• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Movie Industry is losing revenue

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
On the way out to a job site this morning on the radio it had an article about how the movie/hollywood was losing sales and not making as much money as in the past.

Tonight this article Fast Five most pirated movie and then list the top ten most pirated movies. I wonder how much the pirated movies is affecting the lost sales. Is it the pirating or is people just kind of done with Hollywood. Me I just don't get into movies and such anymore like I used to.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't speak for what Hollywood is loosing, but I went to see Sherlock Holmes (at the theater) yesterday and it pissed me off to no end that after paying $15 to see the movie I had to sit through endless advertisments for everything from Chevy cars to cell phone service. That's not right. If I'm paying to see the SHOW, I don't want to be forced to watch someone else shove their product down my throat. I'm PAYING to see the SHOW for christ sake.

So ask me if the theater business is going to loose money and I'll say "yes... their going to lose mine..."

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Can't tell you the last time I went to the movies, but I do want to see War Horse in a bad way.
After you pay the price for the ticket, then your popcorn and soda, you easily have $25-$30 wrapped up in it.
As for those movies most pirated, haven't heard of a single one of them.
Call me out of the loop.
Perhaps it's better that way.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to mention the remakes and part one two and three sequels of any movie that happened to make a profit the first go around....

They are short on creativity, and are scared cause so many movies have lost big money. This is one of the reasons for the sequels we see. They are able to get financing, as the original made some money. But there are many loosers in the game, and few that are big winners.

Independant films are better than ever, and don't generally come from hollywood anymore.

Regards

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well for me I can name the last three movies I saw in the theater. The Godfather, Lord of the Rings and Avatar so that will give you a clue how often I go. I tend to wait till they come out for rental then go that way. I do have a 52" TV with HD and Blu-Ray so why would I go to a movie, with my feet sticking to the floor and I can't pause to go to the bathroom or get a drink. If I really like it I can spend the money it would of cost to see it in the theater and buy it.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
it kind of is funny as when I was a kid I would go see it once and be happy. the kids today will go to the theater a couple of times then buy it when it comes out. Today I can wait like Joec says and buy when available.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sequels often suck, except of course.. for the Indiana Jones flicks, the Rocky's, Godfathers etc.. weren't so bad, nor were some others.
I'll just stay home and wait a couple of months for them to come out and see whatever it is I may want to see.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Now they are bringing out the Hobbit the last of the books of that series which I will buy since my favorites of all times books. The series done over the last few years was as close to the books as one could get in a 4 hour venue. I've actually read the whole series a couple of times in my life and own the directors cut in 3 formats now. Also Avatar has a sequel coming out and that I enjoyed also with out the political BS associated with it. I watch a movie to get away from every day life and politics completely and don't let it come into play.

Now I did enjoy the Godfather series, Star Wars and the Rocky movies though I own none of them.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I had time to kill so I went to see Sherlock and after they got to the movie (didn't mind the previews) after the ads, it was pretty good, one of the better of the current series, but I had the whole theater to myself...

I just bathed this last fall, so it must have been something else that kept the crowds away!:yum:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
If they started making some films that were worth me sitting behind a fat smelly guy at the movies then they would get my $$$

i fail to remember the last time i watched a film and thought "wow....i need to see that again".

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I had time to kill so I went to see Sherlock and after they got to the movie (didn't mind the previews) after the ads, it was pretty good, one of the better of the current series, but I had the whole theater to myself...

