• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Upcoming 500mile/800km hike: Southern France, over Pyrenees Mtns, then across Spain

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the lovely Mrs_Bob is dead serious about something that I suggested as a joke. Hiking the "Way of St James" also called the Camino de Santiago de Compostella along what is known as the "French Route" or the Camino Frances. The route formally ends in Santiago at the Cathedral, it is an ancient pilgrimage route, one started out of devotion and penance. It is now often walked for the same reasons, but also often taken as a personal challenge for many other reasons by non-Catholic/non-Orthodox and many non-religious.

The basic route starts in Southwestern France at the town of Saint Jean Pied de Port. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port Its at the foot of a Pyrenees mountain pass.

We are planning to start in late April 2016. At that time there is often still snow in the pass and through the Pyrenees. Our goal is to finish up in Santiago, Spain before the end of May. Allowing roughly 35-40 days to make the hike. Our ending point is the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Santiago_de_Compostela

It is possible we may continue on to Finesterra at the Atlantic ocean, that is uncertain.

I will post more about equipment, planning, etc as things progress.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking forward to hearing about this one!!!!!

When you first proposed this hike/pilgrimage I thought that it would be cross country over the Pyrenees. After doing some research I found out that's not the case but ANY month long hike is going to be tough. It's a long way but it seems that things are well set up to cater to hikers along the route. Best of luck to you both and I'm looking forward to seeing your equipment choices and evaluations.

Is Melen going on this one?

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I wish you safety on the journey.

I flew out of De gaulle the day before the Charlie Hebdo muslims attacked and murdered those innocent people.

as of TODAY, 25% of the French muslins SUPPORT the murderers.

I will NEVER return to France again.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I plan to do some equipment updates. Most of what I will be using will be the same stuff that I used on the Hadrian' Wall hike. That hike, at least the central portion, was more rugged than I expect this one across Spain. I will not take a cooking set. I will probably take a bigger first aid kit, focusing mostly on blister control/prevention/aid.

I will likely be wearing a hiking shoe this time, or possibly one of the new "trail runners" that basically look like a thick sole rugged running shoe. I love my Zamberlain light hiking boots but I think I can get away with something lighter for this trip. Not sure the shoe I will chose, but I want to check out the new LaSportiva trail runners and hiking shoes. Hear lots of good things about them.

Looking at possibly skipping the water bladder and switching to disposable water bottles and a hose system for drinking. Overall it should be slightly lighter.

One thing I will do this time is buy a new LIGHTWEIGHT/COMPACT "CPAP" machine to carry. They now make them that are the size of a soda pop can, weigh about 1# + power transformer + hose & mask. That will make carrying it a lot easier. My current CPAP machine is closer to 4# + power transformer + hose & mask and is about the size of a 6-pack of soda pop.

Looking to keep my total pack weight at 15# or less.

I wish you safety on the journey.

I flew out of De gaulle the day before the Charlie Hebdo muslims attacked and murdered those innocent people.

as of TODAY, 25% of the French muslins SUPPORT the murderers.

I will NEVER return to France again.

The route starts in France, we could skip the start but I don't see that as making a point that people will get. I'm at least heartened by the fact that the non-Muslims in France are taking a somewhat tougher stance. I'm also upset that the Jewish community in France seems to be taking a lot of abuse.

All that said, we will only be in France for the first few days of this journey. We cross into Spain and 90% of the journey is across northern Spain.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this one!!!!!

When you first proposed this hike/pilgrimage I thought that it would be cross country over the Pyrenees. After doing some research I found out that's not the case but ANY month long hike is going to be tough. It's a long way but it seems that things are well set up to cater to hikers along the route. Best of luck to you both and I'm looking forward to seeing your equipment choices and evaluations.

Is Melen going on this one?
Not sure if Melen is going. She will be in school when we start. There is a thought that she will meet us en route, probably about the 2/3rd or 3/4rd mark along the journey.

As for "cross country" the answer is no, not really. There is a good deal of road walking. There is a large % of gravel path walking. There is some semi-rugged trail hiking.

People die on the route every year. Typically either on the inclines, suffering heart attacks or exhaustion -- or -- at the start when crossing the Pyrenees during bad weather and they get lost/caught in a storm and die of exposure.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
People die on the route every year. Typically either on the inclines, suffering heart attacks or exhaustion -- or -- at the start when crossing the Pyrenees during bad weather and they get lost/caught in a storm and die of exposure.

