• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Auto lift for service and storage

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay guys, after 3 years of debating I'm about ready to buy a lift for my barn. I was all set on a 2 post lift because it would allow me more room. However, no matter where I put a 2 post lift, it will eliminate some of my pallet shelving access from my fork truck. That is not a good thing.

After reading more and more about the 4 post lifts that can be moved on casters (when not loaded with vehicles), I think that is the way to go. Here is the lift that I am seriously considering right now Panther 7K service/storage lift Also, here is one that I may have to go with because of the extra height under the lift with a car on top Extra height lift

The idea of being able to move the lift and still access all of my shelving is going to be the ticket. So far I've been able to get a quote of exactly $100 less than what is listed in the link I provided above. I'm open to cheaper prices on that same lift or hearing about pricing on comparable lifts. In all reality, here is the lift I most likely need Panther 9K storage/service lift since my big Dodge weighs in just under 8,000 pounds and I'd like to be able to use the lift to service it as well. I've found a quote of $1895 for this lift. Again, I'd welcome better prices on this lift or pricing on competitive quality service/storage lifts that are similar and can be moved on included castors.

Oh, one more link. Here is another 9k lift I'm considering if I can get more info, testamonials and better price quotes. Direct Lift 9k

Somebody help me! My wife thinks I've lost my mind...

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 7000 pound Eagle 4 post lift and really like it . I paid about $3000 I think for mine and that was about 10 years ago ! That is a great price if it is any good . BUY IT !!!

Cityboy

Banned
I'd buy the 15K two post lift because of the versatility. A good friend of mine has one and it is nice for doing wheel, axle and brake work, and can accomodate a dually pick-up, which I don't think you will be able to do on the 4-poster. It might get to be a pain pushing that 4-poster around after a while.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
I'd buy the 15K two post lift because of the versatility. A good friend of mine has one and it is nice for doing wheel, axle and brake work, and can accomodate a dually pick-up, which I don't think you will be able to do on the 4-poster. It might get to be a pain pushing that 4-poster around after a while.

Yeah, I know, but using a 2 post lift will eliminate about 20' of 16' high pallet shelving that I just cannot give up. Knowing that, as much as I like the idea of the 2 post system, it looks like a 2 post system is out.

I think I'm actually now leaning towards that Direct Lift 9k deal. If you go to the link, it looks like they have a pretty good "sale" with all the options included for $2495.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is a 4 post Direct Lift brand. I can't say anything bad about it and it came with the casters so it can be moved around. You can't beat the price I got as my neighbor bought a bunch of them and this was "extra" so it sort of appeared in my garage, he even brought his employee to build it for me.

It works, its stable, it lifts as high as I need, but they have some that lift higher and lift more weight.

If I had any complaint at all is that it is a little slow going up and a little slow going down, but then I don't know of any that are faster.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I would want to look at the lift in person if it is at all possible. I saw about 8 or 10 four post lifts when I was at Carlisle PA swap meet this past spring and talked to each of the vendors. One of the most common comments made was how safe there lift was compared to the other competitors. This is one time that weight makes a difference because the more it weighs, the more steel is in it. I wasn't impressed with most of the Chinese imports because the welds just didn't look like they were well done. I did find a lift company that is located in Ohio that made a super strong and well designed lift, but it was also on the high end of the price spectrum. I would strongly recommend that you consider the Bend Pak that is made in Texas. It is well constructed and they have a good track record. When it comes to a lift, buying American is more than patriotic, it make good sense. I know that Bob has one in his garage, but I don't know who the manufacturer is. Many of the lifts today can be ordered extra wide, as well as extra high and / or long. Junk...

HGM

Have you looked at inground lifts? You wouldnt loose any space due to vertical risers.. I really have no idea about the price, but I have used some in the past and they are far more user freindly(no door dings or repositioning because of the lift riser)... I remember seeing a $8k price tag on some in the past, but I'm sure their are other MFG's and price options... Just a thought.. But that appears to be a great deal on the 4 post.

HGM

BTW, I agree with CB.... There are alot of things you cannot do with a drive on lift...

