• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My latest challenge

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I do not know what took you so long to get a framing nailer. Just putting the finishing touches on a greenhouse. The nailer cuts the time in half.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Jesus ! Good God O mighty !!!
Why do kitchen cabinets have to cost so much ??? It is not Brain Surgery folks. I have built 100's of sets and cannot understand why they charge so much at the Stores for them . I really do not have time to build 4 sets of cabinets in the new apartments , but at the price they want for the plain ones I can create master pieces !!!!

So I guess I will take a week and build 4 sets for the apartments . That way I can tile the tops too and have a better finish .

The whole 4 sets will not cost me over $1000 dollars to build and most of that will be in the cost of Lazy Susans, hinges, knobs, tile and drawer glides .
The wood will be the cheap part . I already have it stored in the shop . Since I am 100 miles in the back country I plan to build all the cabinets out of 97% dried Lodge pole pine with a light Stain finish . Very rustic to match the decor . No particle board for me !!

I think Cabinet makers are overated !!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Forgot to add !!! Today was a good day ! Apartment #1 is framed !!!! :clap:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I do not know what took you so long to get a framing nailer. Just putting the finishing touches on a greenhouse. The nailer cuts the time in half.

I have lots of other nailers , but never was happy with the framing nailers we had . If anyone wants a hella deal on a Senco Framing nailer, I have one cheap . I do like the light weight of the new one I purchased .

Did I say I would throw in two boxes of framing nails with the old Senco that can't have 15 hours of use on it ??:brows::brows:. You will not need to go to the gym after using it all day !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Should be working on Plumbing and Electrical by tomorrow afternoon .

Had the local sheriff stop by and tell me the idea of having two RV sites was excellent as he gets stop daily during the camping season by people who want a camping site with full hook ups in town . There are none .
Everyday we have people stopping by asking when we open . I sure hope its not a bunch of BS .

I picked up the Cube Ice account from the local Cafe today . They cannot keep up with the demand in the summer and it will save them a 250 mile drive once a week to the ice supplier .:clap:.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought you retired?:whistling:You should be working on the wife's greenhouse anyway.:biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thought you retired?:whistling:You should be working on the wife's greenhouse anyway.:biggrin:

Don't foget to include a Krusty Kennel too!

Yea , I hear ya guys .....but ,, This is just to tasty of an investment to past up . I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and ruin my day , but so far everything is really coming together well .

Sold all the old metal roof on the building today "if" I can get it off without tearing it up . I believe I can ,as it appears to be all screwed in place .

I got about 1/2 the plumbing and electrical installed today too:clap: on the two units downstairs .

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sold all the old metal roof on the building today "if" I can get it off without tearing it up . I believe I can ,as it appears to be all screwed in place .

Good luck with the screws. I tried that a few years ago and the screws were so weathered the groves on the head rounded out. Ended up having to use a saw-zall to cut each one. That was a real PITA.

Bob

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The electrical is basically done on the two lower floor units . Running the propane lines is going to be a PITA . Decided tomorrow to head for Home Depot for another truck and trailer of material .

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
The electrical is basically done on the two lower floor units . Running the propane lines is going to be a PITA . Decided tomorrow to head for Home Depot for another truck and trailer of material .

You're not doing the "Life of Leisure" very well!

Sounds like your doing a knock down job though and it should be looking pretty nice...(hint for photos):whistling:

To have a manager for the place, a retired couple would be nice, a young mother with small kids may be good too. If you supply an apartment and work, you may have a very loyal employee.

Good luck!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You're not doing the "Life of Leisure" very well!

Sounds like your doing a knock down job though and it should be looking pretty nice...(hint for photos):whistling:

To have a manager for the place, a retired couple would be nice, a young mother with small kids may be good too. If you supply an apartment and work, you may have a very loyal employee.

Good luck!

