• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Health issues with "Shep", my GSD

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Middle of November my beautiful GSD “Shep” suddenly lost all practical the use of his rear legs. The local vet said it could be a tumor, Degenerative Myelopathy (DM), Herniated Disk or possibly damage to his existing hip dysplasia caused by a fall. Shep's mind was fine and he seemed perfectly normal, but pressure on his spine was causing a disconnect between his brain and rear legs, making it difficult for him to know where or what his rear legs were doing.

Tumors near the spine are generally considered fatal given their proximity. DM is also considered fatal as there is currently no cure and it starts paralyzing the animal from the rear and works its way forward. for all intents and purposes, DM can be tested for, but the tumor can only be seen with the aid of an MRI. Unfortunately, our vet doesn't have an MRI machine. So we drove to Greenville for an MRI but when we got there their machine was not large enough to accommodate Shep. The vet drew some blood for the DM test and suggested we wait for the results before going elsewhere for the MRI as they generally run between $1,500 - $2,500. If the DM test was positive there was no sense in spending money on an MRI. He suggested we keep Shep in tight confinement and hopefully it would be a damaged disk that would repair itself in 6-8 weeks.

So we took our dog home and quarantined him in a downstairs bedroom. Our floors are mostly wood so we had to cover them with throw rugs so he could stand without his legs sliding out from under him. We couldn’t just leave him alone down there alone so we put a mattress on the floor and moved downstairs with him.

It’s been rough. We were sick to our stomachs for the first month. We canceled Christmas and basically stayed holed up with Shep. I would stay with him for a few hours and then Trish would swap out with me. DM is a progressive disease that continuously gets worse, not better. But as the weeks dragged by we saw continuous signs of improvement, and although we were afraid to get our hopes up we allowed ourselves the much needed optimism that he didn’t have DM. It took 30 days for the DM tests to come back and thank God, he tested negative for the disease. His vet feels we can probably rule out a tumor as well, given that tumors seldom improvement and Shep has been steadily progressing in a positive manner. With 2 of the worst options out of the picture we are looking at a Herniated Disk or damage to his existing hip dysplasia issues. Both should get better with time, given he doesn’t fall and further inflame the problem.

So we are now into our 8th week and Shep has gotten well enough that we moved back upstairs a few days ago. We are still sleeping on the floor but at least we are back upstairs. Shep can now walk on the wood floors without slipping and falling. The damage seems to be mostly to his left side and although he can’t be left unattended when we take him outside, he does seem to be improving.

God has his plans and there is little I can do to change them. But a prayer or two probably won't hurt, should anyone have a couple they can spare.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was he given something while improving ....................?

Beaux our black lab is showing similar symptoms. He still gets around ok but his rears are getting weaker!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Glad to hear Shep is improving. Only other pet owners can truly fathom just how much our pets become part of the family.

Yes, there will be time for prayers on this end. God is good.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As you know we are dealing with DM. Glad to hear that you are NOT facing the same.

Really glad to hear that Shep is doing better!!!

Kane

Shep's an incredibly lucky dog to have such an incredibly caring owner. Prayers for both of you.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Was he given something while improving ....................?

Beaux our black lab is showing similar symptoms. He still gets around ok but his rears are getting weaker!
He is/has been on Previcox for several months. A few days after starting on Previcox he was running like a young dog again. Remarkable change.

One day I was taking the dogs down to the Jeep and we have to go down 19 steps on the stairway. They both took off down the stairs and (although I didn't see it) I heard a massive crash at the bottom. There was no immediate indication of a problem until the next day when Shep started having trouble getting up. The following day he couldn't walk.

After seeing the vet in Greensville he added Gabapentin and Tramadol to go along with the Previcox. We dropped the Tramadol 30 days into the treatment but he's still taking the Previcox and Gabapentin. I wouldn't think Beaux would need the Tramadol but you might ask your vet about the Previcox. Keep in mind, Previcox isn't a cure, just a drug that buys them some quality of life.

As you know we are dealing with DM. Glad to hear that you are NOT facing the same.

Really glad to hear that Shep is doing better!!!
Thank you MD and yes, I understand what you are going through. It's very tough and wears one out. I wish I had some advice to offer or something to make this all better, but you've been the caretaker longer than I and there is little I can say that you don't already know.

Last edited: