• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My transmission is bleading...

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
On the way home tonight, my transmission didn't want to shift from low to high. I babied it on the way so I didn't do any damage to it....... hopefully. Upon arrival home, I checked the dipstick and it was so low that none registered. I put in 3 quarts and then took it for a drive. Everything seems to be OK. I think that the transmission cooler lines have rusted and it is leaking. I have never seen rust on the car until this summer. Everything that is unpainted steel is rusting away. Muffler, brake calipers, and now the transmission cooler lines. I will look into it in the morning after I get my pellets into the garage. Larry wants his trailer back on Saturday, so I will be moving all 200 40# bags by myself tomorrow. Then I will tackle the transmission leak. Saturday it is supposed to rain. I hope to have everything done by then. Just need to vent...... Junk.....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
How hard did you hit that deer? Did you break your transmission too?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Went with the wife to town last week in her company car (Ford Taurus).
Got to the first STOP sign and when she pulled away I hear high rpm's then slam! "What was that" she says "It's been doing that since I got it serviced" (1500 miles earlier). Told her that ain't right, your tranny is about to go! I ask her if they did transmission service and she said Yep!

Let's get to the first auto parts store........checked the tranny fluid, nuttin on the stick........jeez. 3 quarts later the car is running "great", her words!

Pretty sure the technicians didn't take they're time adjusting the level. I told her next time she has it serviced (she uses the same place for all her company vehicle needs) to firmly tell the service manager that if anything like that happens again she'll be looking for a new garage.

Yesterday she said her car never ran better. I do most of my PM but in the occasions I have a garage do oil change, grease etc. I always go over the vehicle when they're done. Some of the faces I've got when just after completing the service the service manager sees me lying on the ground to check the zerks and with the hood up checking levels. I've done that ever since (years ago) a technician left my radiator cap off.

Gook luck with the car Junk!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
I do most of my PM

I'm sure I am a bit unusual here, but I own a Mercury Mountaineer and I've never (seriously never) looked under the hood. When we went out for the test drive, the salesman wanted my wife to pull over to let me drive. I said "NO, I won't be driving this car" We got back to the dealership and he said "Come up front, let me show you the engine" and I said "Well I don't work on my cars, are you going to teach me how to change the oil or is this just a sales gimmick to make yourself feel more manly that you know how to open a hood?" And people actually wonder why I am considered a blunt jerk???

The Volvo dealer (over the years 5 cars from him, same salesguy for most of those) doesn't bother to ask, he learned his lesson. I traded away my C70 Convertible after 2 years, never looked under the hood of that one. But I did look under the hood of the XC90 just to fill up some wiper fluid for the lovely Mrs_B. Usually I have someone do that, ditto checking the oil, etc. Have no clue what the VW Touareg engine looks like? I know it will tow 7700# but for all I know it could be painted light shades of pink & blue.

For whatever reason, I will play with the tractors but I won't play with the NEW cars. (I do dig around under the hood of the Avanti) I dunno why. I guess they are too complicated for me to work on. Heck on most of the new cars you can't even find the spark plug wires. On my Volvo the battery is under the rear deck, on my VW the batter is under the driver's seat. I had a Chrylser and the battery was in the wheel well! Its not like the good old days when you popped off the air filter, played with the float, and fired the things right up!