• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Imp in Maine

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Puts Nixons imp into perspective?.

20k with a broken frame?

No expense spared except of course the welding necessary to keep the rear diff located in the machine.

sorry if this is someone on the forum. Just feeling spunky at the moment.

rdynes01

With Nixon asking 75K for his Imp do you mean that sometimes people ask unreasonable prices for their equipment?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could by two of the IMP in Lancaster, NH for 9K with the drag and then buy another one as a spare. Restoration that is known on here.

Thinking about selling my 69 Tucker missing pontoons tracks and some motor parts asking one million on Uncle Henry's. "All original" 95% there ran when parked will be my title. Maybe it will make the tv show Downeast Dickering?

Will be heading straight to Tuckerville after it sells to pick up a few things.

A fool and his money will soon part!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon has put a lot of work in to his he also has a super imp with the oc 12 and large inline 6 motor if I were going imp it would be a super imp all the way

Sierra M37

Are the Sprytes and Lightfoots any better/worse or is it really just the OC12 vs. C4 rear ends? Have an Imp WT coming up on auction here is Northern CA this Saturday and right now it's still under $5K. Going to inspect on Friday.

Thiokol Imp 1404 WT Snow Cat
S/N: T4C962 Ford 4CYL Gas 4 Speed Enclosed Cab, Heat, 58" Flatbed, Pintle Hitch w/ Ball, 32" Tracks Hours: 1,128

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
the "BAD", frame needs minor welding repairs, needs new (fabricated) rear end hangers and the rear end needs to be rebuilt.

I will give credit for an honest seller at least letting potential buyers know there are problems with the Imp. Too many sellers say excellent condition ready for the season to a buyer who finds out the tracks are bad, rear end is shot and the transmission does not function but the engine runs great.....:unsure:

Often if a snow cat is for sale there is a very valid reason beyond just the seller wanting to sell the cat.

"If a snow cat has low hours that maybe a sign that it never ran right from day one"
. This quote about low hour machines was stated to me by Bill Guthrie during one of our long snow cat discussions on what to look for when buying a used snow cat:w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the c-4 is a really good differential but with age and more work than they were intended to do they have got a bad rap. the oc 12 is a great diff on a smaller cat I would think it to be bullet proof. they have their limitations, their aluminum housings they wont handle a 6b cummins torque monster very long , and if I can find a down fall of the oc-12 it's that it hangs so low.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is it common for the frames on these things to crack? Where would one look closely is one was inspecting one?

there is no real frame.

the tub is a sheet metal enclosure that acts as the frame. the OC 4 is sort of hanging in there on a swivel mount. it is actually quite robust.

metal fatigues and cracks show up. I remember a cat flipper person selling an imp on ebay, it was really funny to see the rear end walk forward as his video depicted "grooming" The drag was buried in the dirt and little imp just dragged it right along with about a ton of dirt snow mix.

I would be more concerned with the square tube axle. look through the tube, You will see a bend.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With Nixon asking 75K for his Imp do you mean that sometimes people ask unreasonable prices for their equipment?

a super imp is a lot more cat than a standard imp.

a custom cab that a full size human can fit into, with the reliability of planetary brake steer has value.

If a distressed imp is worth 20K then an ok imp must be worth 40K right?

wouldn't it stand that a freshened up cat be worth 60K?

Of course some folks prefer hydro static so there is always the trail bully and trooper.....
Don't get me going on 10 year old high hour tuckers going for 70K-90K

nothing is unreasonable in todays economy. it is the magic of a buyer and a seller agreeing.....

jp11

While I haven't seen this IMP in person... I do know the gentleman that owns it. It's been around my local tractor shop. A whole lot of head shaking about how much money was put into the restoration.

My cat was the 9k one over in NH. I did a fair job of putting money into something that really was over the top.. but this iMP puts me to shame. If you take my 9k imp and threw brand new tracks on it, this price isn't much of a stretch. Functionally mine was much the same. I had a brand new overhauled C4. This one has my old one all beat with respect to custom stuff on the interior.

I do know that the resto sure adds up the dollar figures fast. No way this gentleman is getting his money out, even at that price.

JP

e2spear

Thank you jp11. For the rest of you old bitches you can keep searching for cheap junk. No one cares what you think it is worth.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Quite the contrary. People on here where you posted it do care what's worth because this is a forum of snowcat/sno cat experts and experience. I'm not that old. Might be a bitch sometimes.

Hope it sells for you at that price but expect Contructive criticism on here for anything posted. Great group of people sorry your offended at reality.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Obvious question here is how come you don't fix it and sell a running machine? Nice as it is plus with a drag groomer it would probably bring enough to pay the repair bill as well.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you jp11. For the rest of you old bitches you can keep searching for cheap junk. No one cares what you think it is worth.

If this was a frayed nerve I rubbed I think we mis-communicated...

