• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Computer question - Coming back from StandBy

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At the end of the day, my preference is to put the computer in "Stand By" as opposed to shutting it down. This leaves everything where I left off instead of having to open everything again the next day.

My issue is that it's taking a long time to wake back up from standby. It's not unusual to take 5 or more minutes.

Is there a way I can see what it was doing when waking back up from standby? Is there a log or something I can review?

I've just started testing but wonder if something like SpySweeper is doing a sweep as part of the startup process.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
When I see that, it's because its downloading a fresh virus definition file. Is your router or modem light blinking?

Another possibility is that it thinks it is overdue for a full virus scan. A continually blinking HD light would indicate this.

When you see this delay, hit ctrl/alt/del and look on the Applications tab to see what is running.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I see that, it's because its downloading a fresh virus definition file. Is your router or modem light blinking?
I'll watch the router and modem closer but my virus def file is a scheduled 8am task. My startup issue happens even before 8am.

Another possibility is that it thinks it is overdue for a full virus scan. A continually blinking HD light would indicate this.
I don't get a constantly blinking HD light. I also have my full scans as a manual task.

When you see this delay, hit ctrl/alt/del and look on the Applications tab to see what is running.
Can that be done before it comes out of standby? Heck, it's so slow (and far behind) that I get a black screen with a little moving box that says something like "Video mode not supported" for awhile before by sign-in box ever appears.

When I do that after it came out of standby, only the things that I have open are listed. It would be nice to see what it had to do (and was doing) to come out of standby.

Gatorboy

I never shut my computer down (unless I'm installing a board, etc.) and never put it in standby. You may want to do the same thing -- that will eliminate your problem.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I just did a little tinkering and turned off part of Spy Sweeper. My startup time is A LOT better (about 6 seconds instead of 6 minutes). Hmmm, I may be on to something.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's right, stay off the sites that require you to NEED Spy Sweeper :poke: .
I thought I did.

Heck, I was looking for an avatar (see this thread) and one of the first sites on Google hammered me with a bunch of crap.

It's happened to me more than once... Grrrr.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I just did a little tinkering and turned off part of Spy Sweeper. My startup time is A LOT better (about 6 seconds instead of 6 minutes). Hmmm, I may be on to something.
Glad I could help. :confused2:
There should be a way to disable the program on wake up from the options section.

As far as the 'bad stuff' you need to block the nasty ass COOKIES that invade your computer on a regular basis. Here is how ya do it:

While using Internet Explorer 7 (you DO have IE7 dont YOU???:poke: ) goto TOOLS then INTERNET OPTIONS. Go to the PRIVACY tab.
Click on SITES..... then hit DELETE ALL
Next click ADVANCED
Check in OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC COOKIE HANDLING
Under FIRST PARTY COOKIES check PROMPT
Under THIRD PARTY COOKIES check PROMPT

Then close er all up. No cookie will EVER get on your computer without you allowing it! :thumb:

OK........ now when you visit ANY site it will ask YOU if you will ALLOW the COOKIE permenantly or BLOCK it permanently.
Use your common sense. If the cookie doesnt have the name or part of the name of the website you a visiting DENY it.

GOOD LUCK!!!! It may be a pain the 1st time you visit a site, but you WONT have to do it again. :coolshade
As a test, visit foxnews.com OR msnbc.com and WATCH how much CRAP they want to put on your computer!:4_11_9:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 6 second wakeup yesterday was apparently a fluke...

Wakeup from standby was about 3 minutes today. That's better but still too long.

DS - No, I don't have IE7. When it came out, there were too many problems. I don't know if they've all been resolved but I'm not risking it. I use Firefox anyway.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BC,
I never go to standby. I will set the monitor to go off after 30 minutes of inactivity and I will allow the disks to spin down (stop). But that is all. The OS just sits there waiting for a key to be hit. The disks take a second or two to spin up but that is about it. I see no advantage to having it in standby mode as opposed to just stopping the disks and turning off the monitor.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
I use Firefox anyway.

I haven't found a better browser yet. FIREFOX RULES!!
It seems to me that windows is copying MAC and Firefox with their browser configuration now and Vista. Just my 2 pennies worth. :thumb: