• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1201b hydraulic question

boondocker570

What type of oil is used in a 1201b Thikol for engine mounted hydraulic system.Taank is under driver's seat belt drive pump.thànk you

That system circulates the differential oil. Here is a pretty good thread on it. Snow Cat Pat is an expert on those.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7760

Not necessarily, my Sprite had a under the seat tank and engine driven pump from the factory, no differential involvement. Sounds like Boondocker's might be the same. I used John Deere Hygaurd Hydraulic fluid in both the aux hydraulics and in the differential.

boondocker570

Thanks guys,Alaska snow cat has the same system as mine ,under seat tank with belt driven pump.Belts are new ,tight and still have a good amount of belt squeal even after running the machine for hours.I can only feather the levers slightly to help avoid this.If I try to operate hydraulics quickly I get all belt squeal.

Snowcat Pat

I have always used AW32 in stand alone hydraulics in the snowcats. Been told its no good but it has served me well. Probably won't stop your belt squeal though.
-Pat

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I fought belt squeal until I realized the sheaves were glazed. I blamed every item in the circuit trying new fluid, different valves and mounts for the pump.

my pulleys were shot, my belts would bottom out and no amount of ajax or belt dressing will prevail. new belts worked for a bit then a couple air head moves on the sticks would slip the belts and the rest is history.

I agree ---glazed pulleys---u could try a wider belt it might not bottom out in the v---might get you by till the snow melts---check and see if you can go to double pulleys when you change them

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 2 problems you are likely to have is you are using a 7500 series automotive drive belt when you need a 9000 series belt, the 7500 is a 3/8 belt. try a wider belt the other one is a you need is a fractional drive belt it uses a different angle v and is intended for looser operations commonly you see them on equipment like snow blowers and tillers. also 8 gpm is about the largest pump you are going to get away with at 2000 psi with belt drive

PJL

Not necessarily, my Sprite had a under the seat tank and engine driven pump from the factory, no differential involvement. Sounds like Boondocker's might be the same. I used John Deere Hygaurd Hydraulic fluid in both the aux hydraulics and in the differential.

Ahh, didn't know that. Thanks. Mine has the diff oil system.