• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2013 Mercedes Bends - SL500

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Check this bad boy out. 4.7 liter biturbo V8, 429HP, 516 LB-FT. This is one nice vehicle. I'm not wild about a red interior, but I could get used to it if necessary. :biggrin:

Pics

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Pff. You can get a 'Stang with the same power, or more, for way less, and it won't look like a polished turd. I'm sorry, but IMO Benzes just look hideous these days.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Pff. You can get a 'Stang with the same power, or more, for way less...
Well of course you can Rusty. This isn't a contest for who has the most HP, it's a combination of style, finesse, German engineering and luxury all packed into a fluid style that screams to be driven. You know, on the same lines as a Taurus... :smile:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I know, but, there's nothing that appeals to me about any recent/current Benz. Now, if you went back a decade or so...

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Now, if you went back a decade or so...
Oh hell yes, the older coupe/convertables were friggen awesome. I would love to have an early 80's SL Diesel. Their not even all that expensive, not in the grand scheme of things. Just have to look for one that has been driven lightly, maintained heavely, and kept in the garage every day of its life.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh hell yes, the older coupe/convertables were friggen awesome. I would love to have an early 80's SL Diesel. Their not even all that expensive, not in the grand scheme of things. Just have to look for one that has been driven lightly, maintained heavely, and kept in the garage every day of its life.

Oh definatley. Older diesel Benzes run forever

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife has been in love with those ever since I've known her. Like Rusty she wants and old one, the 350SL or maybe even the 450SL from the '80's.

Now I think that the new ones are BEAUTIFUL. :clap:

The only thing that saves me is being Scottish. Having something like that to drive 6 miles in to town twice a week doesn't make a whole lot of sense. PHEEEWW!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My Crossfire Roadster is 90% Mercedes with only the body panels and some trim pieces made by Karmann. The Mercedes quality is evident everywhere on the car from the fit and finish to the solid sounding doors when they close. (which is hard to do on a ragtop.)

In my opinion, Mercedes quality is superb in every regard. Top notch.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh definatley. Older diesel Benzes run forever

No they don't. The bodies rust away, the electronics fail, the windows don't open. The best engineered cars in the world made with the cheapest parts available.

Most hit thejunkyard, not because of their engines but because the rest of the car ain't worth fixin.

I know. I've had 7 Benzes. Still own two. They are excellent cars, a cut above most of the others no questtion. But, their reputation for longevity is waning.

Kane

The Mercedes quality is evident everywhere on the car from the fit and finish to the solid sounding doors when they close.
In my opinion, Mercedes quality is superb in every regard. Top notch.
Ain't that a pretty sound, TR. Body by Karmann. Remember, in America, it used to be body by Fisher. What happened to us?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Pff. You can get a 'Stang with the same power, or more, for way less, and it won't look like a polished turd. I'm sorry, but IMO Benzes just look hideous these days.

Son, you need to get yourself over to a dealer and drive one before you knock it.

I've driven a new Rousch, a new Saleen, a supercharged GT, and all I can say is - - phhhttt. Junk.

And if you really want a treat, find a used E63 Black Series, and take it for a ride.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Son, you need to get yourself over to a dealer and drive one before you knock it.

I've driven a new Rousch, a new Saleen, a supercharged GT, and all I can say is - - phhhttt. Junk.

And if you really want a treat, find a used E63 Black Series, and take it for a ride.

Starting price for a '13 SL500 is over $100k. I'll stick with the 'Stang ;)

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no way to describe it but once you have driven a Benz nothing compares. For as much as i bitch about them, inever drove one toit'snew owner without askingmyself the whole way,,,,"wy are you selling this wonderful car?"

Rusty, it is not about the economics of it. Otherwise we would all drive Yugos and KIA's. Nope, like the Jeep thing, you have to drive one for a fes days to understand.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Ain't that a pretty sound, TR. Body by Karmann. Remember, in America, it used to be body by Fisher. What happened to us?

Body by Karmann is a pretty sound, Kane. Superb in every way.

Body by Fisher is now body by Beijing. I do not know what happened to us. In some ways it is like I just woke up and found ourselves in a shit pit up to our chins. I dunno.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Starting price for a '13 SL500 is over $100k. I'll stick with the 'Stang ;)

Dude, I can tell you've never driven one.

You don't need a 150k SL55 to wet your pants.

Start with a 1986/87 190e 2.3 16v with dogleg 5-speed. That alone will make you stray from your beloved Stangs. You can pick up a mint one for less than 9k.

Then drive 190e 2.3 16V that's been DTM prepped. I have one that was prepped to DTM specs - I have every drawing of every part made by/for DTM for the Nurbergring cars, and the car is a true race ready street car.

The then try a 97 or so C36

Then 98-99 C43

Then go for broke and get into that E63BS. You will look at Mustangs and laugh at the owners.

And you can buy a 3 year old E63BS with 20k on the clock for less than
one of the new HiPo Stangs.

And it will last much longer. And be safer. And quieter. And more comfortable. And easier to repair. And ride nicer.

Now go out and try it before you bash it.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Rusty, You can buy one like this for about 9,000 dollars, and is simply so much fun to drive. A true joy.

