• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Backwards Spryte

Tater

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I can't quite figure out which thread I should post this in, if I guessed wrong please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'm shopping for a Spryte and found this one on Craigslist in WY. Nice looking deck, but after staring at the pictures I realized that it is backward, the drive axle is in front! Has anyone seen this before? I like the idea of having the engine outside the cab but am wondering if the tracks will have issues running backward. Or if the back axle will have issues with the extra tension put on it from this configuration.

Here is a link to the craigslist post: http://wyoming.craigslist.org/snw/5210007993.html

Attachments

• 00d0d_afrMOejC6hL_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_afrMOejC6hL_600x450.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 426

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I can't quite figure out which thread I should post this in, if I guessed wrong please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'm shopping for a Spryte and found this one on Craigslist in WY. Nice looking deck, but after staring at the pictures I realized that it is backward, the drive axle is in front! Has anyone seen this before? I like the idea of having the engine outside the cab but am wondering if the tracks will have issues running backward. Or if the back axle will have issues with the extra tension put on it from this configuration.

Here is a link to the craigslist post: http://wyoming.craigslist.org/snw/5210007993.html

Tater,

Welcome aboard !
That is a model 201 Thiokol they do fine in the snow unless severely steep with front drive they have the tendency to lift the front which is good for running in a swamp not as good running over a hump on a steep slope. I've includes a picture of one in snow.

I think the price it high for a machine that needs a clutch installed but the important part is the differential and the track condition those are the two that can cost the most to repair

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

201spryte

Hello Tater-
The pic Boggie posted is actually my 201. Its a real simple machine to work on with tons of access to the driveline. Because of the larger straight-6 170ci ford used in this cat there is no need for an auxiliary transmission like some others have. Replacing a clutch would be very easy as its only dropping a driveshaft and then a bellhousing/scattershield instead of a heavy transmission. Also since the drivers position is directly over the transaxle the shifter and steering levers come straight up through the floor with no linkages or hydraulics. Thats 2 less master cylinders and slave cylinders (4 cylinders total) to have to worry about leaking. Torsion axles make for a smoother ride and less fuss when changing tires. Track adjustment is done via screw vs the messy grease pressure method of others. Motor parts are super easy to find as they are the same as any similar year ford 170ci- mine is a 1963 so when looking for parts I buy them for a 1963 Ford Falcon. I have never had any performance issues with the reversed style of this cat as the weight of the passengers is still over the front of the machine- and in my case that weight is SUBSTANTIAL.

The only issues I have with my little 201 is that the cab is just little. I am 6'5 and I have to crouch over when sitting in the cab. I have thought about cutting the seat riser down but haven't gotten around to it and honestly it doesn't bother me enough to actually do anything about it. Also the cab is interesting to get in and out of as you have to climb up onto the deck to do it. Lastly is storage or ease of tool/equipment carrying. The narrow deck around the cat is OK but if you need to carry something big it gets awkward.
I have thought of replacing the motor hatch with a full-width flatbed but again the time/energy to modify it is not justified by the small hassle.

loaded pic-

Of course dogs love the little 201-

Hi Boggie!
Nice to meet you over the summer- I am hoping for a good winter here in AZ so I might be able to use the new 1450 I bought at the WSM auction. Its sad but I have not even taken it off the trailer yet.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Boggie!
Nice to meet you over the summer- I am hoping for a good winter here in AZ so I might be able to use the new 1450 I bought at the WSM auction. Its sad but I have not even taken it off the trailer yet.

Likewise, nice to have met, see I should have bought that 1450 it was a nice one
I think the nicest I've seen in a long time. What size ball was that trailer? Don't you have wedding or something to go to?:whistling:

Tater

Thanks Boggie and 201Spryte. I tried Google and couldn't find anything. You guys answered my questions thoroughly.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 201 uses the same OC-4 differential as the A-Model Spryte but does not have the gear reductions the Spryte uses.

Nojeeep

Do you guys have more 201 pictures. I bought a Spryte that was a swamp runner. I tossed most of it because it was eaten by salt water. I plan on building one from scratch, or at least something that resembles a 201. Thanks.