• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I think it's time...

BadAttitude

:( :( :(
Seeing how she's just about 12 yrs old, I knew her days would be numbered. The last couple yrs have been a little tough, but she always pulled through. I'm not so sure about this time. This afternoon my GS "Shelby" had another one of her episodes...her hips gave out again. It was around 4 pm that she last walked. Had to carry her into the house since she couldn't stand up on her rear legs. I always wondered if I'd know when it was time, but I believe it has come.

It's now about 7 hrs later and she still can't get up. We carried her outside using a blanket as a sling, to see if she had any business to do...nope, nothing at all. She couldn't even get up. I don't think she is in pain either. It's sad...real sad to see an animal like this. She's still full of energy...for her age, but without her backend functioning, no sense in letting her suffer. The vet has told us in the recent past that there is not much that can be done. Arthritis is part of the problem, but the hereditary hip deal is the real issue. Meds have helped her for the last few yrs. but they don't appear to be helping anymore. If she can't walk in the AM, I'll have to bring her to be put down. That's gonna be tough to do and will make for a lousy way to start off the week.

I guess it's going to be real quiet around here now. Going to be tough working outside without her keeping me company. No matter where I went, she would follow me and stay by my side. I'll even miss all the barking she did when someone would come up the driveway. Her being a G shepherd always did seem to intimidate some people. I kinda enjoyed that...even if it does sound a little sick.

Anyways thanks for listening.
Here is probably the last pic I'll take of her.
Sucks to even think it, let alone say it...

Attachments

• Shelby05.jpg
    Shelby05.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 188

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She's a pretty girl BA!!! Very sorry to hear about her problems. It is so tough to deal with, but for all the joys they bring us it is more than worth it. Be strong and know your are doing the best you can for her.

rico304

We're thinking/praying for you and Shelby. I know exactly how you are feeling right now, and I wish there was something I could do to make this easier. Nothing worse than losing a family member and friend. (Even if it is the best thing for them)

BadAttitude

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers

We put her to sleep this morning, no change since last night.
It was extremely difficult to do...I miss her SO BAD!! already:( :( :(
but I know it was best for her.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take care, its always hard to loose a pet that is a member of the family. No easy way to do it or deal with it. But you can't let them suffer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's tough BA. We went thru it last June with an 11 month old Great Dane. It was horrible.
Some kind soul on TBN shared this with me then ... Hope it helps you a bit like it did me. I was not ready for the last few lines about another pup ...way to early to think of that. But a couple months later we did get another and it helped immensely.
So sorry for your loss!

LEND ME A PUP
I will lend to you for awhile,
a pup, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and mourn him when he's dead.
Maybe twelve or fourteen years,
or maybe two or three.
But will you, 'till I call him back,
take care of him for me?
He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay,
since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.
I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true,
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love
Nor think the labour vain,
Nor hate me when I come to take
my sweet Pup back again?
I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will be Done,"
For all the joys this Pup will bring,
the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness,
we'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known
forever grateful stay
But should you call him back
much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
and try to understand.
If, by our love, we've managed,
your wishes to achieve
In memory of him we loved,
to help us while we grieve,
When our faithful bundle
departs this world of strife,
We'll have yet another Pup
and love him all his life.
~author unknown~

AFFitness13

I am so sorry you had to loose your baby. It is hard to see them go. Especially when they have been there that long. We are all thinking of you.

BadAttitude

Doc
That couldn't have come at a better time...it really helps when you look at that way. More so, when you said previously..."It is so tough to deal with, but for all the joys they bring us it is more than worth it." That had just as much value, if not more. I started to think about the time she roamed away when she was only 6 months old. I never gave up hope in finding her...and the day we did, was a day I'll never forget. I also remember the time I fell off the scaffold. Her whine is what I still clearly remember when I came to. Then when I was inside the house, she was all over me...probably thankful that I survived. Those moments mean the most!!

Thanks Bob and Tina

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad that helped. Like I said it helped both me and my wife also.
I got tears in my eyes reading your response. I feel for ya man. I know to well what its like. Hang in there and remember the good times.

BadAttitude

Probably the toughest part of this was the fact that she was the only dog we ever had. Another step made through the journey of life I suppose, and I'm starting to feel much better after reading what has been posted.

One more challenge to get through though...she won't be there when I get home. But I'll get through it.

