• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Starting to form tomatoes

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wish she would have listened to me and started them in November. We are getting quite a few flowers and the first tomatoes are forming. I took 3 of these big ones up to my Amish buddy and his wife was amazed with them. One had 2 small tomatoes formed and they all had flowers. Hope to have some ready by the end of the month. Thee are 45 to 54 inches tall and taking up a lot of room as we have to give them more space to bush out. Too many damn flowers in here that should be out in the ground already. Plus carrots and beets and a lot of things that would normally be outside already.

Attachments

• help 012.jpg
    help 012.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 42
  • help 013.jpg
    help 013.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 42
  • help 014.jpg
    help 014.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 42
  • help 015.jpg
    help 015.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 42
  • help 016.jpg
    help 016.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 41

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Seems way early to me.

My tomato plants range between 2-12" tall right now. I have waaayyyyy too many plants as well. Somewhere between 80 and 100 plants.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We took 3 flats of 4 inch ones up to my buddy as well as 2 flats of broccoli and a half flat of 12 inch tomatoes and 1/2 flat of lettuce. The Amish that moved this spring want to buy a bunch if we want to sell any. We want to wait till we have ours out in the garden first.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I just got in the house from building two new 4'x8' raised beds. Don't have a single plant in the ground yet.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing happens here until after Memorial day. I've learned my lesson from trying to start earlier. Of course, I don't have a fancy green house. ;)

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Most years I have peas at least starting to climb the trellis and onions with shoots out of the ground by now. We planted 7 black raspberries yesterday. Have always had the garden tilled and some stuff planted even if it needs covered a few times. We are getting another round of storms right now and more for the next few days.:hammer:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Muleman - Kind of off topic question. I see wood stacked outside the greenhouse. Is there a bug / termite concern with that? Do you treat? Am I worrying too much?

I want to move my small woodpile to along a fence about 5 to 6 feet from my garage and That is why I am asking.

Thank You

Andy

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 10' 6x6 sitting in the driveway to extend my little raised plot by 5'. It's been too wet to till the garden, and we always wait till Memorial day to avaoid a late frost.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Looking outside the windows Bill the weather looks pretty good......whats the inside temp compared to the outside just to cure my curious mind???

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the wood is actually about 10 FULL cords in the woodshed to feed the boiler that heats the greenhouses ad well as my house. The temp outside was in the 60's today but has already dropped to 45. Inside temp is whatever I set the t-stat to. We usually keep it in the 70's in the smaller one and about 55-60 in the big one overnight. Big PITA right now is not letting it get too hot on a sunny day. I don't have the exhaust fan installed in the big one yet but if we get a decent day this week I have to do that as a priority.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
It snowed here this morning. My wife asked me I had the garden planted by this time last year. I told her not only planted but stuff already coming up.

Iowa has 3% of their corn crop planted right now. Last year at this time they had 78%. Big differences this year.

Sure wished I had some of them nice Green Houses Bill.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The way this year is going more snow would not surprise me around here. They had lake effect off of Erie in the western part of the state Friday night. Looks like a big round moving up from Kentucky for tomorrow so what little it had dried out will be sloppy mud again. All the big greenhouses are advertising, trying to get folks to buy stuff as they are overloaded just like mine is. Nobody can plant yet so not much is selling except maybe pansies.

norscaner

A light snow here today also. Only thing I am planting is my ass in front of the fireplace.:biggrin:
Still ice on the inland lakes and not too hard to find snow in the bush to chill the beer.
Sure glad I went south this year to break up the winter:wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We need some dry weather for about a week or two. So much water in all the fields that no crops are being planted anywhere. When it finally does dry up folks will be running 24/7 to get planting done. I see a rush on 90 day corn as the long season stuff will be too late for our climate.