• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Watch for bad water pressure valve in home water supply!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been noticing some unusual water issues.
- A couple toilets water supply is pumping a trickle of water even though the float is correct.
- A leaky water line at my out-building's water supply (even though I just replaced it a couple months ago).
- Water bill increased 1500 gallons (about 35%) last month although our usage has been normal.

Started playing with the water pressure valve (decreasing the PSI). Even though I decreased the PSI, I'm getting a surge flow when I first turn on the faucet. Now I know the valve is bad.

Went online to find a new one. In doing so, I found that these valves are only good for 5-10 years! Well, mine is at least that old. New one is on order. I'll install it before starting to replace the guts on the toilets and water to building. Once the pressure is right, those issues may go away.

JPR had a different symptom (air in lines) but it too was the pressure valve.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=75447

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, went from about 150 psi to 48 psi. No more valves and shower heads leaking everywhere, and the washers are so much quieter!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think i have a pressure valve like yours. Mine is a well with water filling a sealed tank .the air in the tank builds up pressure as it fills and a pressure switch turns off the pump.
Although i had to level out a 6ft bank so the heifers could climb down for clean water yesterday. I own a artiesan spring and most of the wild animals use it.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't think i have a pressure valve like yours. Mine is a well with water filling a sealed tank .the air in the tank builds up pressure as it fills and a pressure switch turns off the pump.
Same here.

Bamby

I opened my water bill this morning and sat gasping at it. Almost 3 times the normal bill. Went out and looked at the meter and it was a turning though nothing was running in the house. Went down to basement and shut off the main and the meter is still turning nicely. So it seems I'm looking at yard excavation at hand. That lines been in place 40 years haft to wonder why or what created this leak.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I opened my water bill this morning and sat gasping at it. Almost 3 times the normal bill. Went out and looked at the meter and it was a turning though nothing was running in the house. Went down to basement and shut off the main and the meter is still turning nicely. So it seems I'm looking at yard excavation at hand. That lines been in place 40 years haft to wonder why or what created this leak.

Wha’d ya find?

Bamby

Haven't found anything yet.. Hy the time I ran all over town yesterday trying to find a place to buy a utility shut off and got back home I was pretty well flustered enough for the day.
I did fill a couple of containers with water and shut off the main at the meter. Drizzling rain this morning here so we'll see as the day progresses where it goes. My neighbor did offer me the use of his BX Kobata but even so it's so new a pretty looking I wouldn't want to be running it out in the rain either.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

That happened to me a few years back. I never could find the leak. In the end I ran a whole new water line to the house and put in two shut off valves along the way so at least I could narrow down any future leaks. I did tear up the yard and sprinkler system looking for that leak though.

Bamby

Well my neighbor came up Sunday with his brother in tow and they did the excavation for me. He inadvertently did some damage to the line with his hoe in the process. I then cut the line about 5 feet from the foundation and went and obtained and installed the parts yesterday and shes a holding with no movement on the meter so I thing we got her even though I never did get a chance to see where the original leak was located.

Bamby

Well my last water bill came in a 95 dollars @ almost 10,000 gallons for this one member household me. It was read the same day as I obtained the tool to shut off the main and did as such. This old boy ain't so full of :shit: that I flushed 10,000 gallons and there can't be anything improvement from here.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you still have a leak somewhere? That's a lot of water for 1 month.