And then 10k or so more in brakes, suspension links, and a few other goodies and for less than 20k, have a true race car, not a fat, raised hood, and kid-type graphics and visuals to make it look fast.

Attachments

• Side view (Small).JPG
    Side view (Small).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 97

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I drive a Chrysler Crossfire, (like Tiredretired has) basicaly a 2320SLC from 2002.
paid $21K for it brand spankin new.

Very nice car in everyway. It will do a respectable 14 second quarter mile and tops at over 160MPH.

My wife has one with the AMG engine. Un fricken believable.
3300 lb car with 400HP. Virtualy no production Mustang will even come close.
Not off the line, not in the twisties and not for ride and comfort.
The sucker goes 200MPH. And will last the balance of my lifetime.

I paid $15K for it with 20 K on the clock.

Both are 100% Mercedes under the hood and throughout the car, The only thing Chrysler on the vehicles was the sticker in the windows and the contract I signed when I bought it.

The SL500 is the latest evolution of that desgn and it is flawless, supple and awesome.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Rusty, You can buy one like this for about 9,000 dollars, and is simply so much fun to drive. A true joy.

And then 10k or so more in brakes, suspension links, and a few other goodies and for less than 20k, have a true race car, not a fat, raised hood, and kid-type graphics and visuals to make it look fast.

I earn <$25k a year. That really wouldn't be feasable :yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I drive a Chrysler Crossfire, (like Tiredretired has) basicaly a 2320SLC from 2002.
paid $21K for it brand spankin new.

Very nice car in everyway. It will do a respectable 14 second quarter mile and tops at over 160MPH.

My wife has one with the AMG engine. Un fricken believable.
3300 lb car with 400HP. Virtualy no production Mustang will even come close.
Not off the line, not in the twisties and not for ride and comfort.
The sucker goes 200MPH. And will last the balance of my lifetime.

I paid $15K for it with 20 K on the clock.

Both are 100% Mercedes under the hood and throughout the car, The only thing Chrysler on the vehicles was the sticker in the windows and the contract I signed when I bought it.

The SL500 is the latest evolution of that desgn and it is flawless, supple and awesome.

What Franc said. We got great deals, didn't we Franc. BTW, Franc I've been invited to participate in a Mopar Muscle Show August 12 in Burlington. They have never had a Crossie so I will be there. Stopped by the dealership to check out a Challenger Yellow Jacket and received the invite on the spot. LOL. Should be fun.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
What Franc said. We got great deals, didn't we Franc. BTW, Franc I've been invited to participate in a Mopar Muscle Show August 12 in Burlington. They have never had a Crossie so I will be there. Stopped by the dealership to check out a Challenger Yellow Jacket and received the invite on the spot. LOL. Should be fun.

That is awesome pal

Rep us well my good friend.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Call me jealous.

You can still find themm at these prices.
One sold just down the street from me, 2005 SRT AMG Crossfire, black coupe 75K on the clock,,,,,$11,900.00

Guy did not know what he had,,,,And I had nothing in the bank with which to take advantage of his ignorance,,,, or it would be in my driveway.

$ 15 to $ $20K will get you a nice one. An Na (215 HP two seater) can be had for $10K to $18K depending on age and miles.

Keep in mind, a Benz with only 70K-90K on the clock is still a young car.

You want jealous? Here is what parks in my driveway. All three of them are a blast to drive.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You can still find themm at these prices.
One sold just down the street from me, 2005 SRT AMG Crossfire, black coupe 75K on the clock,,,,,$11,900.00

Guy did not know what he had,,,,And I had nothing in the bank with which to take advantage of his ignorance,,,, or it would be in my driveway.

$ 15 to $ $20K will get you a nice one. aAn Na (215 HP two seater) can be had for $10K to $18K depending onageand miles.

Keep in mind, a Benz with only 70K-90K on the clock is still a young car.

You want jealous? Here is what parks in my driveway. All three of them are a blast to drive.

Those are some very nice prices right there. Prices seem to have leveled off over the past year. Something I for one am very glad to see.That Aero Blue SRT is a great color. A perfect fit for mother.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Those are some very nice prices right there. Prices seem to have leveled off over the past year. Something I for one am very glad to see.

At the spring Dragon, Kim Possible,who you know is inthe business, said that our cars have leveled off and will no longer depreciate. Also, they have "classic staus now, Officialy from some of the insurance companies.

I suspect an SRT will likely fetch twice that in 10 to 15 years. Verts are already in the low twenties again. I really wish I had bought Rudy's when I had the chance.

Sorry about snatching the thread, But this is about Benzes right?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Are the brakes and suspension interchangeable with other Benzes? Could you mount AMG spindles and brakes on the cars?

Bilstein shocks, or ?

I need to look at some of these! For that kind of money, you can't loose!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Are the brakes and suspension interchangeable with other Benzes? Could you mount AMG spindles and brakes on the cars?

Bilstein shocks, or ?

I need to look at some of these! For that kind of money, you can't loose!
Yes Yes and Yes. There are some things that do not interchange exactly and some mods for the Benz occasionaly need to be altered to fit but mostly, everthing is interchangeble on the drive lines.

The Crossfire is one of the best kept secrets of Detroit.
If you want to learn more about them,,,,go here
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/index.php