• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

JS-72, probably a J5 clutch

YukonDean

JS-72, probably a J5 it is 64" across the body.
I used it a lot this spring with no issues, then a track broke.
That is fixed but it will not engage the motor to the tracks.
I think it is the clutch, as it will go but real very slow after clutch release and only in first and second. It does not even draw down the motor.
I had a mechanic look at it. He has never worker on these before but thinks the clutch is no good. He believes there is no more travel in the mechanism but did not look farther at the clutch itself.
A crane hit it in on the front and did quite a bit of damage including the windscreen and put a 6" dent on the roof. I don't know if that could have affected the drivetrain.
Very odd that it worked fine, then a few months later, after sitting, the clutch is not useable.
Any ideas on how to check? Does the engine have to come out to do the clutch.
It has a 300 Ford engine i believe.

Thanks from the Yukon.
Dean

J5 Bombardier

If after getting more free play in that linkage ,and your problem is still there, guess that trans is going to have to come out either way, to have a good look at the clutch. Whether its worn out ,oil soaked ,it's time has come.
Post some pics and these old machines need lots of fixing so your wrenching skills will be getting a work out !
Good Luck J5 Bombardier:hammer:

YukonDean

Thanks, we did take it out after not hearing other options from your forum.
I would love to have a tracked machine for recreation, perhaps one of the bigger older ones.
Unfortunately, this Bombardier has to work for its keep.
We are up in the Canadian north in the Klondike gold fields. (yes, right beside where they make the "non reality" gold shows) There are very few vehicles that can get through the northern muskeg. Lots of recreational vehicles could go on top in diferent seasons but crashing through frozen bush, trees and moss mounds takes a strong vehicle. Especially when it is only half frozen. We get stuck and sink occasionally. On one of these sinking adventures the mud came to half way up the inside where your feet normally are.
It now looks like mud got into the actual clutch and destroyed it.
Fortunately we have lots of mechanics here. One was very happy to get the job of working on it in the heated clean shop, while the others where dealing with another piece of equipment that was stuck in the half frozen mud. A Cat D11 dozer, which weighs about a 1/4 of a million pounds.

J5 Bombardier

Pretty slow on the forum this time of year . When the snow fly's for us southerners , things will heat up here. J5 Bombardier :hammer: