• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need Electric, long long run

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to get electric to my boat docks. No electric service even close to there right now.
I was considering having the electric company putting in a pole or two, then I run from the pole on down to the river. The terrain is very rugged. I was considering running the electric line on top of the ground.
Major considerations are wildlife, ATV's and my tractor would all cross the lines at times. Depending on my route, a small oil truck might cross it weekly.
I have not measured the distance, but I'm guessing it would be close to 1/2 mile of line.
Our electric company recently merged with another company (AEP). The old company gave me an estimate of 25k to run electric to the river, by going along my trails and putting poles. And they said even if I agreed to that the power company engineers might not agree to the project because of the terrain and trees in the way.
So, I thought of hiring a local contractor, or running the line myself.

I'm looking for ideas as to the best way / cheapest way to get electric to my docks.
Thoughts please.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
You do not state what the electrical usage would be more or how often it would be used. For 25k you could buy a really nice generator and have money to spare.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Primarily the electric would be for lights and a security system. I would also want to run power tools on occasion. However, once electric is down there I plan to build a small cabin so I would need to size my service for that.
I've no idea how many amps I would need, but would rather oversize 'just in case'.

jwstewar

Why not look at some type of solar powered system for the lights/security system when you aren't there and then a generator for when you are there? Maybe you could look at some type of battery system so that when you built the cabin the generator wouldn't have to run 24/7...:tiphat:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For 1/2 mile and $25K, I too would look at alternatives.

I would consider all the aforementioned.

I'll toss in a windmill down by the river (away from the woods) as an option as well.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would consider solar.. The area gets strong morning sun, but by mid afternoon the big hill behind the river lot blocks the sun. No idea if I would have enough daylight hours. Plus in Ohio we are overcast so many days that I didn't look into solar past my pre concieved notions.

For security I have also considered something powered by a 12 volt car battery. Where I would have a couple of the batteries and change them out for charging. However electric would give me the video feed so that I could keep watch on things from my house. With the hills between my house and the river lot, there is no other way to do that. Electric would just make things so much easier, if I could do it without breaking the bank.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
For 1/2 mile and $25K, I too would look at alternatives.

I would consider all the aforementioned.

I'll toss in a windmill down by the river (away from the woods) as an option as well.

I had not thought of a windmill. hmmmmm

25k is why I'm looking for other ways to get the electric there. The power company is the most expensive way to do it. I'm hoping by doing it myself I could do it for less than 5k. Might be wishful thinking though.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rent a ditchwitch and run it underground the whole way! Are you sure a ditchwitch or bobcat couldn't make it? A dozer would be alternative help in the rough spots!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No way a ditchwitch would do it, unless I went the long way around, but if I had a dozer make the trail that is a real possiblitiy. The ground is easier to dig in right after the dozer has made the trail so that suggestion does have merit. Thanks BD. :thumb:

Dave,
I know nothing of micro hydroelectric. Sure have the water right there though, and 3 miles downriver there is a hydroelectric plant. From the name it sounds as if it would be very expensive....but having electric and no electric bill would be awesome!!!!!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Dave,
I know nothing of micro hydroelectric. Sure have the water right there thought, and 3 miles downriver there is a hydroelectric plant. From the name though it sounds as if it would be very expensive....but having electric and no electric bill would be awesome!!!!!!

Do you have a small stream or spring on your property that sits about 50' above the river level? The higher the better. Basically, you construct a small dam to create a holding pool, and then run a pipe down to the river where a small tubine sits in-line with the pipe, and then exits into the river.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Do you have a small stream or spring on your property that sits about 50' above the river level? The higher the better. Basically, you construct a small dam to create a holding pool, and then run a pipe down to the river where a small tubine sits in-line with the pipe, and then exits into the river.

Not close to the river lot. We have about 50 acres. the stream from our pond runs about 1/2 mile to the river. Very small stream at most points, but there is a prime spot to create the holding pool. But that spot is again about 1/2 mile from our river lot.
There are other baby (very small trickles) of water that run down the hill. One is a couple hundred feet from the river lot. I have my doubts that it would supply enough water to keep the turbine going though. Something to think about never the less.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc,
My place in Panama is completely solared powered and we get 300 inches of rain a year . I have a 2500 watt system and it works perfect .My house is 8000 square feet . I cannot use all the power I have there . I paid $12000 and that included a wind turbine that is seldom used . A good solar company should be able to tell you if it will work .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Al. I'll check out that option for sure. I've never heard of a local Solar company, but I suppose they are like that national company that will come to your place and put up a metal building. Wham boom bang and it's done. :thumb:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Contact someone about a directional bore to run the wire in??? Worth a shot???

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mbsieg said:
Contact someone about a directional bore to run the wire in??? Worth a shot???

I agree, it's worth a shot. Never would have thought of that. You guys are coming up some EXCELLENT ideas.
The way the hills run down to the river, that would be a possibility. :thumb:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Make sure you check diff prices I had bids from 2$ a foot all the way up to 10$ a foot. This was for 1/2 mile also. Wire is very spendy now!!! I ended up having the guy who bid 4$ a foot do it he also agreed to pull the wire in the pipe for that amount. It is not as easy as it sounds to pull the wire. Big vac to suck rope through, big winch to pull on rope to pull wire. But I would not have done the trenching for 4$ a foot!!! By the way conduit was included at that price!

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If the river has a good current.. they have a unit called a JackRabbit.. $1000.. you need 12 inches of water.. but w/ water power.. it makes electricity 24/7.

Instead of a cabin.. how about a river boat-house.. skip the security and get a big dog!

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,
I can't really offer anything that hasn't already been mentioned before. I can tell what it takes to have poles set though. 18 years ago, I paid $400 for a creosote pole. PT poles weren't very popular then. Then I had to pay for a digger truck to dig the holes and set the poles. Now, 4 guys "can" set a 30' pole without a truck, but if one ever kicks out on you, you're toast. The power company was probably quoting prices of running medium voltage down there and then set a transformer. Lots less voltage drop than if you run 120/240 down there 2500'.
You might try locating an electric contractor that does line work and have them set the poles and string the wire. With deregulation in Ohio, you can own and install as much of it as you want to. You will probably have to purchase your own transformer to hang on the pole. I know there are a lot of New River Electric trucks up here every day. They're in WV somewhere.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure Nuff! We are 3 or 4 locks upriver from there. If I remember right, the Robert C. Bird locks are below Pt. Pleasant WV (Mothman) and Gallipollis Oh. We boat down to a marina just up river from there once or twice a year.