• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cracked oc-12 side support brackets

akmountaineer

I started sprucing up a Dmc 1450 that I picked up last spring, and in going through the systems I found both oc-12 side support brackets are cracked through at the bolts. I'm not sure what they intended with such flimsy metal, or really what the point is of these things is. Anyway, I figured I'd replace them with some thicker material. My problem is that both the left and right bolts came out no problem on each bracket, but the middle bolt just spins like there is some kind of keeper inside the oc-12. I checked the other side and it is the same. Anyone know how to get them out so i can remove the bracket? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 2013-12-19 21.37.19.jpg
    2013-12-19 21.37.19.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 263

d2doug

There are curved backing plates with nuts welded to them for the bolts that you are removing. You will have to remove the top diff housing cover plate to see them . Hope this helps.

akmountaineer

Thanks. I discovered per the parts diagram that just the center bolt has a nut on the inside of diff instead of threaded sockets like the other two. I wonder why they did it that way. It sure makes the job much more difficult.

d2doug

The only reason I knew about the backing plates was that I picked up a trashed oc-12 from a ski resort for parts. They had planed to rebuild it someday, but left it out in the weather without the top cover on. It filled with mud and water,sat for a few seasons and the rest is history. Good luck with yours! Doug

d2doug

I almost forgot. The reason for the plates is that threads in the aluminum housing would never had withstood the stress of the final drives and the bolts would have pulled the threads.