• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

store bought greenhouse

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
are they any good? The wife is planning on buying one about 8X14.
jim

jwstewar

Where are you looking at buying from? What style are you looking at? Are you looking at a hoop style? Something with panels? Steel Framed? PVC Framed? Aluminum Framed? You looking at year round use or something just to extend the growing season on both ends?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Big things to consider is how much snow and how strong are the winds that will be blasting against it. One that size does not leave much room to work in.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know much about them. I am going to look today. Our winters are easy. we had 25 for two weeks and light snow last winter. It usually rains all winter.
this is it it will be for summer /early spring use .
We are selling new modern-style greenhouses that are made of the strong transparent polycarbonate.
These greenhouses are perfect for growing organic produce and flowering. They can also be used for variety of other purposes.

We have two main sizes available now. The bigger size is available in two thicknesses: in 4-mm and in 6-mm polycarbonate.
Here's sizing and pricing:
1. 8'9" x 11'11" x 7'11" (approx 9x12x8)4-mm poly - runs for $1450.00
2. 8'9" x 14'2" x 7'11" (approx 9x14x8) 4-mm poly - runs for $1650.00
3. 8'9" x 14'2" x 7'11" (approx 9x14x8) 6-mm poly - runs for $1950.00
00T0T_hQLREw0HGmv_600x450.jpg

00n0n_i5fFrIcgCoK_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
A little flower shop in the next town just installed one like that . It looks pretty damn nice !

Leni

I had a store bought one that lasted very nicely until the Northridge earthquake. It was a little bigger than that and was redwood and hard plastic. Just remember that during the summer you will need a method to cool it off.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Built one to replace the one damaged by the flood in 2011. 18 by 20 by 6 feet tall. Cement floor which was 20 by 24. the cement is twelve inches thick on the edges and four inches in the middle. Included floor drain, lights and outlets. Have about 4800 in it but does not include the heater or intake or exhaust louvers which were reused from the old greenhouse. Includes all shelving, frame, rafters, all plastic walls and fiberglass roof.

Do not remember how much room but it can hold at least 200 flats plus plenty of room to work and store stuff from year to year.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 36

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
The reason I built rather than the store bought is price and long term quality. All materials were purchased from Menards. The cement work was farmed out so that was not cheap.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a question on custom building a green house . I hope it is ok to post here .

I have my pad cut for a 18 x 24 green house . I have 30 -3'x6'8" dual pane sliding glass doors I want to use . I would like the green house to match the house . Can I run a 3' high rock veneer around the base of the walls and install my glass above it and retain enough heat ? We get lots of snow and I am trying to protect the glass . I would also have glass roofing on about half the roof . Any advice would be appreciated .

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a question on custom building a green house . I hope it is ok to post here .

I have my pad cut for a 18 x 24 green house . I have 30 -3'x6'8" dual pane sliding glass doors I want to use . I would like the green house to match the house . Can I run a 3' high rock veneer around the base of the walls and install my glass above it and retain enough heat ? We get lots of snow and I am trying to protect the glass . I would also have glass roofing on about half the roof . Any advice would be appreciated .

The base that you are talking about will retain more heat than the glass will. With the base and the 6 ft 8 in doors on top of that you will have a tall ceiling. Tall ceilings equals more resources to heat and wasted heat in my opinion.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The base that you are talking about will retain more heat than the glass will. With the base and the 6 ft 8 in doors on top of that you will have a tall ceiling. Tall ceilings equals more resources to heat and wasted heat in my opinion.

I thought I would turn the glass panels on their side so the ceiling will be about 8' .

I saw one done like that in the front yard of a home . I honestly think it was pure classly in the construction .
It was heavy beamed and looked great .

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I thought I would turn the glass panels on their side so the ceiling will be about 8' .

I saw one done like that in the front yard of a home . I honestly think it was pure classly in the construction .
It was heavy beamed and looked great .

Thought the 30 windows you had before wee to much, now I know it. With all that glass do not forget the intake and exhaust louvers. it will heat up fast on a sunny day.