• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker and Trailer Truckee Craigs

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now we are up to three of those trailers. One red, one that PP found that was yellow & blue, and now this one. I kind of like 'em! Little party wagon! :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I too like the tracks. What Cummins does it have?
likely it isn't a b or c cummins.it would be the old v6 based on the 904 platform. folks either love them or hate them the real problem it was a short run engine and parts are getting scarce

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
likely it isn't a b or c cummins.it would be the old v6 based on the 904 platform. folks either love them or hate them the real problem it was a short run engine and parts are getting scarce

I saw this machine for sale a few years ago on Craigslist. I'm not positive but I believe the engine is a Cummins VT-378. It was available normally aspirated or turbocharged, and my memory is this machine has the turbo.

I think Don is correct on the parts issues (hard to find and expensive when you do). And compared to the 6BT series, significantly less power.

As a wide track machine it's quite a bit heavier (probably pushing 10,000 lbs) and those tracks make it close to 10' wide. So you'd definitely be an oversize load.

But it certainly has a coolness factor to it!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Don is correct on the parts issues (hard to find and expensive when you do). And compared to the 6BT series, significantly less power.

But it certainly has a coolness factor to it!!!

I agree with this totally!! Those V6 engines back in the day are long gone, unfortunately. Cummins did not get a good result with it, or the 555 cdi. V8 of the same series.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk this was my summer for bigfoot sightings had an opportunity to work on an A- series cummins and i have a 904 cummins in a retired coastguard utb boat to work on over the winter i will soon have intimate knowledge of the v series cummins engines.

teamster

I asked about the Cummins, because mine has the VT 378. I'm still working on my complete cab modification and I'm allowing for the installation of a longer engine than this V6. But I don't think there's another diesel engine out there that turns over 3200 rpm, except a Detroit, that would be suitable replacement. The V6 Cummins were not that bad of an engine if you keep them above 2800 RPM. They tend to break cranks if you lug them done. If you pull the throttle out and leave it there, that lasted along time. Nothing like a good inline 6 cylinder diesel but as good as any other V style diesel. I'm a FIRM believer that the only truly good diesel is an inline 6 cylinder. Upgrading my Tucker to such an engine would require gearing changes.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I asked about the Cummins, because mine has the VT 378. I'm still working on my complete cab modification and I'm allowing for the installation of a longer engine than this V6. But I don't think there's another diesel engine out there that turns over 3200 rpm, except a Detroit, that would be suitable replacement. The V6 Cummins were not that bad of an engine if you keep them above 2800 RPM. They tend to break cranks if you lug them done. If you pull the throttle out and leave it there, that lasted along time. Nothing like a good inline 6 cylinder diesel but as good as any other V style diesel. I'm a FIRM believer that the only truly good diesel is an inline 6 cylinder. Upgrading my Tucker to such an engine would require gearing changes.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how you're going to deal with the extra length of the inline engine (presumably a 6BT)?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the seller sold the trailer and raised the price on the cat .looks like Im back on the hunt for a snowcat .

Hey Aaron, Try Mary at snowtrans.com I believe she has more than one rubber track Tuckers and you will not have an obsolete diesel that parts are hard to come by. Gas pots start easier when cold too. Good people to work with and been around for a long time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
most of the modern diesels start as easy as the gassers some of the older engines can be temperamental. I wished I knew what Detroit ran 3200 rpm they just sound that way because they hit twice as many times being a 2 stroke the 8.2 diesels may spin a little faster as do the v-8 internationals and 6.2/5 gm engines look at some of the jap motors like the 4 cylinder Isuzu engines from the npr trucks and the German mb engines those also spin pretty fast.

teamster

Blackfoot, the engine compartment is so short with the V6 Cummins in it that IF I ever change the engine I will the extend the frame forward, move the rad ahead and build a new hood. There's lots of room between the existing rad and the dozer frame. I will be getting back to work on this project shortly and I'll post progress pictures as I go.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A good source for a diesel engine that is not worn out is a retired combine. Combines rarely get over 3K hours on them before they are no longer viable for rebuilding. The engine on board is only half worn out at that point..

So look to agriculture for used and reasonably priced good used diesel engines. You can pick the manufacturer, as different brands use different engines. Combine salvage yards are all thorough out the Midwest..

Regards, Kirk

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Blackfoot, the engine compartment is so short with the V6 Cummins in it that IF I ever change the engine I will the extend the frame forward, move the rad ahead and build a new hood. There's lots of room between the existing rad and the dozer frame. I will be getting back to work on this project shortly and I'll post progress pictures as I go.

All of my Tuckers have come with the butterfly style hood. I hate it, and on the project Tucker decided to change to a one-piece tilting hood and grille. Sounds simple...short story: It wasn't.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the way the hood tilts on the thiokol2100 is pretty nifty it flips forward over the top of the radiator and grill.