• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Overwintering Vegie Plants?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a bunch of bell pepper plants with a ton of bell peppers on them. Can I move these guys into a greenhouse and keep them alive? Or do bell pepper plants die each year?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a bunch of bell pepper plants with a ton of bell peppers on them. Can I move these guys into a greenhouse and keep them alive? Or do bell pepper plants die each year?

You can pot them and keep them alive all winter. Pepper plants are actually tropical and will last for several years.

However they have been bred to produce fruit heavy in the first year so they cannot be kept bearing forever.

Place them in a green house. They love heat and humidity. Should be misted daily and don't let them get chilled. Well drained soil. Under 50F degrees they will stop blooming and putting on new fruits. If you use a deep tray under the pots the overflow will humidfythe air without drowning the roots. Peppers do not like their roots soggy.

The smaller "hot" pepper plants are often sold as "Houseplants" because of their various colors, red thru yellow thru purple. Those are easy if kept in a sunny kitchen window. Clear them of all fruits once in a while and they will bloom again for a new crop.

Edit note; When you transplant, pick all the bigger fruits to prevent shock. I just cut mine up and put in sandwich bags for the freezer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They'll stay alive for awhile but will eventually die. You can move them to the greenhouse to extend their life. If you give them warmth and sunlight, they might last for several more months.

How long before your first frost? My peppers are the only thing left in my garden as they're still producing but that will end on first frost.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. Don't know about the first frost but I think its a couple of weeks away. I don't think I'm going to try and save the plants, just too much work and it's just to easy to grow new ones.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. Don't know about the first frost but I think its a couple of weeks away. I don't think I'm going to try and save the plants, just too much work and it's just to easy to grow new ones.

Best room in your new place is the media room. I THINK NOT!

Unless your new shack is being built for off grid survivor mode living, might as well go to Franklin for the groceries.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Should have built a walk in cooler back into the hill. You can keep a lot of veggies for a good while in the right temps. My peppers got off to a late start but are still producing. Got a bunch in the dehydrator now that will be ground into powder for seasoning. We even sold 2 bushels at the farmers market we had so many. Probably still about 1/2 bushel out there now. Picked 2 egg plants and gave 2 to the amish neighbor. Pigged out on the apple pie she made me on Saturday. She wants me to level a spot for her greenhouse with my backhoe.:whistling:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I had a backhoe. Looked into the attachment for my Kubota but reconsidered quickly when they gave me the price. Don't remember what it was as it was a couple of years ago, but I remember it was enough that I got real wobbly around the knees.