Yea , I thought about doing that . I guess i'll wait a while and watch how fast the business grows . That way i'll also be able to get a idea of how much cash comes into the laundrymay, showers, RV sites, RV dump and game cooler each month . The Apartments and mini storage should have a easy tracking record so I am not worried about that too much . I have seen employees get sticky fingers when a lot of cash goes through a business .:sad:

Fought a snow storm for 275 miles to get building material . I think I screwed up one fiberglass shower unit when I tied it down .I usually look over the showers pretty well when I get one so I am unsure if the damage was there or if I did it . I now have a small crack at the nailing flange that goes down about 2" into the front of the shower .I think I can repair it easy enough, but it sure ruined my day .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thought I was about ready for sheetrock on the lower apartment units than I realized that it would be a lot easier to install the under floor plumbing waste system upstairs before the new ceiling was installed downstairs . So there goes a couple more days !!!

My other tenent at the ranch apartment thought he was doing me a favor when he turned off the heat on the new apartment when they planned to take a few weeks vacation .... Froze and blew the Tankless water heater and flooded the downstairs !!!:sad: Good thing I had a high damage deposit on file .
Looks like about $700 in damage . I just got done installing a new gas Water heater as they come back tomorrow !

These are damn good tenents and I don't want to lose them .

Otherwise the remodel still is looking good and on time

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hurry up! The greenhouse starts in January.:whistling:You did put the posts in didn't you?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hurry up! The greenhouse starts in January.:whistling:You did put the posts in didn't you?

I am afraid I did not , but I do have all the glass for it . It will just have to stay on the back burner a few more months .

Still tying up loose ends . Is that ever done ??????:unsure: I keep saying "one more day "

Not as young as I use to be , so about 6 hours a day is enough for me .

I did get upstairs and lay out the room arrangment on the other two bedroom unit today .

I swear to God , This is my last big Project I ever want to do :sad:...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I swear to God , This is my last big Project I ever want to do :sad:...

What is this, about number 12 on the last project's list?:yum:

Well if you weren't doing you last Big Project this time, what would you be doing?:flowers:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
What is this, about number 12 on the last project's list?:yum:

:flowers:Well if you weren't doing you last Big Project this time, what would you be doing?

I would be in Panama for Christmas and chasin MaMa around the Palm Tree .
I can almost taste the Ron Abuelo Rum and the Cuban Cigar . I am more than ready to go .Its hard to keep cloths on when your on the island . Many days I never get further than a pair of swim trucks . You ought to come down and test the water and ............locals?????........:brows:They love Americans .

If this projects goes as well as I think it will I can just sit back and watch the world go by . I have a few ideas up my sleeve to keep it up and running at 100% . Time will tell .

Spent the entire day under the building tying all the new plumbing system in .
I figure a few more days will have me finished with the rough framing, plumbing. gas lines, heating , insulation. and electrical .
The sheetrock is now sitting in the front room of each apartment downstairs.
All the new windows are installed and I should be adding the new dormer in the 3rd apartment next week .
Tomorrow is another 300 mile round trip to get more material and supplies .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow , It was an expensive trip ! 4 refrigerators, 4 propane cook stoves and 4 mico waves . Plus the wifes refrigerator quit so we ended up getting one for her too .

Going to "try" and run the Christmas lights around the building today . We were entered in the local Christmas light contest by other business owners . Its all in good fun and the kids like it . I say "TRY" because it is 9 degrees today and my diesel truck is not plugged in to the heater this morning . May have to let it warm up awhile .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Spent the day doing "pick up work" to get ready for sheetrock . The gas lines are a bitch . I think I hate running those more than anything . If I had a power pipe threader is would be much easier , but all I have is a hand threader that was my Dad's to use . I believe we will be done tomorrow . I think Wednesday we will sheetrock the two lower units .

Both shoulders are so sore I can hardly lift my arms above my head tonight . Again I told the wife " This is my last big Project Period" !!!:unsure::sad:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Famous last words. :whistling:

Nope ! I'm serious . This one has kicked my ass worst than the last one I did .
I have decided I was kidnapped at birth from a wealthy family and that I should not be doing manual labor of any kind .:unsure::mellow::sad:
I am attempting to find my real birth parents . I have narrowed it down to J- Low or maybe Pam Anderson . I just want my Mama hugs :brows:.

Anyway today was another day and tomorrow we sheetrock . New Washers are someplace in Cyber space and the phone contact number is a joke .
So cold I can't feel my feet today . Pex plumbing is still my best friend . I hate gas lines !

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just don't use any of that CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) for gas lines. It's a fire waiting to happen if you're prone to lightning.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Just don't use any of that CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) for gas lines. It's a fire waiting to happen if you're prone to lightning.

I did not know that ! Thanks .

So far its all iron black pipe and boy is it a pain to thread by hand !

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I would be in Panama for Christmas and chasin MaMa around the Palm Tree .
I can almost taste the Ron Abuelo Rum and the Cuban Cigar . I am more than ready to go .Its hard to keep cloths on when your on the island . Many days I never get further than a pair of swim trucks . You ought to come down and test the water and ............locals?????........:brows:They love Americans .

Sounds like a much better deal than all these last "Projects" you keep getting into!

As for the Women, I am much too slow to catch anything but a cold...

If this projects goes as well as I think it will I can just sit back and watch the world go by . I have a few ideas up my sleeve to keep it up and running at 100% . Time will tell .

Spent the entire day under the building tying all the new plumbing system in .
I figure a few more days will have me finished with the rough framing, plumbing. gas lines, heating , insulation. and electrical .
The sheetrock is now sitting in the front room of each apartment downstairs.
All the new windows are installed and I should be adding the new dormer in the 3rd apartment next week .
Tomorrow is another 300 mile round trip to get more material and supplies .

Wel if you ever need some slower help, let me know in between my other work, would be glad to give you a hand!

Either that or you come up here for some snowmachine trips.:smile:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Al is fighting a repressed desire to drag out the Krusty rebuild as long as possible. Hence all these other projects that he moves ahead of it. Greenhouse is still waiting for you to build also.:w00t2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh Boy ! I had forgotten how heavy 5/8" sheetrock was . I have spent the last 3 days putting it up on the ceilings . My shoulders ache !!!

Hey ! They found my new commercial washers and they will get delivered on Monday .
I'll be stopping at the sheetrocked stage on the two lower apartments until I can catch up the laundrymat and pay showers , that need to be done .

Going to switch over to the new Gas heaters ASAP, as I just goy my first electric bill for the old heat pump system . :w00t2:No wonder the past owners went belly up !!!

The new Logde pole log siding should be ready this next week . That will really give the old place a nice facelift over the plywood siding that is now on it .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Not much getting done . Came down with a lousy cold that is kicking my ass .:mellow:

Still waiting on washers to show up .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well today was one day. We expect you back at it by Thursday at the latest.:hammer::yum::yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well today was one day. We expect you back at it by Thursday at the latest.:hammer::yum::yum:
No I did go to work today but kinda took it easy .
The washers showed up all in one piece and on time too :wow:

Setting up the laundry mat area with a kids play area and a arcade game section too .

The major plumbing changes should be finished tomorrow and then its just a little electrical clean up and the service room and laundry area will be ready for sheetrock
I should be setting new washers in a week !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
This cold and flu is still kicking my ass ,but I am good for about 5 or 6 hours of work a day .

The new center raised section for the new washers is now built. I painted out the service room today and should do the floor tomorrow . Then I can installed the new water heater(s) . I figure I am about 1 week from being ready to open the laundrymat .
The changes have made the design a much more workable area . Lots of built in tables for folding the cloths .

I should be starting the new covered front entry in the next week or so .

Prices have now been set for all the apartments and so far the response has been good . All the units should be ready for tenents on March 1 , at the latest .
I must say this has been a bigger project than I originally thought it would be . The weather has been tough to work around . Cost and Labor are "in line" as of now . The new Mini storage will not be started until we have a ground thaw .