• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi steering issues

Super Yooper

74 Bombi runs straight in all terrains ( have not tested on snow or ice yet). Can steer it very easily on hard pack dirt, and gravel as well as concrete floor in pole barn. very difficult to turn in heavy grass or soft terrain. steering bands look to be in great condition, changed out diff fluid, adjusted steering bands, track tension...etc. talked to dozer operator who talked about possible "side bite" of grouser bars grabbing in soft terrains.
I've yet to find a thread for this issue.
Thanks for replies!
Super Yooper

Depending on which tracks you have I might consider your situation normal. If you have the wide aluminum winter tracks there is a lot of resistance to turning.

snowcatt

Hi
If the ground is soft and your not moving at a good speed they do not turn well
That is the way it is .The longer they are the worst they get .
I extended one bu 20" great in winter but horrible in the bush

Good luck and have fun the snow isn't far away

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 1980 bombi.
it is short so it can bounce and turn on its own easily on solid ground. grass makes it really hard to steer.
i'm with Alaska snow cat on it sounding like its normal.
what is your experience in running cats?
jim

Super Yooper

Thanks for the the replies. As for my snow cat experience, I messed around with a Bombi in the winter before, that's what led me to pick up this true barn find. Tub still had tracks on, but all other parts and pieces were in boxes or on pallets. I am also working on a Cushman Trackster.
Thanks to all.
Super Yooper

Super Yooper

these machines were sold to utility companies for field work. power lines, gas lines...etc. I think those companies would want a machine that could turn in all terrain conditions.
thanks
super yooper

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For summer use you need the summer track not as aggressive to make turning easier 18" steel cleats winter use 24" aluminum the bands can look good from a thickness stand point and still not function proper if glazed try using a good oil
In the differential like Cat T-04 or Amsoil power shift fluid they both have friction modifiers to make the steering bands more effective