Hellfire!!!! Nothing I read about the route mentioned "casualties". Logically, with thousands of people walking it every year, statistically one or two should drop by the wayside. :sad: I know that sounds callous but it's not how it was intended. It's just that with every age group and fitness level being represented on the route and the thousands who make the trip, or at least part of it, some will overestimate their capabilities and falter. Get in shape Bob, we don't want you, or the delightful Mrs Bob, to be one of them.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . Get in shape Bob, we don't want you, or the delightful Mrs Bob, to be one of them.

Well I prefer walking most/every day but the lovely Mrs_Bob has other plans. She downloaded a program that trains you to run a 5k mini-marathon over a 6 week period. We have been doing it for a few days now. Not sure how well that is going to work out, it alternates Walking and Jogging in short periods. So you walk 5min to warm up, then jog 1 min, then walk 1 min, then jog 1, then walk 5 then jog 1. So it geets your heart rate up, then down, then back up, etc. Eventually you end up not walking and instead just running the entire route.

I'm an ex-jogger so I'm having no problems, the lovely Mrs_Bob finds it harder.

But as I said, I would prefer just taking long walks to train for a long walk :whistling:

BTW here is an interesting article about the Camino from THE ATLANTIC >> http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/11/unemployed-i-went-to-spain-to-walk/265580/

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a great trip. A bit too much for me but my bum hip would make this a 1-year trip.
So you walk 5min to warm up, then jog 1 min, then walk 1 min, then jog 1, then walk 5 then jog 1. So it geets your heart rate up, then down, then back up, etc. Eventually you end up not walking and instead just running the entire route.
Do you think you should incorporate carrying your loaded pack as part of this regimen? How about packs + hill climbs?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stopped at a Barnes & Noble bookstore today and bought a detailed route map, with elevations, distance markers, etc. Its broken into 30+ stages for walking the route we plan to follow. LINK => http://www.caminoguides.com/mapsonly_frances/index.html

I also bought a detailed guide book for the route from Santiago to Finisterra & Muxia. LINK >>> http://www.caminoguides.com/camino_finisterre/index.html

They didn't have the guide book for the "French Way" from SJPP, France to Santiago, which is what I was hoping to find on the bookshelf. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Sounds like a great trip. A bit too much for me but my bum hip would make this a 1-year trip.

Do you think you should incorporate carrying your loaded pack as part of this regimen? How about packs + hill climbs?
Honestly no.

Not as part of this training regimen. I do find it helpful to carry a loaded pack on long local hikes/walks. But this training is for a 5k mini-marathon run and involves alternating walking/jogging and packs tend to bounce, which can contribute blisters/bruises along the hip belt and chafing along the top of the shoulder where the shoulder straps balance the load. The reason my wife wants to do this type of training early is to jump start our training.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just ordered a new shoe/boot for this trip. Not sure about it. Not even sure when it will arrive. I went to REI yesterday and it was not in stock in my size at the store. Ordered it from them online but its on back-order in my size.

Its sort of a cross between a trail running shoe and a boot. They call it a "mid" but really its a trail runner with an extended soft cuff to keep water/pebbles/debris out of the shoe. The "mid-boot" I ordered is the LaSportiva Synthesis GTX. From the photo you can see this looks more like a running shoe than a hiking boot, but that synthetic mesh skeleton around the shoe and the toe cap actually are pretty rugged, offering the protection of a light boot.

HomePage_MainBox_SynthesisGTX.jpg

"Light" hiking boots and shoes have been going through a massive technological revolution for the past 2 years. Synthetics, lighter more flexible soles, more breathable fabrics, better water-proofing, kevlar and other advances are really changing the look and performance of light hiking boots and shoes. These are suitable for hiking and backpacking with daypacks and light packs not exceeding about 25# (about 11kg). Ankle support is minimal to nonexistent, ditto insulation, making these 3 season footwear.

This move to adopt new technologies by the shoe/book companies to blur the disctinctions between "light hiking" and "trail running" boots/shoes.

Zamberlain came out in 2013 with their 230 Gore Tex Crosser light, flexible boot and their 129 (non-Gore Tex) & 130 (Gore Tex) Crosser shoes. Asolo introduced the Reston light hiking boot (actually more of a mid than a boot). The same year Innov-8 brought out their ultralight non-Gore Tex hiking boot that is lighter than many trail runners. This year Zamberlain and LaSportiva both adopted 360-degree active ventilation in waterproof trail shoes with the lightweight LaSportiva Synthesis shoe, mid, and boot and the Zamberlain 132 Airound shoe.

