• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hauling a Vette

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure if you've taken this route before so I'll toss it out.

Don't forget to turn off the radar detector when you get to VA.

You'll also have a couple very long hills in front of you. Downhill in your direction. You may want to downshift so you don't cook your brakes. IIRC, it was near Fancy Gap, VA.

Once you're into NC, you're going to find people are driving a bit faster on I-77. Watch for people blowing past you at 85+. Ditto once you get on I-95 (which is going to feel like a loonnngggg ride since it's normally crowded and you really need to pay attention).

jwstewar

We actually didn't even bring the radar detector. Just planned on running the limit. I just swapped out from driving. We are now on 26 about 25 miles from 95.

I will give the Dodge Props, it did a good job of grade braking. On those long hills I didn't even touch the brake. Just took my foot off the gas.

loboloco

We actually didn't even bring the radar detector. Just planned on running the limit. I just swapped out from driving. We are now on 26 about 25 miles from 95.

I will give the Dodge Props, it did a good job of grade braking. On those long hills I didn't even touch the brake. Just took my foot off the gas.

Dang, you passed close. Wish you luck on the haulage. I have kind of stayed out of this one cause I used to contract for this type of work.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just planned on running the limit.
That will add some time...

I think we're about the same distance to your destination (1050 miles). My best time is 14 hours flat. Worst was our last trip at almost 20 hours. Sat in a traffic jam for close to 3 hours. Normally, we do it in right around 16.

jwstewar

At a Cracker Barrel just south of Jacksonville. Going to try to go another hour and then stop for the night. F-I-L shoulders are bothering him, so I'll be driving the rest of tonight. He was able to drive probably 4 or 5 hours. I'm surprised he made it thY long.

jwstewar

Got it loaded up, and left about 12, by the time we got out of town and got gas, it was about 12:30. We've driven about 3 hours on the FL turnpike. One toll was $16, one was $7.50, and then we were going to get something to eat (but didn't) and got right back on and cost us $3. I'll post a pic later.

jwstewar

You know people slam the 5.3 and say it isn't a towing motor, I'll you what, I wouldn't trade my stock 5.3 for this chipped and breathing 5.7 Hemi. Oh, and I can get 9.5 MPG towing my 10k box camper and this one is only doing 9 towing 2200 of flat trailer. Don't know yet loaded, it is running 3rd a lot and 2nd frequently. Haven't figured out how to lock overdrive out.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You know people slam the 5.3 and say it isn't a towing motor, I'll you what, I wouldn't trade my stock 5.3 for this chipped and breathing 5.7 Hemi. Oh, and I can get 9.5 MPG towing my 10k box camper and this one is only doing 9 towing 2200 of flat trailer. Don't know yet loaded, it is running 3rd a lot and 2nd frequently. Haven't figured out how to lock overdrive out.

Next time get a Cummins. And throw that auto tranny away

My experience suggests Manual trannies and diesel engines.
My 95 one ton Dodge gets 15-18 MPG pulling a load (32 foor camper was easy Dozer, not so much) Empty almost 20. And it stays in the gear you put it.

Automatics are for toys and grocery getters. Tow vehicles should be manual trans.

Real trucks have dually wheels, manual tranmissions and say Cummins on the side.

That said, I have hear very good things about the newer Hemis. How old is yours.?

Last edited:

jwstewar

His is a 2005 with now 17,600 miles on it. It is a 2500 Heavy Duty Crew Cab 8 foot bed. I think my 1500 Silverado pulls better suspension aside. Oh BTW, this is the first time it has ever towed anything. I couldn't even get the brake controller to hold the trailer so I could latch the ball until I adjusted it.

jwstewar

Oh, you want to hear something funny. F-I-L got into an argument over gas. He says a vehicle uses more gas if it gets less than 1/2 tank. I know a lot of vehicles the 2nd half of the tank will go faster, but MPGs don't go down. We'be had to stop everytime we get to 5/8s of a tank.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, you want to hear something funny. F-I-L got into an argument over gas. He says a vehicle uses more gas if it gets less than 1/2 tank. I know a lot of vehicles the 2nd half of the tank will go faster, but MPGs don't go down. We'be had to stop everytime we get to 5/8s of a tank.
:yum::yum::yum:

Us old farts can be stupidly stubborn like that.

As fuel levels go down, so does weight load. So in fact MPG would go Up.

But hardly noticeble on a 6,000 lb truck.

BTW, assuming I am wrong here,,,,,Getting off the highway to refill at 1/2 tankful would use more gas than your FIL's theory could possibly save.:brows:

jwstewar

:yum::yum::yum:

Us old farts can be stupidly stubborn like that.

As fuel levels go down, so does weight load. So in fact MPG would go Up.

But hardly noticeble on a 6,000 lb truck.

BTW, assuming I am wrong here,,,,,Getting off the highway to refill at 1/2 tankful would use more gas than your FIL's theory could possibly save.:brows:

I agree with both of these sentiments. Takes a lot of time to, have to make sure you can get in and out with the trailer. He would just rather put 30 or 40 in vs. 70 or 80 or more.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with both of these sentiments. Takes a lot of time to, have to make sure you can get in and out with the trailer. He would just rather put 30 or 40 in vs. 70 or 80 or more.

The vette is what the trip is all about.

Humour him and let the old guy have the day. Picking up the car of his dreams... It is, after all, his day.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like the trip is going good. When do you guys expect to be back in Ohio?

jwstewar

Trip couldn't have really gone any better. We are almost to Chattanooga TN. GPS is saying 5:15, by the time we.stop to day and get gas 2 or 3 more times, I'm expecting 6:30.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you avoided the West Virgina turnpike on the return trip. Probably a good move. :thumb:

jwstewar

Yep, that is why we came this way. F-I-L is now driving and getting a lesson in towing through hills.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And when it does get on the ground, you will post vids of that vette drifting, right?:whistling:

jwstewar

:biggrin: I looked the specs up, I was surprised, this car only had 210 HP stock and did 92 mph and 15.5 in the qrtr. Compared to todays cars, it is slow.

jwstewar

Really wish I was the one driving through the mountains of TN. Just glad it isn't my motor and tranny taking the abuse. He won't rev the engine and keeps lugging it and jerking the tranny to keep the engine from reving.

jwstewar

I'll try to get picks when we stop. I'm fighting with my phone. It keeps losing pics. I'll take them and then they'll disappear. I've got a chain wrap around each lower control ARM in the front going to the opposite corner. Then the rear I used 2 t-hooks in the frame in FRONT of the rear suspension and too it to the opposite corner of the trailer. None have loosened so far, I keep checking them. I also put chicks on each side of the back tires and secured them with a rachet strap around each tire.

jwstewar

Not sure if we are going to make it back today or not. We stopped at Hooters. Don't think we will be able to get the F-I-L out of the restaurant.