• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1987 snow trac! (oops I done it again...)

Alp Trac

I have added another snow trac to my existing collection of a '63 snow trac and a '68 trac master...

Found this one on ebay again: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150113412752

Description was:

Item Specifics - Cars & Other Vehicles
Manufacturer: Aktiv Snow Trac Condition: Used
Model: -- Number of Previous Owners: --
Type: Four Wheel Drive Number of Seats: 7
Number of Doors: 1 Engine Size: --
Mileage: -- Independent Vehicle Inspection: --
Model Year: -- MOT Expiry Date (MM/YYYY): --
Date of 1st Registration: -- Right-hand drive/Left-hand drive: --
Colour: Grey V5 Registration Document: --
Metallic Paint: -- Previously Registered Overseas: --
Transmission: Manual In-Car Entertainment Options: --
Safety Features: -- Interior/Comfort Options: --
Fuel: Petrol Exterior Options: --
Particulate Filter: -- Road Tax (MM/YYYY): --
Service History Available: -- Manufacturer's Warranty Expiry Date: --
Seller's Warranty Expiry Date: -- Power: --

You are bidding on a very rare Aktiv Snow Trac built in Sweden between 1957and 1981, although registered 1987 I do not know its exact year of manufacture.In storage many years and I think an ex goverment vehicle. On close inspection it looks like its done very little work, in good running order although in need of cosmetic attention.Go to google and stamp in Aktiv Snow Trac and do your own search.Information can also be found at www.klovsjo.com/snowtrac

The machine is very simple in its design and is based on a steel box section chassis with aluminium panels and body work and a timber floor for the cabin.Power is by a flat-four air cooled Volkswagon petrol engine powering the tracks through a conventional four speed gearbox with reverse.Entry and exit is via a single door at the rear of the vehicle.

Whilst conceived as a civilian vehicle the Snow - Trac was adopted by the British Royal Marine Commandos for operations in Norway on NATO's Northern Flank and an example can be found at the REME Museum at Arborfield, Berkshire, England.

If you are mad enough to bid (And Iam sure there's more than one of us!) then good luck.

Obviously I was mad enough to bid.

I would like to ask the snow trac experts (bob, lyndon, snow trac ops etc) what do you know about a snow trac produced in 1987?

I can tell you that the vehicle was assembled in Scotland, not Sweden, by Alex McLarty's company. He was the original importer of the snow trac into the UK.

The vehicle has 3 previous owners, but was first registered by British Telecom (who are the nation telecoms provider in the UK). Their 1980's livery was canary yellow, hence the interior colour, and their 1990's livery was grey, hence the exterior colour!

The vehicle is very original, with the VHF radio and antenna still fitted, wing mirrors, orange beacon and hand operated spot light.

It is all in excellent order, being relatively new and rarely used.

It still has the original exhaust pipe, that cannot be said for many...

I thought this one to be a wise investment because it is quite rare in it's relatively youthful age and also the fact it is produced in Scotland.

A big plus is that it road registered, something I have been trying to do with my existing snow trac's but finding very difficult!

I have the insurance sorted and expect some crazy photos next winter, of it around the ski resort in the French Alps in the where I live! Hopefully I will not be clamped...

Any input on this one would be appreciated, it has disc brakes on the front axles for instance. It also has a different front end which looks to be factory spec.

Thanks

Alp Trac

Attachments

• 3f78_12.jpg
    3f78_12.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,292
  • 532f_12.jpg
    532f_12.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 2,246
  • 4b3c_12.jpg
    4b3c_12.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,271
  • 6176_12.jpg
    6176_12.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,263

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
At first I didnt think the hood was factory but I belive that may have been made like that at the factory. Please take lots of pictures.

Alp Trac

I will take photos, especially of any anomalies.

I have three now, a long way to go to catch up with Lyndon I believe!

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations, it looks good, but you have the 'Alex McClarty' steering wheel I see! It seems to have the same British Leyland boss in the middle and looks identical to my present one. Hopefully I will be getting the correct one for mine tomorrow (all being well). Will post piccy when it is here. Re the seats, I would argue that they are not really seven seaters, as there is space for seating another six people, granted, but there is really only one 'proper' seat - the driver's seat.

Alp Trac

Hi Ice Queen,

What do you mean when you say the correct one?

Is the one fitted not direct from the factory?

Alp Trac

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a very interesting Snow Trac! I'm curious about the front end. I'm double curious because that is one of the Scottish made Snow Tracs, so there probably are several subtle differences. How does the manual compare to the Swedish manuals?

Alp Trac

Hi Scurka,

I will scan the manual and submit it at my first opportunity.

I will also take photos of any differences, ie the disc brakes and front end.

I aim to share as much info as I can about the Scottish beastie!

alp trac

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have been looking at a Disc brake set-up. I will hold off until I have my shop completed before I start modifying anymore. I currently have my hands full. Please take as many pictures as you can of the disc brake set-up please! That is probably the best modification available!!! I would agree its probably the last of the Scotish Snow Tracs made. GREAT find. Congradulations!!!