I currently also own the Zamberlain 230 Crosser boot and the 129 Crosser shoe. The 230 Crosser boot uses kevlar and carbon fiber to provide BOTH ankle support and LIGHT weight, in a package that looks much more like a traditional hiking boot. I would probably use my 129 Crosser shoe on the upcoming Camino EXCEPT for the fact that it is NOT a waterproof shoe. The 230 Crosser boot is a bit more than is needed and on a 500 mile hike I really don't want anything extra that I don't need.

Other companies probably have similar offerings. But basically these are light weight, flexible, breathable trail shoes that offer some level of water resistence. These shoes and boots weigh the same or less than many of the trail shoes, far less than traditional boots, and I think they are the wave of the future for light hiking.

At some point we won't really be talking about BOOTS versus RUNNING SHOES because footwear is evolving and lightweight trail shoes are now becoming not only rugged, but lightweight and flexible.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got my new LaSportiva 'hiking boots' 3 days ago, which was a very nice surprise because I thought they were on backorder.

Interesting 'boot' because it neither looks nor feels like a boot. Slipping it on it feels like one of the most comfortable and padded SLIPPERS that have ever been on my feet. They feel broken in right out of the box. Much more like a trail running shoe than a boot and that is a nice feeling. But that outside "mesh" design that covers the boot is actually a rubber protection layer that seems a lot more tough than it looks. The toe protection, which is actually 3 layers, is again much more substantial than it looks. Don't confuse this with a steel toe boot, but there is enough protection at the toe to easily protect the foot from rocks and roots that you'd find on any rough trail. The sole is clearly lighter than most boots, but far more substantial than a trail running shoe. I've used this for roadway jogging, walking, etc. and have worn them all day, each day, for the past 3 days and found them very comfortable for everything.

The insole in removeable. It also is softer than most of my boots, much more like the insole of a running shoe, with plenty of shock absorbsion. The outsole is rocker shaped at the heel and turned up a bit at the toe, good for walking, good enough for jogging.

As for being waterproof, I would say that is very true, so far. I have not walked through puddles or water, but I was using the hose in the yard and sprayed my right shoe directly with the hose, for about a full minute, no seepage, no nothing. Probably not a true test but I suspect a direct spray from a hose is more of a test than walking through a dew soaked field in the morning. On the other hand this "boot" is a mid hight shoe, so it is only waterproof up to the ankle, which means a deep mud puddle will swamp this and allow water to seep in through the top.

As for being breathable and allowing the foot to expel perspiration, so far so good. I don't find my feet getting too hot despite the fact that its been nearly 90 degrees here when I've been out jogging.

BUT THIS IS ONE BUTT-UGLY shoe/boot :hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like some nice footwear.

How's the weight compared to a light-weight running shoe?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like some nice footwear.

How's the weight compared to a light-weight running shoe?

Weight is about 12-14 ounces per shoe, larger sizes of shoes will obviously weigh more than smaller sizes.

So weight is similar to traditional walking/hiking shoes, but is heavier than light weight running shoes.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been wearing the LaSportiva "Synthesis Mid" hiking boot/shoes for a little while now. Try to wear them almost every day (assuming I am in casual attire I wear them).

Its summer in NW Indiana, temps are HOT and HUMID. I find that, with appropriate socks (post to follow below) they work well at keeping my feet from overheating. Being a Gore-Tex shoe they will never be able to breathe as well as other shoes/boots. But these do a very nice job of it WHEN I AM ACTUALLY WALKING. They have something that actively expells heat and sweat through the lower portion of the shoe while still being water proof. It seems to work. Until I sit down for a long period of time...then my feet tend to heat up. Start walking and they cool off again. Its sort of an odd experience.

Another thing I find odd are the shoelaces. Its a loop of strong/thin nylon(?) cord with a slip/lock style mechanism. You pull on the laces, slip down the slip/lock and it locks the laces into the tightness you set. There is one hook on the top/outside of the shoe that allows your foot to enter/exit the shoe because the continuous loop lace doesn't quite allow the shoe to open the same way traditional laces work.

I like this system but honestly worry about it breaking. On a 500 mile hike/walk across Spain I have to wonder where a replacement can be found if one of these laces breaks :neutral:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 281

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been trying out some WOOL-BLEND socks that are trademarked as "COOLMAX" socks. Several companies sell "COOLMAX" socks and I'm trying a couple pairs of my favorite DARN TOUGH brand and a couple pairs of BRIDGEDALE brand "COOLMAX" socks.

