• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you play with knives??????

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I was looking for something else, when I found this forum... I never would have believed that there is a forum devoted entirely to knives.... Click here...

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
About 10 years ago I saw a knife made out of "Damascus" steel. That is process of layering different types of metal back and forth on themselves. I think it makes a beautiful blade.

I met a custom knife maker about 5 years ago and had him make 2 knives - one for each of my sons. Both have what is referred to as a "bird and fish blade" (about 2 1/2" long), and made out of damascus steel. Beautiful knives.

This spring I commisioned 2 knives - for myself.
(My thought was: if I only had one, which son would get it when I'm gone? Buying 2 takes care of that dilema...now they both have one to sell :eek: .)
These are both hunting blades (~5" long) and made out of damascus. The handles - one of some exotic wood, and the other of stag horn - he custom made as well, as were the leather sheaths.

I'll try to remember to post pics tomorrow.

I thought I paid too much for them but, after looking at the site you posted, I stole them!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wannafish said:
I met a custom knife maker about 5 years ago and had him make 2 knives
Do you recall who it was?

I would like to get one of Rick Dunkerley's hand-made damascus knives but they're a little out of my price range...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These are the ones I keep in my office. The one leaning against the screen has a gold engraved & inlaid blade of a turkey strutting, it's serial # is 039/250. The one of the far left is a Partagas cigar knive. The big one in the middle might be an illegal switchblade but I'm not sure:whistle:. Bottom right is my dad's engraved mother of pearl handled pocket knive, the other small knife is my pocket knife, engraved bolster (my initials) and a schrimsaw turkey hunting scene in bone. I have some other interesting knives at home and get collectors catalogues all the time, only buy on a rare occasion.

Attachments

• 148473116933_3300.jpg
    148473116933_3300.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 166

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Bob-
What is that white thing in the far left corner of your picture?
Bonehead
A paperweight.

Attachments

• 148476773637_3300.jpg
    148476773637_3300.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 166

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Bob-
What is that white thing in the far left corner of your picture?
Bonehead

I'm guessing it's the "cigar" he has that cigar knife for; he likely smokes it vigorously before each visit to FF. :yankchain:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
This is my knife, a mass produced knife, cheap as chipboard. Its great, have it with me most the time (though never take it into town).
Had it a good couple years, it locks open or folds back into the handle. 3.5" blade.
Could probably do with a netter knife, but what I have has done pretty well so far

Attachments

• 16-10-06_2115.jpg
    16-10-06_2115.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 154

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I had one just like that Mith; no idea how I acquired it in the first place, but pretty sure I lost it years ago. :confused:

A pocket knife has followed me long before I learned to tie my shoes; the last decade or so, I've been happy with my Uncle Henry.

My favorite hunting knife is a Buck, but I like it so well in the field that I use almost anything else when skinning or butchering a hung deer.

Kitchen knives: I have a few [pre WorldKitchen imported crap] Chicago Cutlery that will take the hair off your arm with a few stokes on a packer's steel [of course, partially from laziness to find a new packer's steel, I've been using a butcher's steel lately]. Is there a good domestic made kitchen knife anymore? I'm pretty sure of a few commercial ones, but sure can't remember the brands anymore.

dang I'm verbose, I guess I should have stuck to pondering the thing beside Bob's computer :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I used to carry a knife with me everywhere. Used to be able to carry one on airplanes. I stopped that habit after 9/11 and never got back into it.

I liked these knives by Kerhaw. It was easy to open with one hand and for all intents was as good as a switchblade for ease of use.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The Dexter - Russell company is located near me and once a month they open the factory store to town residents. If you see anything in there catalog that you might like, I will see if it is available. They usually only sell "seconds" through the factory store, but usually that is only a cosmetic flaw in the products. They make some great items, and my dog has developed a liking for chewing the white plastic handles, when she finds one left on the counter. Strange thing is that she never bothers anything else on the counter, including food... Just the knife handles....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The Dexter - Russell company is located near me and once a week they open the factory store to town residents. If you see anything in there catalog that you might like, I will see if it is available. They usually only sell "seconds" through the factory store, but usually that is only a cosmetic flaw in the products. They make some great items, and my dog has developed a liking for chewing the white plastic handles, when she finds one left on the counter. Strange thing is that she never bothers anything else on the counter, including food... Just the knife handles....

