• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Muskeg Steering options

samwe

We are working rebuilding our Muskeg and had a question regarding the steering system.
Our has two sets of levers. Long manual ones, and short power assist ones.

Should we retain both? If the power assist is unreliable wouldn't we be well off to just ditch it. If it is reliable, then why not get rid of the manual levers?

J5 Bombardier

Personally after scratch building hyd steering for my muskeg, I wouldn't want to go back to manual. I believe the original muskeg steering had the links removed and cylinders installed between the sticks and bands ,giving you two options on steering. I would keep the sticks as they were original and if you had to tow the machine with a dead motor, you could still steer it . Only my opinion.:hammer: J5 Bombardier

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
My 1972 Muskeg only has hydraulic. I upgraded the (truck type ? ) power steering pump so I could power a winch and seem to be having problems.

Keep Both !!!!!!!

Last edited:

samwe

Mine are both hydraulic, one just uses the power steering pump to assist and the other does not.
Does anyone know of a good source for new master cylinders or the non-assisted levers?

samwe

We discovered the rams have two chambers. The manual steering will work when the power is completely gone. Also, we like the "feel" of the manual more. Easier to make gentle steering moves.
We also learned that the rear mounted engine leave no room for cargo. We are probably going to go front engine again, that will give us PTO, make exhaust routing easier, and keep the engine up high for deep water purposes.
Also, the GM 4.2 L6 is much more motor than this thing needs, but we have it and will likely keep it.