• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Invasive plant help!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can anyone identify this plant. Broad leaf with large fleshy stalk. western PA.

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 56

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you have any pictures of it in the ground?

Can you break open the stalk or rub your fingers on the leaves and tell us if it stinks?

Did it look like the pic below a month or so ago?

If so, it's skunk cabbage. If it is, read up on it. It's normally worth keeping.

iu

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's not mine, FIL brought it over to identify. I'll go over and look later.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, more pics would be good.

It could also be Plantain or Burdock.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guessing against burdock ............ this has no flowers and stalks (bamboo like) get 7' high!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
at 7' tall, I'm now thinking it's pigweed. Does it get hairy looking buds on it when it grows?

Does it get flowers on it later in the year that look like queen anne's lace? If so, it's probably hogweed. If that's what it is, be VERY CAREFUL in handling it. It's one of the nastiest plants there is in our area. Look up phylophotodermatitis (which is what you can get on contact with the skin). Not sure if you get it from the PA variety of plant but there's "Giant Hogweed" in our area. I've called the DEP and they sent someone out to check the hogweed. If it's the "Giant Hogweed" variety, they send people out for something like 7 years to try to kill it. It's that hard to kill. What I found in my area is still noxious but they won't do anything with it.

Last edited:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think we found it. Polygonum cuspidatum - Japanese knotweed

Attachments

• 06_JapaneseKnotweedVale25June_3.jpg
    06_JapaneseKnotweedVale25June_3.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 49

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Knock on wood, I haven't seed that one around me before.

I just read it's an invasive plant that's hard to kill.

Good luck!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Manual eradication best, this helps they say ...... RM43 43% Glyphosate

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used it without the Epson salt some. I left the Epson salt out as I wanted a quick kill and reseed. It did what I wanted.

I sure it is better with the Epson salt.

Cheap enough to make a small batch for a test.

We are natural ingredients types here.

We do I d an ant killer (20 mule team borax / sugar / water) that works absolutely great.

loboloco

Thanks Andy.
I would like to hear from someone who tried this and how well it did or did not work.

Here is the graphic from Andy's link:
Works pretty good. may need multiple apps for grass. Does great on broadleafs though.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just ran into this also. Another happy user of home made weed killer. :thumb:

Attachments

• HomemadeWeedKiller.PNG
    HomemadeWeedKiller.PNG
    833.6 KB · Views: 40

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Just ran into this also. Another happy user of home made weed killer. :thumb:

I'm not surprised that it worked. It also poisoned the soil until it gets leached out by rainfall.

There are lots of things stored in your kitchen cabinets and under the kitchen sink that will kill green plants. That doesn't mean to say that you should be broadcasting them all over the yard.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The problem with the various salt mixes I have tried is that they plug up my sprayer tip and I have to keep cleaning it to keep it spraying. :sad:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you use the salt in the mix, nothing will grow back for a long time (at least a year).

If you omit the salt, it'll still kill plants but things can grow back again.