Thanks again Doc and to the rest of you as well.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do yourself a big favor. Because while she was the only dog you ever had, it strikes me that the statement would have been more correct if you wrote she was your first dog. So when you go looking for the next companion, ask to see the OFA certificates for the parents. OFA certifies the hips of adult dogs. They make no promise, but if both parents are OFA 'good' or better then the odds are the pups will have minimal hip problems. Also look into the breed to see if there are particular health issues because they can, to some extent, be avoided if you select the breeder and the pup carefully. I love Akitas and they are prone to thyroid problems so looking at breeders and checking them out to see if the parents/grandparents have thyroid problems is a way of minimizing risk that the pup will have the same problems, etc. To some extent it is a crap shoot, but careful selection can dramatically minimize your risks. And as most people keep companion pets more than twice as long as they keep a car, I think it pays to select carefully. But I will tell you that when its their time to pass, it is still just as hard on the family.

Good luck, and know that we all feel for you.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,
While you certainly raise some important issues for him to look at, I prefer to think along another line. All 3 of my current pets are "toss aways". Two rescued from shelters, and the other rescued from the wild at 4 weeks old. If anyone is considering a pet, please take a look at the ones in the shelters, they may not have long to live. I got my dog on Sunday at 5PM. He was to make that last walk down the hallway Monday at 8AM.

Just my cent or two to toss out there.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rescue dogs are a great thing and as long as you can deal with the emotional aspects of the risks then I wholeheartedly agree with you. Boondox over on TBN is very active in rescue and I know some folks locally too. Rescue is a great great thing to do, but it can lead to some very heartwrenching stories.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
You did what you knew was best. We still have Gizmo in the hospital, and now I am not sure the vet did not do surgery for the cat but for her. He came home one day, and is back at the hospital. She does not know what is going on......that is what scares and makes me mad at the same time. If his kidneys are going, we will not let him suffer that, if they were going when she did surgery anyway, we will be very upset with her decision to go ahead.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh man, I just read this thread. I'm really sorry to hear. Also, the reason I'm behind on reading some is because the real Dargo (a GSD imported from Hungary) spent 3 days in the emergency pet hospital. He is not yet 3 years old. Fortunately, in my case, other than dropping a huge amount of cash, it appears that Dargo is going to make it. I really never thought much about how attached I was to the dog until he quit breathing on Wednesday.

I always intended to get Dargo a companion, but never had. On Friday I found that my importer had another GSD that happened to be from Hungary. The military will now have one less GSD from this importer this year to put into service. Now Dargo has "Bruno" to put up with.

I had to see the cruel agony of hip dysplasia work on the first German Shepherd Dog I had that was whelped here in the U.S.. I only know how hard that is on everyone. Again, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

dzalphakilo

Banned
B_Skurka said:
Rescue dogs are a great thing and as long as you can deal with the emotional aspects of the risks then I wholeheartedly agree with you. Boondox over on TBN is very active in rescue and I know some folks locally too. Rescue is a great great thing to do, but it can lead to some very heartwrenching stories.

You're right, it can lead to heartwrenching stories.

You post made me think of my first dog as a child. Mickey, a dalmation. She was the runt of a litter of 12 from my unlce's dog, who he showed. Mickey (my "new" dog) had a black spot on her eye, which made her "bad" for showing, but I fell in love with her. Growing up, my dad spent alot of time overseas in the Air Force, and he told my mom whatever we wanted to get, get. Mickey stayed with us for 14 years. With my dad away for long periods of time, she (Mickey) became my best friend. Her legs just wouldn't hold as she got near the "end", and one day coming home from high school, my mom was crying and told me that she had to take Mickey to the vets. The was the last dog I had for 28 years until I got married.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

The pic you posted brought back memories of Mickey.

Now, my wife and I are currently involved with the local humane society.

We have three dogs of our own (I shown them here per another post) and currently have two foster dogs.

We've already found good homes to six dogs already (we've only been doing this for five months now), and I only want to take note of your comment about "issues" with rescues.

You're right, go to a "shelter" and you may not be sure of what "you're getting".

But...

One reason why we foster is we can see what "type" of dog we "have".

SOP is that we keep the dog/dogs "quarentined" (spelled wrong I'm sure) for one week. If everything "checks out" health wise with the dog, they socialize with our dogs. Fosters at first are kept out in a fenced area (outside), then garage, then kitchen, then "if everything works out", have free reign of the house with our dogs.

Happy to say, no issues at all.

You can sort of "tell" how a dog is going to behave after a short period of time.

Now, if anyone here is interested:D

Pic below is of two dogs we have up for adoption.