Cityboy

Banned
Seems to me what you really need is a nice new shop to put that pretty new lift in...:D ...yeah, that's the ticket! Problem solved.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
After reading more and more about the 4 post lifts that can be moved on casters (when not loaded with vehicles), I think that is the way to go.

Uhhhhh . . . just so you know, you can move the Direct Lift brand lifts WITH a vehicle on it, by using their casters. I don't know about the other brands. In looking at the Panther Lift it seems like the uprights are smaller sectionally? Hard to tell from the photos.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Most 4 post lifts can be moved with the car on them, but all must have the car lowered to move them. How easily they roll will depend on the type of wheels and the surface that you are rolling on. If smooth concrete, it will roll relatively easily, but on a rough concrete surface, you will be doing a lot of extra pushing, and possibly need help....

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay, I've looked at about 2 dozen lifts and I'm starting to memorize statistics now. :( I've gone back and forth between 2 and 4 post lifts and I think I've settled on a 10k 2 post lift. If I bought a 4 post lift I would have to also buy two jack trays and two expensive and heavy jacks to lift the vehicle off of the drive on ramps to do much of the work I do. Then the ramps will still be in the way.

With the high ceiling I have, it looks like I will still be able to park under one of the two post lifts that are made for high ceiling applications. Does anyone have any experience with any particular brand? When digging deep into the lifts, it seems that about half are made in China and about half are made in Korea.

Here is a consideration, the TP010 TP010. After a few weeks of price shopping etc., this lift has been offered to me for $1569. Most other competitors seem to be stuck at $1775 for their lifts with the same specs. Thoughts on this lift?

LarryRB

My in laws bought 5 of them for their Chrysler garage.,. They bought from Eagle equipment. Lifts are about 10 years old, performed flawlessly.. Each one could, and did, pick up dual wheel one ton Dodge pick ups.. Never had a problem with any Eagle equipment

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My 10k two post lift was manufactured last Thursday and shipped out yesterday. Yeehaa! If all goes well and I get it installed, I'll be an oil changin', tire rotatin' fool this weekend!! :D

P.S. I asked, and if the Eagle equipment LarryRB mentioned is actually anywhere close to 10 years old, it would have been made by the same company who made mine. Eagle stuff is now China made. :mad:

Heck, I even got an additional $74 off of shipping because a big transmission shop in my town ordered 8 lifts just like mine that are shipping in the same order. Woo hoo! I may go buy me a scratch off lottery card. :thumb: Oh, hold that, my lift will likely be the one that gets damaged in shipping. :eek:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
My 10k two post lift was manufactured last Thursday and shipped out yesterday. Yeehaa! If all goes well and I get it installed, I'll be an oil changin', tire rotatin' fool this weekend!! :D

I'll bring the tractors and the pick-em-up over on Sunday morning.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I'll bring the tractors and the pick-em-up over on Sunday morning.
You going to rotate the tires on your tractor? :whistle: :StickOutT

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It's here and installation has started. Let's see, what was that one line in the instructions..."warning, hydraulic components can cause severe crush injuries..."

The phone pic doesn't pick up all the nice colors.

Attachments

• first blood.jpg
    first blood.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 125

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
It's here and installation has started. Let's see, what was that one line in the instructions..."warning, hydraulic components can cause severe crush injuries..."

The phone pic doesn't pick up all the nice colors.

That's just a plain ol' blood blister , and not a hydraulic injection, right?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, the "empty" sled that holds the lift arms (not yet installed) came down rather quickly and rather mashed my one finger. The phone pic didn't do a good job of picking up all the other pretty colors all around the large dark area. The part it picked up appears to be just a nasty blood blister, but there is other colors that show the crush part.

My wife squealed because it shot a thin stream of blood out from under the nail on her. :yum: I think that worked well because the nail isn't all black today. The only issue is that it's a bit sore and will slow my progress today. :(

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
That is what happens when you work with the wife. You should have a bunch of your male friends over to help you!!!!!!!!!!!! Junk..:yankchain: :yankchain:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
That is what happens when you work with the wife. You should have a bunch of your male friends over to help you!!!!!!!!!!!! Junk..:yankchain: :yankchain:

If only he had some....:yankchain:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Oh, I bought some of those. They are called employees. :thumb:
Yup, those are the good kind of friends. They do the work and then go home without drinking all the beer. :D

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Ah, a little more blood and one worn out puppy and I am all finished except wiring the electric to it and then fine tuning it. Good lord, am I worn out...Miller time! :burp: :burp:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How long did it take to build that thing? My 4 post lift was done in a couple hours (3 guys working, plus me as go-fer). Is a 2 post a bigger project? What type of anchors does it use to hold it into the concrete without cracking? How big are the floor plates and how many bolts? PICTURES????

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Ah, a little more blood and one worn out puppy and I am all finished except wiring the electric to it and then fine tuning it. Good lord, am I worn out...Miller time! :burp: :burp:

You used your wife and puppy to help you set this thing up?:confused2:

No wonder you're bleeding. Where are your "employees" - lounging around the pool?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
How long did it take to build that thing? My 4 post lift was done in a couple hours (3 guys working, plus me as go-fer). Is a 2 post a bigger project? What type of anchors does it use to hold it into the concrete without cracking? How big are the floor plates and how many bolts? PICTURES????

Bite me! :moon:

My wife used the shop vac to keep the dust from hiding my reference drawings on the floor when I was drilling. Otherwise, 100% of the installation has been a one man project. You ought to have seen the waltz with one man 'waltzing' a 13' tall 800 pound post across the floor and into the correct position. Better yet, you should have seen one man stand the posts upright. I have a 14' clearance from floor to ceiling. The mast top on the fork lift is about 4' higher than the forks when you lift. Oh, oh, even more fun was to watch me climb a 10' step ladder while carrying a 200 pound crossbar that goes on top of the posts and spans them. Look ma, no hands...

I just finished pulling all the wire above the ceiling to drop down to the controls on the lift. I'm taking a heat break and going to good ole Rural King to buy some conduit that will go from the ceiling down to the control panel on the lift. I just don't like the looks or the idea of exposed romex wiring. And, yes, it's quite a bit more of a bit** to get a two post lift all lined up and plumb with the world. Especially when you have everything all measured out and chalk lined to perfection only to find that the instruction measurements are only "approximate". :mad:

You have fun on the beach. I've quit bleeding now from finding a sharp edge on the top of my electric panel, so I need to get back to work. :wave:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
We have lift off!! I still need to set the catch cable at the top and re-torque the system after running a vehicle up and down a few times and work to get the rest of the air out of the system. But, other than that, all seems great! :thumb: And, other than my wife helping with cleaning some dust when I was drilling holes, I can honestly say that I did the complete setup myself.

Of course there was one last bug when I first went to use it. When I tried first raise the lift, hydraulic fluid sprayed out from the bottom of the passenger side post. :mad: It appears as if a 6" long 3/8" black iron nipple got bent and had sprung a leak. I had my lovely wife hold her thumb in the hole while I ran to a neighbor's place and made a new 6" nipple from 3/8" black iron.

After I get some couch time, I'm going to give it a workout and have it lift my 8k truck up and down a few times. most of the other 10k lifts had a 2 hp motor, mine has a 3 hp motor. I don't know if it will make any difference, but it seems to run smooth and does not strain any.

Best of all, I still have all fingers and toes attached. Some are rather injured, but all are attached. Heck, I even managed to do all the wiring without any incident at all. :a1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice to see it finally completed. Glad I could help.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I just finished getting the locking dogs syncronized and the safety catch at the top installed and gave the lift a test. It appears after looking that I could go another 6" or so higher, but the rear wheels on my pickup are 49" off the ground in this pic.

Now I get to spend the next week finishing the ceiling in my barn and cleaning it. :( Oh well, the lift works anyway. I can raise my Durango high enough to where I can park my Jeep Cherokee under it. I'm still a bit nervous being under an 8500 pound pickup though. I think that will take a bit of getting used to. :eek:

Yes, I know, my barn is a total mess right now...

Attachments

• it is up.jpg
    it is up.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 119