• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FDA may revoke Heart Health Claims about Soybeans/Soymilk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For years we've been told that "soy" foods are heath healthy.

The FDA approved this claim.

Now it appears that the FDA may retract this claim as there is a mounting body of evidence to suggest skepticism.

FULL STORY AT LiNK >>> http://time.com/5002476/soy-protein-heart-health-fda/

United States officials announced on Monday that they are moving to revoke a health claim that soy protein can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.

In a statement, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) says that it is, for the first time, proposing a rule to revoke the health claim that soy protein reduces a person’s risk for heart disease. ...

In 1999, the FDA allowed soy protein products to say that the protein could reduce risk of heart disease, but many studies since then have questioned the link. The FDA says there is some evidence that supports the connection, but that available evidence as a whole raises skepticism.

Our review of that evidence has led us to conclude that the relationship between soy protein and heart disease does not meet the rigorous standard for an FDA-authorized health claim,” said Susan Mayne, director of the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition at the FDA, in a statement about the agency’s decision.

The FDA is allowing a 75-day commenting period for the public and stakeholders to weigh in on the new rule. Yet even if the rule becomes finalized, it doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t see any packaging claims linking soy protein to a reduced risk of heart disease. ...

Until the FDA decides if it is going to finalize its new rule on soy protein and heart health, manufactures can continue using the claim on their products.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Over the years I found an interesting trend with all these health reports. Give them all enough time and they change completely. What was once good and bad for you becomes the opposite.

Moral of the story I eat what I want when I want. The key is moderation, not abstention.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
If the FDA's requirement were so"rigorous",.......... then how did the SOY incorrect info get the FDA's approval a few years ago?

jwstewar

My youngest daughter was lactose intolerant so once she went off formula they had us switch her to organic Soy Milk. Biggest mistake we've made as a parent. She immediately started gaining weight. Thinking it was just because she was starting to eat more food along with the soy. Figured she would out grow. We've now read enough studies that say the Soy has messed her body up to the point that she will have a very difficult time losing the weight.

Wish we would have had our goats then, she would have been drinking goats milk instead of some artificial crap.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Soybeans should be fermented before they are considered as a good food for people.

Unfermented they are an estrogen mimicking compound. NOT good for men especially.. Good only for older women.

Regards, Kirk