Clover the Jack Russell Terrier was from a puppy mill. She could only produce one pup per litter so the people "dumped" her off. Three years old. She is very laid back, is getting house trained, and my wife has grown more attached to her than any other dog we've fostered. She's great for driving as well. Took her up to Vermont this past week, and she lays down either in your lap or on the floor and goes to sleep.

The other dog is Scrappy. This is Clovers "son". Scrappy is a "love bug', 6 months old. Wants to curl up with you no matter where your at. Great with children, licks all day long and will follow you whereever you go. He's getting house trained as well.

Both dogs play all day with our three dogs, no problem.

Both dogs are crate trained, which is SOP.

Neither dog has showed any signs of aggression AT ALL.

Keep in mind, have alot of phone calls on Clover and people are interested, so she will most likely find a home in the near future.

Hard to see the dogs you take in go, cried over everyone I've found a home for. But...

If you would of seen where Clover and Scappy came from when my wife and I got them, well, you know you've done them good if you can find them a home.

Thing I find amazing is that people can make choices, animals can't.

Now, after a long day at work, coming home and finding a foster dog taking a dump on you hardwood floors, well, this is a fact of life:StickOutT .

My wife is a very good woman for putting up with me!

Attachments

• Copy of Clover and Scrappy.JPG
    Copy of Clover and Scrappy.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

BadAttitude

B_Skurka said:
Do yourself a big favor. Because while she was the only dog you ever had, it strikes me that the statement would have been more correct if you wrote she was your first dog. So when you go looking for the next companion, ask to see the OFA certificates for the parents. OFA certifies the hips of adult dogs. They make no promise, but if both parents are OFA 'good' or better then the odds are the pups will have minimal hip problems. Also look into the breed to see if there are particular health issues because they can, to some extent, be avoided if you select the breeder and the pup carefully. I love Akitas and they are prone to thyroid problems so looking at breeders and checking them out to see if the parents/grandparents have thyroid problems is a way of minimizing risk that the pup will have the same problems, etc. To some extent it is a crap shoot, but careful selection can dramatically minimize your risks. And as most people keep companion pets more than twice as long as they keep a car, I think it pays to select carefully. But I will tell you that when its their time to pass, it is still just as hard on the family.

Good luck, and know that we all feel for you.
Yeah your right Bob. I knew it sounded wrong when I typed it. Sometimes my fingers can't keep up with my mind:eek: I was trying to say something like 'our one and only dog' or as you stated.

Interesting bit about the OFA, thanks. I'll remember that too. I bought her from a reputable breeder and while I did see the parents and papers, I didn't know what to specifically look for. I've always had a passion for purebred shepherds. They remind me so much of my own personality...this one sure as he!! did anyways:D

I'm not sure when, but someday I'll seek another purebred shepherd. Female for sure. Not to replace Shelby, as no dog could replace the bond we had, but to continue the meaningful companionship that existed. The memories are without a doubt...priceless.

What all of you have said is well appreciated. I thank you all for your thoughts as well. I made it through today because of what has been said here. If there wasn't a place like FF and it's crew that allowed me to express myself, I would have been a basket case.

A heartfelt thanks to all of you.

BadAttitude

ddrane2115 said:
You did what you knew was best. We still have Gizmo in the hospital, and now I am not sure the vet did not do surgery for the cat but for her. He came home one day, and is back at the hospital. She does not know what is going on......that is what scares and makes me mad at the same time. If his kidneys are going, we will not let him suffer that, if they were going when she did surgery anyway, we will be very upset with her decision to go ahead.
Danny
I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. I hope Gizmo pulls through. He'll be in my thoughts and prayers as well.

I've heard of similar situations as far as what the vet did. Bad enough to perform the surgey without your consent, but if it was unnecessary... you have every right to be upset. Concentrate on Gizmo now and deal with the surgery later. Good luck and hope it all works out.

BadAttitude

Dargo said:
Oh man, I just read this thread. I'm really sorry to hear. Also, the reason I'm behind on reading some is because the real Dargo (a GSD imported from Hungary) spent 3 days in the emergency pet hospital. He is not yet 3 years old. Fortunately, in my case, other than dropping a huge amount of cash, it appears that Dargo is going to make it. I really never thought much about how attached I was to the dog until he quit breathing on Wednesday.

I always intended to get Dargo a companion, but never had. On Friday I found that my importer had another GSD that happened to be from Hungary. The military will now have one less GSD from this importer this year to put into service. Now Dargo has "Bruno" to put up with.