So far I have to say that I like these socks better than my traditional favorite Merino Wool socks. :flowers: They are definitely cooler to wear. But they are also high quality hiking socks.

Interestingly the Bridgedale sock uses some bamboo in their fabric. Not sure that I notice any real difference. But given the high heat and humidity, COOLMAX is a nice sock to try if your feet get warm.

Here is the BRIDGEDALE sock. It has moderate padding on the bottom of the sock, but its only lightly padded. There are other padding options but I tend to prefer the 'light hiker' socks to socks with heavier padding. The portion along the top of the foot is thinner, non-padded fabric. The padding extends over the toe and up the back of the heel. The DARN TOUGH brand "COOLMAX" socks I own are very similar in construction/padding. My Merino Wool socks from DARN TOUGH also look pretty much the same, but other than a bit of elastic, they are all wool. I do have some SMARTWOOL PHD "Ultra Light" Hikers that look similar but have less padding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 277

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on Bob, you and the misses could start a new discovery series " trekking naked and afraid the long haul " think of all the things you wouldn't need :whistling:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
To reduce weight in the pack only take multipurpose items
:yum:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 269

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Come on Bob, you and the misses could start a new discovery series " trekking naked and afraid the long haul " think of all the things you wouldn't need :whistling:

Well I was going to post up a photo of another piece of gear. Not quite "naked" but close.

UNDER ARMOR "Heat Gear" Boxer Briefs.

Let's just say that I will not jepordize this forum by posting a Kim Kardashian style 'selfie' of me wearing the above brand of undies.

But I'd also add that the 'boys' are not happy at all by the crushing fit they provide. Support is not an issue, rather it is the fact that the pouch is so constricting that its like putting the boys into a binding that attempts to unfairly cram them up into the body cavity.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting shoes Bob. I have more then a passing interest in shoes as I have Stage 2 PTTD in my left foot with medium difficulty doing the heel test. Orthotics help tremendously and of course good quality footwear is a must. NO flip flops, sandals or crocs for this old boy. :yum:

My current hiking footwear is two pair of Merrill Yakota Trail shoes. One pair is the Ventilator and the other the waterproof variety. Worn according to conditions, of course. I also wear them with casual dress. I would consider myself much too conservative and old for the look of those La Sportivas. I also prefer the more traditional type of lacing.

At any rate, I will be interested to hear how they work out.

mens-merrell-yokota-trail-vent-canteen-marmalade-469369_450_45.jpg

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Another item I never venture without in the wild is the
Sattelite communicator

I use the inreach unit and maybe there are better but it has the ability to text
Through the sattelite link. To anybody and them back. And if you send someone the " key code " they can See where you are at anytime there is a monthly fee I think about 35.00 And you can choose when you want it off or on. It does have the one touch
"SOS" button if needed and gives you the ability to text to them what's wrong and them back.

JMO

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've considered the SPOT satellite communicators, they are reasonably inexpensive and allow basic communication & have emergency beacons. But I am rarely in areas that are remote enough for those.

On this upcoming hike, its actually never in totally remote areas. Its essentially a series of day hikes from village to village to village and passing through some good size cities too. Not really the type of hike that requires satellite communication, in fact I understand that cell signals are strong and reliable along most of the trek.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've considered the SPOT satellite communicators, they are reasonably inexpensive and allow basic communication & have emergency beacons. But I am rarely in areas that are remote enough for those.

On this upcoming hike, its actually never in totally remote areas. Its essentially a series of day hikes from village to village to village and passing through some good size cities too. Not really the type of hike that requires satellite communication, in fact I understand that cell signals are strong and reliable along most of the trek.

Well then, you can call ahead and have the rum and cokes ready then!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
LADIES WARNING: contained in this thread may be more personal information and or discussions of the male anatomy than your delicate constitutions may endure, proceed at your own risk.

MEN: This is a serious thread, but clearly male sensibilities meet a somewhat lower bar than that of the ladies, still I encourage you all to keep this "family friendly" when you post.

Unless I am totally clueless we men may choose to hike/walk/wander wearing 'boxers,' 'briefs,' the new 'boxer brief' or nothing at all (aka 'Commando').

In my normal non-walkabout life I generally prefer the loose fit of the 'boxers' which allows for massive airflow and ventilation of the boys, but when I am on a hike or a long walk, the option of some support for the twig & berries, combined with the reality of chafing of the thighs, leads me to the 'boxer-brief' hybrid undergarments. This is especially so in hot & humid conditions.

