• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1964 Thiokol Spryte model 1201

64Thiokol1201

Hello, I am a new poster. I am looking at a 1964 Thiokol 1201 with the Ford Industrial 6 cylinder. Any specific items I need to inspect prior to purchase??? Other than the motor which I am familiar with. Thanks for any help.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
always look at the condition of the road wheels,suspension components drive sprokets and most important is the condition of the track and belts rebuilding a track can get expensive and be labor intence

Dr. Zaugg

If the present owner will let you, I would drain about a cup of oil out of the center drain on the differential housing and a little less out of each of the drop boxes. This could show you metal filings or bearing bits. OR if the guy is super cool you should pull the rear cover and take a peek. Sometimes the pinion gear is very worn with no other way to know other than sight. (they break off too) Very expensive in there!

64Thiokol1201

Thank you for the quick response. I am going to inspect next weekend and purchase if OK. The time window to inspect is very limited. Are drive train parts hard to find even if expensive? I heard the drive train is all Ford parts and therefore available, is this correct or wishful thinking. I can handle just about anything mechanically I believe, so the cost would be in the parts and the effort to locate them. The current owner says the tracks are rebuilt (new belts) and that he has gone through the entire machine mechanically. I'll ask what he saw in the gear box but I do not think he will let me pull the cover. If the machine is all he says it is, any idea what the current market price is for this machine. It is a flat bed, ford industrial straight six, manual 4 speed, 2 person cab with large center console. Cosmetically my wife would call it a junker, but I am blessed with the ability to see the inner beauty. I am extremely excited at the possibility of of owning this machine, so I want to be certain I am looking at it objectively, and not getting into something that turns into a lawn ornament because I can't find parts.

Snowcat Pat

I have yet to open a thiokol/LMC diff that did not have something wrong in there.
OC4 ring and pinion are very expensive, 1200A drop box parts hard to find. You've been informed.
-Pat

64Thiokol1201

I gather this means the ring an pinion is not a standard 1964 ford drive train part?? Any idea on current market value for this machine from anyone out there? A range is Ok based on the basic description above. Thanks for all your input.

undy

Short answer is, "whatever someone will pay". I'm only new to this snowcat problem, so I make no claims to be an authority. However my advice is worth what you are charged for it too.

My Bombardier 252 also has a Ford 300-6 drivetrain, but the end of the tranny is about it for Ford. Like most 30+ y.o. vehicles, that doesn't mean it is easy to source even engine parts. For instance, it's a 1978 model cat, but appears to have an earlier engine because it's got breaker points, which I believe the Ford auto engines didn't. It's also got a 'rebuild' tag on the block, so who knows??

But the differential in mine is decidedly NOT Ford. IIRC, the OC is Oliver-C_____ (as in tractors), but even this I'm pretty sketchy on.

So if one of these other guys writes that it's got expensive parts, and offers advice on how to go about confirming the condition, I'd guess it was hard-learned info on someone's part. Because of the price and scarcity of parts and the really high labor input on things like tracks, the current value probably ranges from scrap metal/parts cat on up. You can get the local scrap value from a recycler.

It might be wise to consider the condition you ultimately want it to be in and how much you'd have to spend to fix this one up that nicely. Don't buy a turd and expect to make money polishing it up. Like collector cars, it's probably cheaper to buy one someone has already fixed up than to do all that work yourself. But if you're comfortable with a "rat"-cat and this one is sound mechanically, then who cares how it looks and you might get a great deal on it. In that case, as close to scrap value as possible is ideal.

wade2367

If you need any drive train parts I have a complete drive train from my 1969 1200 a. Call with any questions Wade 801-450-8143 SLC, Utah

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if the thing is reasonably compleate and starts and runs it's got to be worth 5 k tough to tell with out pictures but again you have to look closely at the tracks grouser and belt replacement can get expensive fast and as these are high wear items some of the stuff for older riggs are starting to be hard to come by

64Thiokol1201

:wow:Thank you all for the great information which should be enough to keep me fom obtaining a very expensive lawn ornament. If I purchase the machine I'll post pictures. Sounds like there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and I hope to join the snow cat community shortly.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You don't have to buy it to post pics. Always looking for more pics.:clap:

64Thiokol1201

Here she is folks. The latest addition to the family. Can anyone help me decipher the ID plates in the attached photos? I have also located drive train parts from Wade in Salt Lake City Utah and would like to get them to Sacramento California. Anyone have a reference for a reliable shipper that will crate a motor and OC-4 drive axle and ship to me? The crate would be approximateoly 8' by 4' by 4' maybe 1,500 Lbs.:winterrul

How do I get a .jpeg file size down to less than 302.7 KB to post photos on this forum so???

64Thiokol1201

Here they are...... Ordered a spare drive train from Wade in Utah, looking for 6 way plow attachment for grooming back country trails on side slopes. AAA can't help where I am going if I have a mechanical problem. I figure with one spare complete drive train, I can swap out any part in the field.

Attachments

• 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 4.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 4.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 990
  • 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 5.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 5.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 6.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 6.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 7.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 7.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 8.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 8.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 9.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 9.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 10.jpg
    1964 Thiokol Spryte 1201 10.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 979

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations on the cat ! My 1st cat was exactly like yours,I'm now on my 4th ! I'm located in Auburn,and keep the cat up near foresthill. Where do you run yours?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have seen that rig before . I was sent pictures to post it on FF a few years ago . They are around here someplace .
Welcome to the group !

64Thiokol1201

Thanks. The rig was or sale for the last 3-4 years with no takers at the asking price. Many locals were low balling offers. After researching snow cats, in addition to all the great advice in the above thread from all the great folks on this site, I was able to successfully negotiate a deal. I run up in the Quincy area. I now have new hobby and am looking forward to fixing her up. Anyone do the auto trans conversion? Any pictures and knowledge as to how it works?