• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

If the Amish don't pay taxes then can Pro-Lifers withhold taxes?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, but its my understanding that Amish people do not pay SOME SPECIFIC taxes and live apart from the US Government and its systems. Its got something to do with their religious beliefs.

AND, if our congress passes a health care bill that allows for public funding of abortion then it seems like there could be a case for some religious groups to use the same logic that exempts the Amish.

So if you are a member of a church that is fundamentally opposed to abortion and its church dogma supports that belief (for example the Catholic Church), then could members of that religion simply withhold a portion of their taxes and have that JUSTIFIED LEGALLY in the same way the Amish are exempt? I'm NOT saying they would pay no taxes, but simply wondering if a PORTION of the taxes could be withheld on specific grounds?

I would think that for this to work a person would have to be a practicing member of a faith that clearly opposes abortion.

Any thoughts?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They pay taxes the same as you and I. They have so many kids and other deductions they rarely owe anything. They also fall behind on their state and local taxes like anybody else. There are 5 farms around me right now delinquent on last years county and school taxes. 3 have their place up for sale right now. Now I also know that they have a huge underground cash economy of which I sometimes partake. I just showed one today how to do an exemption certificate for NAPA so he does not have to pay sales tax for farm use. He already had one at the feed store and hardware but did not know his parts for his motors were eligible. They also qualify for medicaid and some use it,some don't.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just did some digging. Apparently they don't pay SOCIAL SECURITY taxes if they stay within their communities but they do pay other taxes.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll tell you what Bob !

I'll support your attempt to not pay full taxes and will visit you when the idiot goverment dudes throw your sorry butt in jail . They only want us little guys anyway ! I'll even deliver daily news about FF too . :yum:

Seriously , you make a damn valid point . I did not know about the Amish/tax thing .

EDIT : ok I just saw your 2nd post . So I assume they can't draw SS when they reach 65 ?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
EDIT : ok I just saw your 2nd post . So I assume they can't draw SS when they reach 65 ?

I would presume that is true.

But they argue that the separation of Church/State must be maintained. So using that logic, it still strikes me that members of established churches that have a historical basis of opposition to abortion would be able to abstain from funding abortion on the grounds that they would also not use that portion of the "health care" since they don't believe in it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You are correct about social security. You could do the same thing but you would not be able to collect when you retire. The Amish don't retire. They keep making kids till they can't! Then the kids look after them.