I had to see the cruel agony of hip dysplasia work on the first German Shepherd Dog I had that was whelped here in the U.S.. I only know how hard that is on everyone. Again, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Thanks Dargo, glad yours recovered. Is there a specific reason that you chose an imported GS from Hungary? The day will probably come that I'll get another and I'd like to know as much as possible.

What caused baby Dargo to stop breathing?

BadAttitude

dzalphakilo...cute terriors
I commend you for the adoption and caring of the foster dogs. Must be tough when its' time to give them a new home. I don't think I could handle that part very well.

Your comment about the dog taking a dump on the hardwoood made me smile...mine left a urine stain last year, and your right, it's life. Maybe at the time I was a little annoyed, but now it doesn't even bother me. I didn't know it at the time, but she left me a permanent memorial to remember her by.

dzalphakilo

Banned
My wife is a better person than I.

Perhaps I'm trying to attone (sp?) for my "sins" in my "youth".

Fact is we're all going to die, and those hardwood floors after time will be dust like myself.

Sad thing is some people consider dogs as livestock. To me they are not.

You're right, hard to give up a dog that you "trained" for adoption, and be lying if I didn't say that a tear didn't come to my eye when I had to give each one up.

But... those dogs hopfully brings joy to those who gets them, and I hope that when they are gone, they will bring a tear to those owners who had them.

I'm glad that my comment made you smile. That is what life is about.

THAT'S what make this short time here worthwhile.

Apologies, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
BadAttitude said:
Thanks Dargo, glad yours recovered. Is there a specific reason that you chose an imported GS from Hungary? The day will probably come that I'll get another and I'd like to know as much as possible.

What caused baby Dargo to stop breathing?

Most larger police agencies and most military branches will not accept a GSD of American breeding. Many years ago when GSD's became popular here, the breed was nearly ruined. There was so much line breeding and other mixes added that only a very, very small percentage of American bred GSD's are of acceptable quality as the breed originally was. In most other places in the world, the AKC is a complete joke. Almost all other countries do not allow the inbreeding that is accepted by the AKC and American breeders. In Europe, the breeders are especially strict on how GSD's are bred.

I like the GSD's out of Hungary because they are a bit larger than the ones imported from Germany, but not as large as ones from Yugoslavia and some other countries that bred in huge size. With both of my GSD's I have 11 generations of history. Although they are basically defect free, there is still no guarantee that no genetic defect will appear in their offspring. There is only a smaller percentage chance. Also, with knowing that there was no inbreeding for at least 45 years (how far back I have written documentation), there is a lot smaller chance that I'll see any of the multitudes of problems that exist in inbred dogs.

Thanks for asking, but I don't know for sure what happened to Dargo. I had the vets run a multitude of tests for poisions and toxins, but nothing came up. So far, I only know what it's not. The vets told me that there are so many natural toxins that could have "possibly" caused the problems that I'll likely never know. Anyway, Dargo had over 30 grand mal seizures on Wednesday. They were pretty well back to back with no break in between. I could not get him to the animal hospital for a while because it was literally impossible to get him into the truck. Being a very strong and very well conditioned (he runs nearly 30 miles a day) dog, his seizures were extremely violent and they lasted way longer than normal.

You ought to try to pick up and run with an 80 pound ball of muscle, claws, and teeth that is going crazy! His legs would go a hundred miles an hour, with his claws literally shredding my jeans, and his jaws (1200 psi of bite strength) were snapping uncontrollably. Once he finally began to wear down some, I got him into the back of my truck and had my son drive to the animal hospital while I was in the back. He had continous grand mal seizures all the way in. When we hit the parking lot, he had one final huge seizure and then quit breathing. The vet and several assistants were in the lot waiting since they knew we were on the way and what was happening (I'm sure it didn't hurt that when they kept asking me about whether I'd pay for services, and I had my wife call them with my VISA number). They gave him oxygen and several injections. He began breathing again and having severe seizures again.

To cut out all the additional details, they reviewed the pedegree history, the symptoms exibited, and decided that it was unlikely that he had epilepsy. He was sedated and given a cocktail of drugs for possible toxins that could not be checked for in their tests. I have him home now and he is still progressing, but he is certainly not back to 100%. Although it has not really changed for the worse, his personality is definitely different. Each day he seems to be getting closer to "normal".

If you do decide to go with another GSD, I'd be happy to help with anything I can. I've researched the breed quite extensively since I've become particularly attracted to the intelligence and loyalty exibited by the breed. I've had dozens of other breeds, and none have demonstrated the obedience that the GSD breed has. Anyway, I'm sorry again to hear of your loss. I wish you the best of luck in finding another companion (not a replacement).

