• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1200A/ DMC 3700, Suggestions?

teamster

Looking for information:
4 years ago I approached our local ski hill to buy there 2 old snow cats. The club bought both machines new, I think, and they had always been stored inside during the summer. Neither machine had been started in 10 years, 4 years ago. The Thiokol is 12' wide has only a winch on the back, 6 cyl Ford, standard transmission, OC 12 diff. The DMC 3700: has Allis Chalmers engine, front blade, rear tiller & rear groomer. This machine is 15'6" wide. The tracks & wheels were in poor condition on both machines. Frame cracks etc. I researched the history of both machines and the value of each at the time. I submitted a $1500 offer and proposed to haul it off the site. They rejected my offer. I told them that both machines were basically parts machines and due to their age, width, single cab and basically obsolete, there valve was whatever someone would give them. Since then, the roof caved in on top of both machines, They drug the Thiokol outside and they got the DMC started and drove it out 3 years ago. Since then they have been outside in the dirt plus they hooked onto them with a Cat and moved them. Now both only have 1 track left on them. Last Monday I got a call from the local club because there PB 200 broke down and they asked if I could roll there hill. I only live a 1/2 mile away. I took my Tucker down and rolled their runs with 30 feet of culvert rollers, 3 sections 10 ft wide. Now the hill wants me to make them an offer on those 2 old Cats. I have no interest in them, but the hill is a volunteer organization with no money. I skied there when I was a kid, both my sons and now my grand children are skiing there. I'm thinking of giving them maybe a $2000 donation and then dragging them off their site. I have no interest in having a couple old cats laying around, just want to help out. Any ideas? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

odis123

i might be interested in thiokol. what type of body does it have, the full box or small cab with flat bed? any other details (and pictures) would be handy.

undy

I think that if they got scrap value for them, they'd be doing well, all things considered. You offering 2K seems more than generous.

I fully relate to having grown up at a particular ski area and wanting to help. Next year it will be 50 years since I learned to ski at Tyrol Basin, it was my first job, and I'm still skiing there. My son learned to ski there at age 1 and he still instructs there. I think it's a valuable resource that I'd like to see continue to operate. Too many areas have gone away.

Are you familiar with NESLAP? Same idea.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread.:unsure:

teamster

The Thiokol is just a small cab with an electric winch mounted behind it and a small set of poles on the back that they used to hold the tow rope when splicing . I won't be getting home in the daylight for a week so unsure if I can get any type of pictures at this time. Sorry

odis123

i need a project with a bigger cab, at least two benches facing each other in the back. mechanics don't matter, it is for a static display.

RosickyRanchLtd

Hey Teamster. I would be interested in one. I live down near Fernie BC but come out to alberta often. I also have a triaxle gooseneck trailer, winch, and cash. Let me know when you get some more details. Thanks a lot.

Brett

teamster

I took these pictures yesterday. The DMC 3700 has a 180HP JOHN DEERE TURBO CHARGED engine. These engines were used in excavators and loaders, I use to work on them. They were not as fuel efficient as the Japanese engines but very reliable. The meter reads 2229 hrs and I believe it to be correct. The machine did run when they drove it out of the building 3 years ago after the roof caved in. The machines were always kept inside, but were not used for close to 10 years, causing flat tires and the belts were torn, not so much rotted. The 1200 Thiokol has 300 6 cyl Ford with standard transmission. Hr meters reads 1200 hrs, don't believe that. It just pulled rollers and stretched the tow rope when splicing. Last fall they moved both machines using a dozer when they were froze down causing axle and track damage. The Thiokol clutch and steering slaves need work but I'm sure the drive train is fine. I believe I could have both machines running within a day, if they were in my shop. If I was 20 years younger the 3700 would look all together different by next winter, or If I had a 1600 series Tucker I know were that John deere would be. Any suggestions now?. I told the Ski Club I will make a donation and have them off site by end of March.:ermm:

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 584

teamster

The DMC has 66" tracks and there is a compactor bar with wings to replace the tiller. The dozer has minor cracks but it's not all worn out and I not sure the compactor bar ahs ever been used. The Thiokol has 57" tracks with the OC 12 diff.

teamster

Update: I sold the Thiokol thru Kijiji for $4000 and I did nothing but tow it home 1 mile. I spent $3200 cash for materials and put in 130 man hours on the DMC 3700 and sold it today at Ritchies for $9500. I guess I got paid for my time. Here's a picture of the DMC before I hauled it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1046.jpg
    IMG_1046.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 428

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that gives lemons into lemonade a fair representation.

Saved some old iron from certain death.

Nice job, thanks for sharing