• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat Flippers: Maybe a New Low?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
When it comes to buying and selling snowcats it's one thing to buy a machine, spend some time doing maintenance and repairs, and then once it's up to standard sell it at a REASONABLE profit. There's actually some value added in the transaction. However to buy one and a couple of days later take your purchase price and tack on an obscene profit is ridiculous. Our friend of "Monster" fame in SLC has, in my opinion, reached a new low for that practice.

There was a fairly high hour Spryte that sold Tuesday at the Ritchie Brothers auction in SLC for $8K. Here's a forum thread on that machine: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=74735

Literally two days later it's for sale on ksl.com for...wait for it...$21,900! If you look at the Ritchie Brothers photos, there's one of the hour meter and it reads 3,949.4. In the listing below it's described as "only 3,400 hours on this snowcat". (Would that be considered fraud?)

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=41577272&cat=146&lpid=&search=&ad_cid=5

When it comes to dealing with this seller the Latin phrase caveat emptor comes to mind (buyer beware).

I see the same thing every year after the Ritchie auctions up here. The ding-a-lings leave the Ritchie sticker attached too! I figure(hope) most of them end up choking on the equipment and don't sell for anything close to what they are asking. You can go to Ritchie's site and go back several years to past actions and see the winning bid price.

I don't have a problem if a guy gets a good deal at auction and then sells at market value but that Spryte is way over priced and only a fool would pay that amount.

ssort

give the "MONSTER" credit for consistency at least...............

I've watched his act for a few years. Same story, buy low, slap some paint on them, reuse the same ad copy, list high. I guess he sells them to someone?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
at the end of the day it is only worth what someone will pay. if he cant make a deal it aint worth nothing until he can come to an agreement with some one.i have tried this with other products found reasonably priced items don't get as many calls as overpriced crap does I guess folks still think they are getting what they pay for

Aaron Tucker

I hate this jeff guy , he sold me a cat and was a total scam. Bug rip off . I did tons of work and just sold it . Looking for a new cat now

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our reputation follows us... its pretty simple...

Anyone who is naive enough (not smart, stupid, got lots of easy money, just got a lot of spare more, doesnt think much, doesnt have a "snowcat" savvy friend) IS the perfect buyer in such cases.

In all the honesty, its a "free market" and supply/demand is whats driving the market.

If you can sell it - why not!!! :)

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I kind do agree with Nixon when a friend asked me about a rtr rig I suggested nixions there were plenty of other rigs out there for lots less but I would hardly qualify them as ready to run

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Our reputation follows us... its pretty simple...

Anyone who is naive enough (not smart, stupid, got lots of easy money, just got a lot of spare more, doesnt think much, doesnt have a "snowcat" savvy friend) IS the perfect buyer in such cases.

In all the honesty, its a "free market" and supply/demand is whats driving the market.

If you can sell it - why not!!! :)

I agree that "our reputation follows us..." In fact one of my favorite quotes, and one I live by, is from retired Senator Alan Simpson of Wyoming: "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters". It's important to me that when I look at the guy in the mirror, I can do so without shame. While it is a "free market" misrepresenting things for sale is dishonest. Period.

I bought my first two Tuckers from Snotrans. The first was one of their machines, the second was sold on consignment and the machine's owner told Bill Guthrie all the carriers had been "rebuilt". That's how it was represented to me.

After I got the it home and off the trailer, I started tearing into it for some modifications. Here are some photos of one of the "rebuilt" carriers.

It wasn't okay with me, or with Bill. He was furious and told me later he had another consignment machine from the same seller and he had called the guy and told him to come pick it up. He would never do business with him again. Bill Guthrie valued his reputation.

I suppose to you (and perhaps others) that's all fine and good. "Buyer beware"... (Note: If you aren't familiar with Dana 60 full floating axles the bearing in the first photo is not visible until you remove the axle shaft.)

Attachments

• DSC01144.jpg
    DSC01144.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC01146.jpg
    DSC01146.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC01147.jpg
    DSC01147.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 329
selling something "as is", or with the statement, "as far as I know", is a buyer beware statement - "I rebuilt the motor ( or what ever )" and you didn't, is a lie and deserves jail time at least, if not lynching - lol

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Been there, done that. Hope his (the guy that sold me my cat) Karma runs over him.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
But in the end... why blame someone else for not doing your own due diligence... or for being negligent to your own decision...

Its always easy to blame someone else for any wrong doing... dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to side with anyone... its rather siding with the side of common sense...

Just use common sense... and if you dont got enough - look for someone who does! :)

Wish best of luck to everyone!!!