Being a certifiable (actually my mom had me tested and I'm technically not 'certifiable' but my wife debates that point) "gear junkie" I tend to buy, test, try, and generally abuse as many different types of gear as I can afford.

Here are my conclusions:

If you WANT SUPPORT then "briefs" or "Boxer-Briefs" will fullfill your needs, but all are not created equally.
If you WANT PROTECTION from chafing then "Boxer-Briefs" may be your inner thighs new best friends.
If you WANT maximum VENTILATION then "Boxers" are the clear choice, but not all are created equally.
If you WANT VENTILATION + SUPPORT + PROTECTION from chafing then the newest high tech fabrics, in "Boxer-Brief" cut, with 9" inseams are your best choice.​
DISCLAIMER: I did NOT test any of the MERINO WOOL undergarments.

First, and most obvious, observation: COTTON (or COTON) is the worst possible choice for undergarments. It retains moisture, which yields a wonderful enviornment for bacterial growth, providing ample opportunities for dreaded 'crotch rot.' Cotton also does not breath when it gets wet so any hope of ventilation is eliminated in hot/humid environments.

After numerous trials, I narrowed down my search for VENTILATION, SUPPORT & ANTI-CHAFE PROTECTION to 3 finalists.

UNDER ARMOR "Heat Gear" boxer-brief with 6" inseams
EX OFFICIO 'Give n Go' boxer-brief with 6" inseams
EX OFFICIO 'Give n Go' Sport Mesh boxer-brief with 9" inseam
The clear winner of those 3 finalists was the EX-OFFICIO Sport Mesh Boxer-Brief wtih 9" inseam. It has the most open fabric weave of any brand I tried. The longer inseam provided extra Anti-Chafe protection, but it also allowed the brief to hug the thighs over a larger surface area which minimized the fabric from riding up the leg and bunching in the privates region. There is just enough crotatorial support to keep your personal gear in place but no so much as you need to reach down to make adjustments or alter yourself for comfort.

RUNNER - UP was the EX OFFICIO standard 'Give n Go' boxer-brief with a 6" inseam. NOT as breathable as the 'sport' version because it uses a different fabric. Also the legs tended to be slighlty more likely to ride up into the crotchal area and crush the junk. The gripage of the package offers only modest support and allows for some free willy movement, providing a casual and comfortable environment for the fellas.

LOSER BY A METRIC MILE:whistling: The UNDER ARMOR Heat Gear boxer briefs. These had a nice light fabric and provided a good amount of ventilation. They provided plent of supportive protection for the twig. But they had a smaller than average 'pouch' that tended to want to crush the berries. And by crush I do not mean like simply squeezing them in a vise, no, not that gentle. I mean like wanting them to be crushed by a hydraulic claw while simultaneously trying to stuff them back up inside your body cavity.

Others tested were not as good as these 3 so buyer beware. Clear winner was the pair the bottom of this photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 237

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have two pair of the 9" inseam that you rate so highly. I got them from backcountry dot com. I bought them strictly for the long inseam. I like them well enough, I guess. My last hike was in 91 degree temp with 71 degree dew point and I cannot imagine wearing cotton briefs in that situation. I was sweating bullets by the time I made it to the summit.

Yes, I would rate them highly as well, but I have done no comparison testing. I got lucky I guess. :biggrin:

Be kind to the boys and they shall be kind to you.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, this thread has not been updated in quite a while but the trips plans are progressing.

NOT PLANNING to take an iPad on the trip.
But I may be taking a MacBook Air in my backpack?​

The lovely Mrs_Bob hated drinking from her Camelbak Water Bladder because she felt there was an off-taste to the water caused by the bladder. While it is a very convenient way to carry water on a long hike without access to water sources along the route, the Camino will have plenty of places to buy bottled water en route.
[intent]We are exploring some of the water bottle hose attachment systems to connect a drinking tube to commercially available water bottles. It would be lighter than a bladder system + it would eliminate the objection that the lovely Mrs_Bob has to the after taste.[/indent]

Most gear will be similar to what we needed for the Hadrian's Wall trip. We will be walking through a LOT more small towns, with much more opportunity for food & water along the way. Far less hiking in remote regions, far more walking in city, suburbs, semi-rural.

