• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oh dear I really shouldn't have done it!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Just thought you might like to see my latest 'mad buy', well it makes a change from working on a Snowtrac!

Attachments

• argocat 002.jpg
    argocat 002.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 353

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice little toy you got there Anita!

We have those here in the US. They seem to be more common in 6 wheel configuration, but I've also seen the 8 wheel versions. Is that an older model? It looks somewhat less modern than what I'm used to seeing here.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool! :thumb:
What engine does it have? Any special plans on where you'll use it?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
That looks like a great toy for the 'no-snow' season !!!

Congratulations and have fun :thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Great find Ice Queen! I love those things. Always wanted one after watcher Space 1999! They used those all the time as moon crawlers. Maybe one day.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I believe it has a Briggs and Stratton engine, the only experience I have with those engines are on lawn mowers and have caused me to use more bad language than any other motor. I certainly hope this one starts better. I have no knowledge of its age, it looks pretty ancient to me too, but it did drive up on to the trailer (hope it will drive off again!) Whoever put that exhaust on through the bonnet wants shooting - perhaps I had better look in the gun thread? I don't know what I will do with it, thought it might be fun and bought it, as I said, in a mad moment - I seem to have a lot of those - but I thought it would make a change from working on the snowtrac so much. I rather think it will change colour, don't like that yellow any more than I liked the orange on the snowtrac (it isn't that colour now - the snowtrac, I mean - just wait till you see it.........the ugly orange duckling is turning into a beautiful swan.....Bob eat your heart out!!!) Maybe next week you will get to see it........

Deerlope

Just thought you might like to see my latest 'mad buy', well it makes a change from working on a Snowtrac!

I had one of those but with 6 wheels. The darn thing would turn on a dime and give 9 cents change. It had a 12 1/2 hp CCW (Canadian Curtis Wright) engine and would litterly go anywhere except deep snow. I could drive off land and into water and keep going by having the ribs on the tires propell me.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I believe it has a Briggs and Stratton engine, the only experience I have with those engines are on lawn mowers and have caused me to use more bad language than any other motor. I certainly hope this one starts better. I have no knowledge of its age, it looks pretty ancient to me too, but it did drive up on to the trailer (hope it will drive off again!) Whoever put that exhaust on through the bonnet wants shooting - perhaps I had better look in the gun thread? I don't know what I will do with it, thought it might be fun and bought it, as I said, in a mad moment - I seem to have a lot of those - but I thought it would make a change from working on the snowtrac so much. I rather think it will change colour, don't like that yellow any more than I liked the orange on the snowtrac (it isn't that colour now - the snowtrac, I mean - just wait till you see it.........the ugly orange duckling is turning into a beautiful swan.....Bob eat your heart out!!!) Maybe next week you will get to see it........

Anita a "MAD" moment is when you buy a Kristi. Then its also when you try and "start" a Kristi. Then its when you try and go "forward" in a Kristi. Those my Snow Trac sister are "MAD" moments! I like the moon crawler! Reminds me of the TV show Space 1999. They used those to get around on the surface of the moon.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The Argo is sitting on the land at the back of the house, no work has been started at present as I am trying to finish my house renovations (well the bits that have been done, before I start pulling another bit apart). As you know the snowtrac has been completed and looks very pretty (I want some snow to go and play now) and is tucked up cosily in the back of the resprayed and fitted out horsebox, so some things have been achieved this year. As soon as I get a bit of spare time the Argo will be started on - I have a friend who is going to go across his pond in it, his elderly neighbour wants to stand by with his tractor to pull it out after it sinks (he thinks like me), but Dave says it won't sink, he is working on the theory that if it holds water it won't leak. Personally, I don't think that that theory 'holds water' as it has false floor pans and no one has looked underneath......I await this test with bated breath, who is with me on the betting that it will sink and Dave gets wet??

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will also vote that it will float, but I'm not betting any beer money on it!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll also guess that it will float. But ... I would hook a tow rope to it ahead of time just in case.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave says he is going to drive it so fast (ha, ha, or should that be ho, ho?) that it is going to skip across the pond like you do with flat stones. I still reckon it will sink..........3 to 1 for Dave not getting wet!!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
(ha, ha, or should that be ho, ho?) LMAO NO NO that should have been lady of the night lady of the night.

OK we want a full on YOUTUBE accessable video footage captured of this event!

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a max, not an argo. Mine floats very well. :thumb: Most of them leak a little, usually through the wheel bearings. Some have bilge pumps installed, so even if it does leak a little, you can easily keep ahead of it. Also , the tires (all 6 or 8, depending on model) are inherently boyant. Just look underneath to insure that nobody cracked the pan before you. :shitHitFan:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know how to do utube and I reckon that he is waiting for the pond to freeze so he can make it across!

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't know how to do utube and I reckon that he is waiting for the pond to freeze so he can make it across!

Just google you tube and go from there. In the search box type in argo. You will see all kinds of videos of these machines and what they can do. :thumb: