• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ANyone watching the market this afternoon?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have stocks at all, you might have a looksee at what's going on. ALmost 1,000 point drop, rebound, but still off 400+ points. Greek problems precipitating this volatility.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
You're supposed to tell us BEFORE it takes a dive :yum:
Sorry, but I just woke up from a nap and saw it on Fox News. I WISH I had a crystal ball. If I did, I wouldn't be wasting my time here with the other broke people. :yum::yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
It ain't pretty . I got my ass kicked hard ,but I am not pullin out .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I made a bunch of money on gold and silver. Dumped some stuff early this morning and saved my butt. Me, I'm mostly on the sidelines. The ONE stock that I believe in holding is MO (Altria) the maker of Marlboro Cigarettes. It spins off huge dividends, I hold that in good times and in bad.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
It was a dude with fat fingers. He hit the "B" key for Billion instead of the "M" key for Million key.

In one of the most dizzying half-hours in stock market history, the Dow plunged nearly 1,000 points before paring those losses—all apparently due to a trader error.
NYSE_trader_worried6_200.jpg
Getty Images​
According to multiple sources, a trader entered a "b" for billion instead of an "m" for million in a trade possibly involving Procter & Gamble [PG 60.75 -1.41 (-2.27%) ], a component in the Dow. (CNBC's Jim Cramer noted suspicious price movement in P&G stock on air during the height of the market selloff. Watch.)
Sources tell CNBC the erroneous trade may have been made at Citigroup [C 4.04 -0.14 (-3.35%) ].
"We, along with the rest of the financial industry, are investigating to find the source of today's market volatility," Citigroup said in a statement. "At this point we have no evidence that Citi was involved in any erroneous transaction."
According to a person familiar with the probe, one focus is on futures contracts tied to the Standard & Poor’s 500 stock index, known as E-mini S&P 500 futures, and in particular a two-minute window in which 16 billion of the futures were sold.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36999483

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
It ain't pretty . I got my ass kicked hard ,but I am not pullin out .
Al, I have a patient who is recovering from a very nasty torn ACL.
He's also an accountant and has all his stuff set up in his room (laptop, copy machine.. file cabinet) because he's still working even though he's a patient with us.
When he heard the news right before dinner on CNN, he was almost beside himself.
I was afraid to go into his room for the 8pm med pass.:yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I heard they are cancelling some of the trades that took place during the glitch . Not sure how that will work though . Sure sounds like one hell of a Typo though :brows:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Plunge in US equities remains a mystery

By Michael Mackenzie and Henny Sender in New York
Published: May 7 2010 18:49 | Last updated: May 7 2010 20:01

The day after $1,000bn was briefly wiped off the market value of US equities, traders were still trying to work out what caused share prices to plunge and then rebound so dramatically in a matter of minutes.
The conventional wisdom held that an incorrectly typed sell order – one that confused “billions” for “millions”, for example – was the likely culprit.

“The trigger for the sell-off was most likely some kind of errant order, a fat-finger typo, which set off a chain reaction of selling,” said Sang Lee, managing principal at Aite Group. “I would be shocked if that was not the case as the fall in stocks was so sudden and extreme.”
However, despite the persistence of this story, officials were struggling to idenfity a specific cause. “We still don’t know what was the initiating signal for the trading activity we saw on Thursday,” said Jeff Wecker, chief executive officer at Lime Brokerage. “The verdict is still out.”
What was clear was the ferocity of the fall. Just before 2.40pm on Thursday, the S&P 500 index, the US equity market’s benchmark, fell from 1,120. Inside six minutes, it bottomed at 1,065.79, a slide of nearly 5 per cent. By 3.00pm, the index was moving above 1,120, although still down 4 per cent on the day before, settling 3.2 per cent lower by the close.
Traders said the day had got off to a gloomy start, with fears that Greece could become the first eurozone country to default on its debt weighing down stock prices. Television images of fighting in Athens reinforced anxieties and encouraged investors to cut risk exposure.
“We already had a significant fear premium in the market and clearly there was some kind of incident which we need to understand,” said William O’Brien, chief executive officer at Direct Edge, one of the four main trading venues for equities.
When the plunge came, traders said it was exacerbated by the rapid-fire computer systems that post prices and execute trades in microseconds. Such trading accounts for the bulk of volume in US equity markets and it served to reinforce a downward move that saw some stocks trade for a penny or less.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8f6fbb7e-59ff-11df-acdc-00144feab49a.html