• We will be adding several sets of LEKI rubber road tips for our trekking poles. Without rubber tips, trekking poles make a click/clacking noise on pavement and much of this trip is along roadways. Used these in England, but lost some of them along the way, taking several sets this time.
  • 1 duffle bag to carry my backpack & 2 sets of poles. Have not found one that is ULTRA light weight and still large enough. Looking at the OSPREY pack bag. Tested an Outdoor Research but it was slightly too small, the design was great, weight was about 10oz, it folded into its own compact pouch but the gear didn't quite fit.
    We don't have quite the luggage storage options on this trip as we cannot rely on my sister in London due to travel plans she has with her family. So we will take far less on this trip and carry more every day.
  • 2 Sea-To-Summit sleeping bag "liners" with bug protection (anti-bed-bug treatment) as in some areas bed bugs may be an issue. We don't need real sleeping bags, the accommodations are supposed to be warm/hot in the summer with no air conditioning. So lightweight liners will suffice.
  • 1 new, compact, CPAP machine for my sleep apnea issues. Looking at 2 different brands(Transcend and HDM Z1), each about 1.5 pounds in weight (machine + power supply). Z1 is slightly smaller/lighter but uses disposable/expensive filters and a non-standard hose. I'm leaning toward the Transcend because it is more compatible with standard hose and has washable filter.

• 2 inflatable backpacking pillows (?) Sea-To-Summit or maybe NEMO brand? Sea-To-Summit is lighter/smaller. NEMO's is bulkier and more comfortable. Actually not sure either will make the final packing list.

Lighter weight clothing as this trip will be much warmer. In England we were lucky when days hit 55 degrees (F), but its likely we will see 77-85 (F) in Spain. So we'll ditch the down vests, probably keep the fleece just in case? Rain gear will be the same, what we got was awesome!

Pants will probably be a total of 2 pairs of "zip off/convertible" light weight pants. Identical color/brand. Quick dry fabric.

Boots will be identical for the lovely Mrs_Bob, she loves her mid-height KEEN boots. But I am switching to LaSportiva Synthesis GTX ventilated, but water proof, mid hikers. They are built like a running shoe, lower and a little cooler so more suitable for summer heat.
FWIW, I am loving the new LaSportiva SYNTHESIS GTX mid-hiking boots.
  • They are basically heavy duty running shoes, soles are well padded against rocks like a traditional hiking boot but they flex much more like a running shoe.
  • They also seem to be very waterproof, at least as long as the water doesn't come over the top! And they breathe far better than traditional Gore-Tex so they are much cooler than most Gore-Tex shoes. There is some new technology they use, a few other high end shoes have also adopted it that allows for far more breathability but still retains the traditional water proof qualities of Gore-Tex.
  • I also really like the foam collar around the ankle. The same shoe is offered with, or without, that collar. It helps keep little pebbles and gravel, as well as some mud/water out of the shoe. Nice touch, not much more weight. They also offer a 'boot' version. So you can take your pick of styles/heights.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, and I am going to brush up on my Spanish lessons.

Dug out an old box of ROSETTA STONE Spanish Level 1. That will be part of my trip training.

I have tried to learn Spanish in the past. I find the language is too fast and fluid for my ear. But there is a greater urgency for me to learn at least some of it for this trip. Somehow I managed to learn German, with its guttural harsh sounds many years ago and I still remember some of it but Spanish has always eluded me. Maybe this time I can spend more time trying to learn it as I have more motivation ... especially given the length of this trip.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
There are also some free translation apps for your i-Phone that may get you out of a bind.

I've always favored the more traditional form of hiking boot but that, I think, will have to change. This summer when we visit Scotland, my son is threatening to take me fly fishing at a remote Highland loch that he has access to. It means a full 1-day hike in, stay in an old bothy with no toilet or water, or any other amenities for that matter, and another full one day hike out. I don't think that my 4-pound plus, leather hiking boots are going to cut it. I'll have to check out those LaSportivas but there are so many choices these days in lightweight, waterproof hiking boots.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Frank, take a good hard look at the lightweight Zamberlain boots, the 230 GTX Crosser is what I have, I think they may have a newer model out now that is similar. Full synthetic, still offers support of a heavier boot but without the weight, and the soles are flexible while offering protection from rocks underfoot.

They have recently come out with a shoe version that uses the same technology of the LaSportiva... waterproof + highly breathable so your feet don't overheat. I'd have strongly considered them if they had been available when I bought the LaSportiva but I'm not sorry with my choice.

FWIW, my old style leather boots were donated to a charity resale shop. I have no regrets. There is something to be said about new technology in clothing/footwear!