I have a running imp and was offered good money for it sight unseen, I kept it as I feel it is worth more than the offer. (in this case the seller and buyer did not agree)

the Yellow machine is very nice, I don't care how the seller chooses to put it up for sale, (turn key or distressed) Many adults look for good deals on slightly distressed projects to get ahead in life so to say.
There are equally as many adults that would like a turn key machine.
One dimensional messaging is rough to convey sentiment. :flowers:
in my head any snow cat :
Good tracks equal $5k
good rear diff equals $5K
the rest of these machines are anything a shade tree mechanic can handle should they be inclined to crawl in and drop a few wrenches into places that can't be reached. the value of the motor and paint is priceless... to some

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree with all the above do the rear end repairs make it a turn key runner ask a fair price but not many folks out there are going to pay that much for a project. I respect what has gone into it as I have brought 2 back to living and hope to start on #3 soon. at the end of the day bargain hunters are looking for projects and the guy who will pay that kind of money for a machine like that, wants to load it on a trailer and drive away. just my 2 cents bravo about being up front about the condition.

e2spear

It is not mine so no emotional attachment for me. Just can not believe how you people think you know all machines. So many ifs but whatever.

I have an interest in snow cats, but little expertise - what little I have was mostly garnered though these pages because of the generous sharing of people who are experts - that said, I do have areas of considerable expertise, to the point that if someone described one, or some problems, I could likely name other problems that were the cause of the problem named - so it is with the people in this group - when additional information is offered about the possibility of a bent square tube axle, I'd suggest it's best to pay attention

jp11

I don't know exactly what's up with the machine currently. I know a local tractor shop did work on the differential before. I went the other way with mine, and crated it and sent it to Zimmermans. I can't say the tractor shop didn't do a good job, but I'm glad I went with the guy that does A LOT of rebuilds when I did mine.

This story may just be of heartbreak. The guy obviously has spent a ton of time and money on this cat. Maybe the diff breaking was just a 'straw that broke the camel's back'

It's easy, as an outsider, to say.. well, spend the 3k and get the rear end completely done. But.. if the guy is at his wits end, OR his WIFE says.. NO MORE! what are you gonna do? There are only so many people out there in the market for something that's really high end. The market IS there though. Someone will end up with this cat. I gather it won't be a shade tree mechanic looking for a deal though.

JP

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I hope he finds a buyer look at how much more turbinator put in to a real nice imp that Nixon re constructed I'm afraid it will be a hard sell I wish the best for him

I don't know exactly what's up with the machine currently. I know a local tractor shop did work on the differential before. I went the other way with mine, and crated it and sent it to Zimmermans. I can't say the tractor shop didn't do a good job, but I'm glad I went with the guy that does A LOT of rebuilds when I did mine.

This story may just be of heartbreak. The guy obviously has spent a ton of time and money on this cat. Maybe the diff breaking was just a 'straw that broke the camel's back'

It's easy, as an outsider, to say.. well, spend the 3k and get the rear end completely done. But.. if the guy is at his wits end, OR his WIFE says.. NO MORE! what are you gonna do? There are only so many people out there in the market for something that's really high end. The market IS there though. Someone will end up with this cat. I gather it won't be a shade tree mechanic looking for a deal though.

JP

Yep, could be health problems, financial problems or wife problems. Maybe he found another black hole to pour his money down too? Been there done that.:unsure:

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
a super imp is a lot more cat than a standard imp.

a custom cab that a full size human can fit into, with the reliability of planetary brake steer has value.

If a distressed imp is worth 20K then an ok imp must be worth 40K right?

wouldn't it stand that a freshened up cat be worth 60K?

Of course some folks prefer hydro static so there is always the trail bully and trooper.....
Don't get me going on 10 year old high hour tuckers going for 70K-90K

nothing is unreasonable in todays economy. it is the magic of a buyer and a seller agreeing.....

And then there's a Kirsti KT7 right lol

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter

JP

He was pulling a drag and temperatures do rise in the rear end of those little boogers Sounds busted up to me . Total rear end rebuild and welding up the busted brackets. Nice to look at price is going to come down likely to sell it. Best of luck to who ever is selling it…. I know none of us would want that problem

Snowcat Pat

Maybe someone should call the guy and find out the facts of the case.

At the bottom of the advert;

"I can be reached at 207-754-0136 anytime for questions."

Maybe one of our in the know members can help out...

...instead of all the maybe's.

-Pat

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like all this talk about IMPs and SuperImps... :)

Fact is that $75k tag that I put isnt a "firm" price, and its just a starting ball park price that I think the rig is worth... Its like been said - buyer & seller market out here - but with as much time and money that I've put into this project, I think its plain offensive to contact me with an offer of $10-15k... Not sure what people expect to hear from me for an answer... other than to think they are very uneducated and naive.

Wishing everyone a snowy winter, and hopefully will see you all at the Timberline Lodge next year, if God willing...!!!

Cheers