• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ever search for free Snow Cats at these locations?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone called the following places to see if they have any old machine? I just read the following:
While manufacturered in Sweden, the Snow Trac proved to be a successful export and approximately 550 Snow Tracs were shipped to Alaska. At least 200 units were shipped to Canadian telephone utility Northwest Telephone in the Yukon Territory, Canada. Approximately 200 Snow Tracs ended up at the Canadian National Railway, and Snow Tracs were also located at each of the microwave sites along the length of the ALCAN (Alaska Canadian Highway). At least 400 more Snow Tracs were known to have been shipped to the Lower 48 states of the United States. At least 200 were known to have been shipped to Scotland.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
YES,Yes, & YES. I wrote what you read about where and how many. When I started collecting snow cat's I started by working the phone alot, I mean ALOT! I had 500$ a Month phone bills. I called dealers, the factories, power companies, Phone companies, auctioneers, and as I recently wrote in the thread about "Where to find a Snow Trac", Electric Motor Rewind Shops. Also Welding shops. You would be surprised how many leeds I got from welding shops. The Machines are so unique that they always remembered the repairs they did or the parts that they had to fabricate. I also Drove the ALCAN 7 times in persuit of machines. This takes one right thru the hart of ST4 country.

brianf

I worked for one of the companies that had snow cats all over the province, usally kept in storage sheds just off highway, but they usally sell off the machines after they hit a certian age,15 to 20 years old, most have only 100's of hours not many hit the 1000's, snow trac machines are long gone, they now run bombardiers and only have a few of them that they take to site as required, but once in a while machines that were lost in system pop up, last snow trac that went to auction was owned by shell,was like new almost no hours but only brought $3500.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
I also Drove the ALCAN 7 times in persuit of machines. This takes one right thru the hart of ST4 country.

Ever stop/stay at the 1260 Inn (mile 1260 of course, near Beaver Creek)? Was owned in the 80s by a retired cop who was one heck of a quick draw. Just wondering if it's still there and still in business. I used to service a military site near there every 3mos with our Imp.