• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1962 Tucker 443 generator polarizing?

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
My battery is not charging yet I have 14v on the generator. I had the battery out for a few months on a charger in the off season so I assume I needed to polarize the generator to get it to work but get conflicting methods for doing so on the web. I'm thinking that touching the battery + to the field lug on the regulator is correct for this setup. The bottom relay never closes during high idle but if I manually close it I get charge voltage to the battery. I did remove and clean all connections as well as contacts in the regulator.

04b98f7ed6b0457bad67c22a6837b5c1.jpg

3fe1490665784a9b6586b12c04c89f1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
take the belt off hook up pos and neg to a 12 volt battery watch it spin than put every thing together again if it still fails to charge get a new regulator.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have much use for a delcotron single wire alternator, but its not hard to hook up the 3 wire model. or even the ford or Chrysler external regulator alternators.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Hooked the battery up to the generator and it spun the correct direction and also told me the bushings were a little dry. Pulled the regulator off and found that the thin shunt wire was broken in a couple different spots. I was able to find a rebuilt regulator on eBay for $27 with free shipping.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would keep it original. The generator is just like a DC motor. The faster you spin it the more voltage it puts out. That's why you need a voltage regulator. You can test the generator by "motorizing" it. Once in a while you need to polarize it. Any good older "Motor" manual will have how to do it.