• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac sprocket gear breakage.

akimp

After weeks of getting my Snow-Trac dialed in I finally took it to my cabin in the Talkeetna mountains in Alaska. I was pulling my 4x8 off road trailer on skis with 12 2x12x16 sticks of lumber. The Snow-Trac is not well suited to maneuver through tight treed trails pulling a trailer which caused me to do a lot of backing and winching. These machines seem to do great in the swamps were minimal turning was required. After about 6 miles a tight hill section got the best of me and I found my self using the hand brake that activates the disk brake setup on the drivers side. While winching I noticed that the left hand track stopped spinning. I made the assumption that I broke something in the variator. On further inspection I noticed the caliper attached to the left hand chain sprocket was broken were it attaches to the drive axle. After cum-alonging the Snow trac backworks into the cut out alder patch and hand-man jacking the left side up I tried to do the field repair. Removed the track, removed the outside nut on axle and drive sprocket. I attempted to remove the inside nut with no success. Using a 1/2 cordless dewalt impact (very powerful) the nut would not budge. I will have to go back with a torch and heat and try to break the nut loose with a impact again and if that does not work use a cutting wheel and cut the nut and cold chisel it off. Back to work for 2 weeks and I notice before leaving that the 3 gear sprockets I have (ST34) are the old style and do not have the drilled holes like the newer inboard brake models have. I e-mailed Christer Morlind in Sweden to see if he has one. Does anybody have a ST34 with the holes drilled in them I could purchase? The machine sits waiting in the woods. I'm selling both of my machines cheap when its fixed. Looking for something a little heavier duty like my J5. Thanks

Attachments

• ST4 hill.jpg
    ST4 hill.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 249
  • ST4 hill2.jpg
    ST4 hill2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 254
  • ST4 brake.jpg
    ST4 brake.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 247
  • ST4 gear.jpg
    ST4 gear.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 259
  • ST4 diagram.jpg
    ST4 diagram.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 262
  • ST4 jacked.jpg
    ST4 jacked.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 270
  • ST4 outside..jpg
    ST4 outside..jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 247

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to read both of your posts... at first I thought you needed the drive gear inside of the tracks...

You are needing the inboard "final drive" roller chain drive gear. I wish I could help you out, but I have a two band machine...

Any chance you could have your older two band sprockets drilled to accept the brakes of your three band machine? If this would work it would be the way I would go. They should have the same axle splines, and have the same numeber of teeth. You could use your old one clamped to the 2 band part to help you drill the holes in the two band sprocket..

Good luck, it may take some time and effort though.

Regards, Kirk

akimp

Yup I could drill the holes from the 2 band drive gear template. Might be my only option.
Thanks for your response.

akimp

ST34 drive chain sprocket new inboard brake model. Number 56 in diagram attached above.
Thanks JimVT

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have 2 gears for older models I do not have them for the inboard brake models I do know where there 2 but the machine sat on the coast out at saint Laurence island I'm betting it would be a bitch to liberate a sprocket if you need the one I have access to than pm me I will go get it.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take this for what its worth.....
When I am broke down in the field it is time to Mc Gyver......
It is just a brake drum..... Lose it for now.
Could you forgo the brakes.

Install the older sprocket on the shaft (if the splines are the same.....) It appear s the brake drum is what the holes are for.....

The shaft is made up on the inboard side by the nut and sprocket, To me they appear to draw up the bearing and shaft.....
The outside appears to draw the shaft against the hub and bearing.....

The holes are not needed to drive.

I apologize in advance if I am adrift....

$.02 Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you are right mike I have never seen the nut so tight I couldn't get it free with a cressent wrench if you want an older sprocket with out holes to get you out I have one its got some crappy teeth and a few missing all together if you want it it's yours for free it should get you home.

akimp

Mike you are spot on with using the old style sprocket. The holes are just used for the brake assembly. That's seems like the route to go while I have another sprocket face machined smooth to accept brake disk and holes drilled.
Don thank you for the offer on the sprocket. I have 3 of them in the parts collection that are the old style.
I was not happy when nut would not come off. The don't need a lot of torque.