• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"The Exploding Whale Guy" is dead at the age of 84

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This guy was an engineer from the Oregon Dept of Transportation and was made famous for blowing up a dead whale that ended up rotting on the beach in the 70s.

It was a huge event back then and very controversial. (and dangerous)

What goes up - Must come down.

It rained blubber well past the 1/4 mile safety zone onto the people and their cars. :yum:

Oh, the carnage.

Well - He died. Some people think of the Simpson episode about this, that episode was based on reality.

STORY and VIDEO can be found => Exploding-whale engineer George Thornton has died at age 84 | OregonLive.com

He left behind quite a few enemies. So I'm thinking they should have his service on the beach. There is even an entire website dedicated to him and the whale that he exploded on that fateful day.

LINK => http://theexplodingwhale.com

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I just made my wife sit through this she said " look at all that falling mucktuck" which is what the Eskimo's call blubber . By the way this may be hard for us white folks to swallow but mucktuck is a delicacy up here. I have tried it I would rather eat at taco bell.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I just made my wife sit through this she said " look at all that falling mucktuck" which is what the Eskimo's call blubber . By the way this may be hard for us white folks to swallow but mucktuck is a delicacy up here. I have tried it I would rather eat at taco bell.

Had some at Barrow years ago when I was on the icebreaker. Only way I'd do that again would be if the only alternative
was lutefisk! :ermm: