear. The lower end of the engine looks like new with only a little paint missing from the bottom of the skeg.

Now the engine is, at my best guess an 84. The engine cowling gives it away. The 85 cowling was more square and separates at the front opening up like a butterfly spreading its wings. Then it just lifts off. I had an 85 60hp merc before that opened this way. The 84 and earlier was more rounded. Merc and mariner are basically the same company.

The boat has a good fish/depth finder with navigational charts. Mine right now is a basic hummingbird walmart one that indicates only fish and depth.

With all that said this boat may end up being a non issue. Due to my accident, my medical proffesionals are currently working to have my injuries deemed as catastrophic for insurance purposes. This opens up the amount of services I can receive which also means the possibility of a new home, vehicle, boat etc. Whatever they have to do to make me live as close to what I was doing before the accident. Not holding my breath on that one but it's a possibility. All I know is I have a hard time sitting in the boat for long right now. I last went out with mine last july fishing for 45 mins and I could barely move for 3 days. So something bigger, deeper, and more stable is in order.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Found a better picture of the same boat. This one's an 88 I believe. Mine is a 90 so very similar age.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

Bamby will become famous soon enough

For a man with the conditions your in you really should consider a pontoon boat. With a properly laid out and powered pontoon boat a person can do practically anything including taking a nap in complete comfort. Look towards a 24 footer equipped or tricked with performance features and pushed with 150 hp outboard and you'll be having a good time having fun on the water. Another big plus on pontoons is the fact that they ride so much better than anything short of the big heavy cabin cruisers that tear up the water for everyone else. Seriously hitch a ride on one and you'll likely find yourself shopping for you own pontoon boat.
“A country’s people may be subjugated to the decisions of their government, but they have their own lives and values — and deserve more than being held to the same ethical judgments we hold to their leaders.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
NorthernRedneck (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
short of the big heavy cabin cruisers that tear up the water for everyone else.
Don't be dissing the heavy cruisers. That's what those of us on jet ski's look for on the open water. :)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

Oh don't worry. A pontoon is still on the horizon once things are settled in a couple years. The thing with pontoons is you're kinda stuck to the lake you launch it at in the spring. Where we go in may, we're launching off a gravel road between a set of culverts down a 4ft bank. So I'll still need a boat able to do that then head 10 miles up the lake to fish on a smaller river. Also, unless you have at least a 100hp on the back of a pontoon it's kinda hard pulling a tube behind.

This boat is basically a stepping stone. It's going to get me back out on the water without making me twist around to drive a tiller. That's the killer part with my boat right now. Having to sit sideways and drive a tiller. The back doesn't care much for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (02-10-2017)