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Great link Junkman; looks like quality knives! :cool2: I'll have to keep Dexter-Russell in mind if I ever get around to sorting through my kitchen stuff.

They even have what looks to be a packer's steel - though for some reason they call it a smooth butcher's steel. :confused2:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PICTURE #1: This is my favorite knife, and probably one of my most often used knives at the house.

Its from Orvis, the handle is curved beautifully and feels great in the hand without being large and bulky. This is a small knife but still very easily controlled and comfortable. Small knives often are hard to control because the handles are often too small, that is not the case with this knife. This knife also has a very thick blade with absolutely no flex, it lends itself to scraping and because of that I have probably abused this knife more than most any other I own. It sharpens well and holds an edge reasonably well, but not as good as some of my other knives.

The knive came with a hard leather belt sheath; the knife is kept in the sheath but I can't ever recall wearing it on my belt.

PICTURE #2: This is my favorite knife to toss in my pocket and use for things in the garage or outside. I find it to be virually perfect. It is light and easy to carry. It cost about $8 so it is hard to argue with the price. The handle is very comfortable and fills the hand enough without being too much and the rubber insets make it very non-slip. The box cutter blade is a bonus, providing quick work for tasks that challege other knives while the regular blade is rigid and sturdy enough for most tasks, but I'm not sure the bolsters are heavy enough to use this knife for any prying tasks. It gets used a lot and I keep it very handy so it is quick to grab and one of the first I grab for, especially when I head out the door.

Attachments

• 1Orvis-Knife.jpg
    1Orvis-Knife.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 113
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 106

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For Christmas I happened to find another knife that I consider to be a nearly perfect 'go to' knife. So I bought it and had my daughter wrap it as a gift to me. It is identical one I already have.
  • It is inexpensive.
  • It has 2 blades, one is reversable & can be replaced.
  • It is nicely shaped with no hard edges and thick enough to fill the hand.
  • It can be opened and closed with one hand.
  • The lock blade feature holds the blades to prevent closing accidently but can be easily unlocked when needed.
  • The main blade is sturdy enough for LIGHT prying, and has a partial serration for cutting rope, twine, etc.
  • The sides have rubber inlay aid in a firm, non-slip, grip.
The knife was posted above in the prior post, and is pictured in Photo 1 below.

Photo #2 below shows another knife that I got for Christmas (this one was a real gift, not given to me from me).
  • It is even less exensive
  • It has one replaceable/reversable blade.
  • It is nicely shaped . . . but has a very thin profile and does not feel secure in the hand.
  • Its sides are scored to aid with gripping but I found it to be slippery.
  • It is a very secure lock mechanism, but it requires 2 hands to close the blade.
  • It has the added feature of a belt clip attached to one side of the handle.
I cannot recommend the "Sheffield" brand Folding Lock-Back Utility Knife. But I strongly endorse the "Husky" brand (from Home Depot) Folding Lock-Back dual blade knife as an inexpensive useful pocket knife for working around the house.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 6f89_1_b.JPG
    6f89_1_b.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 89

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have about 10-15 of the design of the #2 knife Bob mentions.

Several derivations but the one made by "Great Neck" is now my favorite. "If" I had a camera.... I'd post pics

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I have about 10-15 of the design of the #2 knife Bob mentions.

Several derivations but the one made by "Great Neck" is now my favorite. "If" I had a camera.... I'd post pics

First, it is amazing how the little differences make a big difference in how these knives feel and how they work in your hand. I suppose it is just like comparing tractors or anything else that has a dedicated purpose. They may all get the job done, but the little differences in the design can make a bid difference in how they perform the task.

Second, :poke: you have a camera, it just has a broken screen :oops:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Second, :poke: you have a camera, it just has a broken screen :oops:
:yum: :yum: :yum:
You got me Bob.

What I like about the Great Neck is a thumb button that sits over the blade. It's rubber, the right size for the thumb and is in the perfect spot.

The other dozen similar knives have the straight steel top which gets uncomfortable when pressure is required.