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
BA,and Danny. It's hard to put into words how bad I feel for You both . I just hope that You both remember the good times with Your freinds ,and in time the pain and loss gets to be less ,and less . In the end I hope that you will be able to smile at the memories that Your freinds have blessed You with . John

BadAttitude

dzalphakilo said:
I'm glad that my comment made you smile. That is what life is about.

THAT'S what make this short time here worthwhile.

Apologies, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Trust me, no apoligy needed. Even though I'm still blown away with losing her, everything that has been said here has helped me deal with it. I've always been one to control my emotions. I would just put up a wall...in my mind...to block out what I didn't want to face. Always worked until now.

This is the first tragic loss that has been so close to my inner feelings. Many of you have already been through this, so you probably understand what I mean.

Your comment that made me smile really did open my eyes to reality. Thanks in more ways than I can express:tiphat:

BadAttitude

Dargo
Damn...what an ordeal that must have been!! I know what it's like to try and carry a GS when she didn't want to be carried. No siezure though.

Speaking of siezures...guess I'm hijacking my own thread;) :D BTDT
20 yrs ago I was in a bad car accident. Shorly after it happened, I had siezures. Then while sleeping I had the grand mal ones. Freaked the he!! out of my wife too. Based on what she told me, the arms, legs, etc going a million miles an hour were right on the money. Fortunately for me, the siezures were short lived. Only had that problem for about a year. To see your dog have them must have been tough to deal with. Like I said, glad he recovered.

"If you do decide to go with another GSD, I'd be happy to help with anything I can. I've researched the breed quite extensively since I've become particularly attracted to the intelligence and loyalty exibited by the breed. I've had dozens of other breeds, and none have demonstrated the obedience that the GSD breed has. Anyway, I'm sorry again to hear of your loss. I wish you the best of luck in finding another companion (not a replacement)."

Without a doubt I want another GS. Not sure how soon I should get one, but I will. Please share whatever you can. What you posted about yours taught me something I didn't know and made me jealous too....in a good way.

Thanks Dargo, I mean it!!!
BA

BadAttitude

nixon said:
BA,and Danny. It's hard to put into words how bad I feel for You both . I just hope that You both remember the good times with Your freinds ,and in time the pain and loss gets to be less ,and less . In the end I hope that you will be able to smile at the memories that Your freinds have blessed You with . John
Thanks John
One day at a time, but it's getting better. Doc's poem 'Lend me a Pup" and the pictures I have of her are helping greatly.

As tough as it is, I can still find a way to smile....:D :D :D

Thanks so much everyone
BA:tiphat:

dzalphakilo

Banned
When talking to people who've just lost a pet/friend, the reply is normally (sp?) "I could never put myself through this again" (as far as the pain in losing the pet).

My reply is that although you may hurt, remember what joy you had together with your pet, and if you can give another animal the same "love" that you had, look at the "life" you can give to another pet.

Thing that I amazing with rescues is that everyone I've taken in have been great, and if we didn't have three of our own, we would of kept every single one of them.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
BA; I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost another one last night myself. He was a big black tom we called Blacky. He came to us last winter in subzero temps, and made up his mind to stay with us. He was a very affectionate guy, never a bit of a problem. I'll miss that one, as well as the rest when they leave. He had been losing weight, and lethargic for the last 3 weeks or so. Never did find out what was wrong. Jan let him out yesterday afternoon, and he hasn't returned. Cats have a way, that some of them go off to die by themselves, we think that's what Blacky did.

On the rescue dogs. We had three, a blacklab/beagle mix, a shihtzu, and my BorderCollie. We had Monroe, the Lab/Beagle mix put down around a month or so back. Jan had her for 6 or seven years, she was a young dog. One thing I've found, or imagine about rescues, they seem to really appreciate what a person does for them. We've been very lucky with our rescues.

I get upset myself when I read about any of you guys losing a critter. I find it hard to reply to posts like this because I've had it happen at least once a year. It doesn't get any easier. Right now, I'm watching my 16 year old black lab going down hill. One thing for sure, we'll know it's time for her, when she doesn't want to eat.

Goodluck with what ever you decide.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey John,
Sorry about Blackie. :( I know what you mean. I never know what to say in these type threads, but hoping just showing we care helps. The words are hard to come by for sure.

I would like to check into helping out with rescues. Can you guys give me an idea of where to start?

Thanks! :)