• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How do I adjust the steering bands on a DMC 1450?

dgafford

I have a 1978 DMC 1450 Super Imp. It veers to the left on flat open ground with no input from the driver. Also, the steering differential often gets hot after a couple of miles. When that happens, the machine develops a severe veer to the left. It seems to me that both these problems may be caused by the a same left steering band being to tight and dragging. Where are the steering band adjustments located and how do get to them and make the proper adjustments? If anyone can help me with this, I will be "much obliged"

Don Gafford

cabinboy

Don the ajustment for the brakes are on the upper part of the rear end .you will need to remove the decking covering the rear end and you will see two hydrolic cylinders with a threaded rod sticking out of them, the nut on the end is what you will ajust for tension on the brakes. Left one for left brake and right one for the right brake. Also check that your track tension is the same on both sides. What kid of cab does your imp have ? And how about some pictures of your imp!!!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The factory adjustment procedure goes like this; tighten each nut on the rear adjuster to 200 inch pounds and then back off 1.75 turns.

I usually do about 2 turns to make sure they are not going to be too tight.

As to the differential heat problem change out your differential fluid immediately and use the recommended fluids in this thread by Snowcat Pat: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7760&page=2

dgafford

Don the ajustment for the brakes are on the upper part of the rear end .you will need to remove the decking covering the rear end and you will see two hydrolic cylinders with a threaded rod sticking out of them, the nut on the end is what you will ajust for tension on the brakes. Left one for left brake and right one for the right brake. Also check that your track tension is the same on both sides. What kid of cab does your imp have ? And how about some pictures of your imp!!!

Thanks cabin boy.

I found them and adjusted.

speedy

Banned
Our club has a 1969 Bombardier SV-200. I adjusted the bands similar to what was suggested and it works great. The only difference was I backed the nut off 8 to 9 flats (1-1/2 turns). I used a 1" crowfoot on the torque wrench for the big nut and locked the 7/8" nut against that.
I don't know if it's the same OC-12 rear end but it seems to work.

Now if it doesn't go straight I'll know it's the track tension. The tight track always seems to go faster. Weird.

kapowee

What fluid should I use In my DMc 1450 With a blade In the OC12 Rearend, And How much fluid does it hold. Anybody have a pic of inside a OC12 Rearend?

Thanks

speedy

Banned
We use TransHydraulic oil in ours. About 7 gallons. There is a plug on the left side we fill to. Then we use the dip stick to check. Tranydraulic oil is clear so it's hard to see it on the dip stick.
Speedy
1969 Bombardier SV200