Alp Trac

Hi there, thankyou! I was chuffed to win the auction. Don't worry, I will post loads of photos, I am thinking that McLarty will have gone for VW components again, but I will let you know.

Alp Trac

I have scoured the photos on the forum and cannot find a thread with a snow trac with the same front end as mine. Can we compile chronological photos of a snow trac from every year, is there any way we can do that?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
They are all the same with the exception of the last ones produced in Scottland. At least I was told that by the guy I bought my Snow Masters from. I have never seen one until now I believe.

Alp Trac

just added some more of the photos from the ebay sale

Attachments

• 5991_12.jpg
    5991_12.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,181
  • 47a8_12.jpg
    47a8_12.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,182
  • 6993_12.jpg
    6993_12.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,172
  • 566d_12.jpg
    566d_12.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,545

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You have the first rims I have seen that are like mine. There is a solid round stock welded inside the outer edge of the rim.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This IS the "TRANSITIONAL YEAR" model that I spoke about in the Brake Thread.

Alp Trac

Just found out that my Scottish snow trac is an '88 not an '87:

Hi, at a guess I would say that this is an ex British Telecom vehicle. I say this because as an apprentice mechanic at BT a long time ago we used to have one of these on standby for callouts in hard to access areas. In all the time I worked there, the one we had never left the depot but was always serviced and inspected on a regular basis. If you look on the rear, the numbers on BT vehicles at the time would be : 88 - the year registered, 384, the code for the vehicle type and 0001 the vehicle number in the fleet and of course the yellow paint was the colour used for their fleet at the time. I'm not postive but pretty sure that this would have been one of their vehicles at some time, in which case it would have been very well looked after and rarely used. I always wanted to own one of these great machines but have a garage full of projects just now. Most spares are still avaiable along with manuals and a owners club. Try a google search. Hope this helps,Ken

You can see from the attached photo that the first two numbers of the removed decal (just above the number plate) are 88.

Attachments

• 566d_12.jpg
    566d_12.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,137

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think may be able to do a great service to some people by making up a photo thread that details this rare Scottish built Snow Trac.

No doubt there are more out there, and this one is different than Anita's (Ice Queen) Snow Trac, which may also have been Scottish built. Anita's was either one of the last Swedish units or perhaps one of the early Scottish units? I forget what here serial number is, but something tells me it falls after the Aktiv production chart posted here. She also has the "tall cab" that was produced in later years and apparently limited to European distribution.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This probably is NOT a Scottish built machine for 2 reasons: "transitional" year machines were in the middle of the production years, and second because THIS ONE HAS A WESTERMASKINER TAG ON IT!.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine is definitely a Scottish snowtrac and the steering wheel mentioned may be a clue to the Scottish ones as mine has one identical to yours, but I now have the correct one. My snowtrac has no longer got the tall cab (thankfully - I think it is hideous and so out of proportion), that now resides at the side of the barn - anyone want it? Work is progressing on my 'beastie' and having just returned from a four hour trip to Phil Chatfield's house this morning to collect the steering wheel and the blind (fitted on the military snowtracs) so work will hopefully progress even further this week. The inside is resprayed in the original red, and as I said the 'new' top is on, the side boxes are under construction and a hunt is on for the correct headlamps and rear lamps. It is supposed to attend its first rally in two weeks, so life is hectic......................!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Work is progressing on my 'beastie' and having just returned from a four hour trip to Phil Chatfield's house this morning to collect the steering wheel and the blind (fitted on the military snowtracs) so work will hopefully progress even further this week. The inside is resprayed in the original red, and as I said the 'new' top is on, the side boxes are under construction and a hunt is on for the correct headlamps and rear lamps. It is supposed to attend its first rally in two weeks, so life is hectic......................!

Anita, where is your photo thread detailing the whole process?!? I'd love to see a civilian to military conversion. We've never had anyone show that process, but we have a few folks who own military units that have been converted to civilian use.

BTW, get Zoe to post some photos of her military toys too!!! :weneedpic

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Gonna keep you all guessing for a while, but rest assured photos are being taken! Watch this space..............

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wasn't the Manufacturing tag on Anita's machine on the Dash? This one has it on the back by the hinge side of the door where it usually was on Swedish Machines. I also note that the Nose cowling is missing and that the Blue machine has the grousers for a 3 belt, but the Guides for a 2 belt. The "Transitional" year machines I believe were 67. This could well be a Scottish machine. Because of there poor brake system lot's of ST4's got front end damage. That would make it likely that this part was no longer available as the Spare's that they were being built from ran out. I also observe that the floor is not shock mounted as were all the AKTIV machines on rubber shock mounts. The "transitional" year machine that I looked at in Alaska was purchased directly from the Alaska ST4 Dealer who got it From Sweden. He used to load up the new machines with parts and Beat the import duty on the parts. He would have them Flown to Alaska in a 747, 3 at a time.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a little taste for Bob, but not revealing too much, work progresses a pace!......................

Attachments

• snowtrac 001.jpg
    snowtrac 001.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 604

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a bit more, rotten picture though, taken in a hurry!

Attachments

• axe cover.jpg
    axe cover.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 598