• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I Don't Know What I Did To My Car Tonight!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You may check your insurance, since it was a road hazard, you may have coverage for a rental car at no charge. The insurance may pay for the damages too. You may weight getting a police report done since you were "Just" under the speed limit, it was dark and not the normal route you drive and weren't familiar with that set of track in the dark....Right? Not to mention that it was an emergency with your dogs tooth caught in the....whateveritwas.....

Since it was Road damage, the insurance may also cover all the repair costs.

Asked my son about it, he was an insurance adjuster for Geico and Progressive for some time before going to work for TSA.

If the insurance covers it, the dealership is the best place to fix the mechanical stuff and you get a national warranty for the repairs.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes Fred, there are several. I just figured the original place might be nice to me and not try to take me, as it were.
By the way, I DID put the key in the ignition a while ago and clicked it, but didn't try to start it. There is still power to the engine.
Good sign, yes?
Until Monday I am stuck with a Mercury Mystique :yum:, then I'll get a loaner car from the dealer or whoever I decide who is going to work on it.
They got their kindness & compassion training from your Congressman. Need I say more? I trust NO dealer to do work fairly or competently. I know too many good indy's in my area that will cut a deal for cash, on top of being damn fine mechanics. The biggest dealer in my area has hacks in his service bays, who can't find their way out of a paper bag with the end open, much less diagnose a tough problem and resolve it in a reasonable amount of time. It took me too many thousands of dollars to learn that lesson. If my mechanic's wife ever throws him out, I told him he has a room at my house anytime.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
They got their kindness & compassion training from your Congressman. Need I say more? I trust NO dealer to do work fairly or competently. I know too many good indy's in my area that will cut a deal for cash, on top of being damn fine mechanics. The biggest dealer in my area has hacks in his service bays, who can't find their way out of a paper bag with the end open, much less diagnose a tough problem and resolve it in a reasonable amount of time. It took me too many thousands of dollars to learn that lesson. If my mechanic's wife ever throws him out, I told him he has a room at my house anytime.

The sad part about not knowing mechanic's personally, the dealership is the best route, they do have a warranty with the work done, if it is crappy, they will do it again and get it fixed. If she takes a trip and something goes wrong, it can be fixed at another dealership on the road. The local shops don't do a warranty outside of their shop in most cases.

Personnally, I don't let anyone touch my equipment, I do it myself.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Bugger, PG, tell the machanic those muffler bearings should be still OK as waybomb does really know his stuff here.

Hey, my thesis was titled "Muffler Bearings in a changing world of metalurgical anomolies in fragulator kanutin valves". If there's one thing I know, it is Muffler Bearings in a changing world of metalurgical anomolies in fragulator kanutin valves.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
yay! the towing service just came and got the car!
I believe I have been referred to a very good mechanic from several people at work.
Never heard of this guy before, and he's out in the country, has his own business/shop.

A gal I work with and her mother use him whenever they need anything done to their cars. They said he is fair, very fair with what he charges for labour and he does a very good job.

It was cool watching the guy getting the car up on the ramp, but the poor thing was out there in the cold doing it. :(

Bye bye car.. come back to me all new and working properly.
I'll never treat you so roughly again..:bonk:
lol

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck with the car. Hope it is something that does not involve engine removal.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
PG , If the Motor is toast , I would seriously consider getting something like this instead of dumping money in that old beast of yours . Its peddle power so your milage should be impressive and it'll makes those hips be ready for summer too !!!!

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 90

Trakternut

PG , If the Motor is toast , I would seriously consider getting something like this instead of dumping money in that old beast of yours . Its peddle power so your milage should be impressive and it'll makes those hips be ready for summer too !!!!

Nuttin wrong with her hips, my friend! :brows:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG - Maybe I missed it. Did you talk to your ins co? Do you have collision/comp on it?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Let's all go to the lobby, Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go tho the lobby and get ourselve a snack......

When we last left our damsel she had been thrown from her trusty steed and was left to hitch a ride on Mrs. Browns cow. Meanwhile, the injured stallion is being examined by the local vet to determine if it needs to be put down....

Poor Penelope Pitstop...what ever will she do? Anxiously, everyone waits for the Docs call...

:yum: Hope you don't mind. I know it's not fun for you in real life. Just remember, everything happens for a reason. Maybe you were meant to get ...(announcers voice) A BRAND NEW CAR!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Stop that Cowboy!!:hammer::yum:
I know what I did.
The guy said: you bottomed it out. The oil pan is shot, the muffler bent too, they are going to replace the oil pan, etc.. also I think he said pistons? and two other things, rods or something?
Said he can go in and heat something and bend it back so that doesn't have to be replaced.
Total repair- $420 including labour.
We'll go from there.
Such is life. I'll deal with it. :smile:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You were a lucky girl . I expected it to be a lot more $$$$$$

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well PG....now that you know roughly how much its gonna cost you........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7qPbvZDCM"]YouTube- The Best of Dukes Stunts 01[/ame]

:whistling::whistling:

:flowers:

D

darroll

Little Pirate,

Take your cute little lead foot off of the accelerator.
Just press gently.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
What about the Muffler Bearings? Are they going to be able to reuse them?

Glad it was about what I figured it would be by your discription... I should open my own shop again....nah, have to deal with the public....

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What about the Muffler Bearings? Are they going to be able to reuse them?

Glad it was about what I figured it would be by your discription... I should open my own shop again....nah, have to deal with the public....
He probably said bearings and I said pistons.
What the hell do I know?
I am not into car speak, which is why I need a man around...

NOT :yum:

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
He probably said bearings and I said pistons.
What the hell do I know?
I am not into car speak, which is why I need a man around...

NOT :yum:
i know that things cost a little less in the lower 48 but if your oil light came on and you drove 3 blockds thats no oil to your engine the equivalant to cutting the jugulat vein so 450 seems a little too cheap in any economy for replacing the rod and main bearings wich should include the crank shaft also 450 should be parts only than you have about 20 hours of labor and oil pan and oil pump and pickup tube do the math i don't think it can be done right for that price this is best case if you have rod or main damage those parts and the associated parts will cost additional a damaged main jurnal will require a rebuild because the block will have to be stripped and sent to a machine shop