I just bathed this last fall, so it must have been something else that kept the crowds away!:yum:
We went to see Sherlock Christmas evening. Sat through the previews, adds, and other bs and then 15 minutes into the movie the projector died! Apairently the bulb gave up.
WTF? (I'll take spare parts for $500.00 Alex) Anyway, some poor employee had to come in and tell everyone the bad news, which of course was taken poorly by much of the crowd.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
:wow:I hadn't realised how long its been since I went to the movies untill this thread. I never was much of one to be around the public though for any reason ( mainly for the reason Galvy mentioned ). :doh:

That said, this was the last one I went to see, and like most guys the drive home was rather interesting after seeing the movie when we hit the back roads. A true classic, circa 1978. :biggrin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Y3A-zib-Q"]Hooper 1978 - Rocket powered 1978 Pontiac Transam jumps bridge - YouTube[/ame]

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
For myself personally, I couldn't care less about being dragged out to the theater to pay $15 to get in, another $7 for a popcorn, $10 for a freakin pop, then fight my way through a crowd to find a seat, be squished in like a sardine, have to sit through all the commercials for 15 mins then fight the crowds to get out of there after the movie is done. Sorry..just isn't for me. The rest of the family went out to see a movie last night. I just stayed home. Had absolutely no desire to go through that torture. I'd rather spend the $40-50 for two people on something more meaningful.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
The last movie I watched in a theater was Titanic. My theory is that if it's a winner, it will show up on TV or get it for a few bucks from the rental joint by the liquor store. Its way too expensive to go to the theaters, but as long as people are willing to pay those outrageous prices, theaters will continue to gouge you for their shitty food made and served by underpaid pimply faced kids who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Think of that the next time you ask for a large buttered popcorn from an un-gloved hand. :whistling:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
We actually saw Avarta around the corner from us at the first showing on a Sunday Morning. The first showing was $4 for an adult and both of us left spending only about $12. That $12 covered our admission, jumbo popcorn and jumbo coke. Now the next show jumped to $14 per adult go figure.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
A lot of the theaters in our area were destroyed to make room for these big fancy 20 unit theaters where they could show up to 20 different movies at a time. They have the stadium seating in them along with fancy restaurants. Now ten years later they seem to sit empty as going to movies is not as big of a deal anymore or is it because people just can't afford it.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
A lot of the theaters in our area were destroyed to make room for these big fancy 20 unit theaters where they could show up to 20 different movies at a time. They have the stadium seating in them along with fancy restaurants. Now ten years later they seem to sit empty as going to movies is not as big of a deal anymore or is it because people just can't afford it.

I remember as a kid going to the movies in Miami. 3 theaters in down town Miami, 3 in Coral Gables and 6 drive ins. Now all the theaters here are the multiplex style as you describe. Now between the 2 with in 1/4 mile there must be 40 screens.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm one to wait until it comes out on a cable channel.

Instead of a movie during our Christmas vacation, I took the family to see the Harlem Globetrotters last night. Price was similar ($16) but a live show is more entertaining.

Galvatron

this got me thinking when did i last go to a theatre to watch a movie....had to phone my wife and was amazed to find out the last i took her to see was back in 1996 and it was Phenomenon starring John Travolta....and i must confess i did enjoy that.:hide:

maybe it is time for me to take the wife out of the nut house again as it as been a while:yum::yum::yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the way out to a job site this morning on the radio it had an article about how the movie/hollywood was losing sales and not making as much money as in the past.

Tonight this article Fast Five most pirated movie and then list the top ten most pirated movies. I wonder how much the pirated movies is affecting the lost sales. Is it the pirating or is people just kind of done with Hollywood. Me I just don't get into movies and such anymore like I used to.

So they are not making as much as in the past. Their quality has slipped and as has been mentioned creativity is not there. They go overboard with special effect but there is no intriguing story to go with it. I've always thought the movie theaters were more for the young / dating couples. I much prefer watching at home on my big screen TV, without strangers around, where I can pause when I want. Once in awhile I watch via pay per view on direct TV, but most of the time it's on HBO, showtime or even the free movie channels of AMC or FMC.

After the VHS craze, and having most of them sit around never being watched more than once, I got out of the buying movie phase. My kids buy all kinds though. They have all the latest DVD's buy Disney movies for their kids and have a huge collection. With all the video sales, premium channel sales and on demand viewing along with movie theaters and huge foreign distribution I have a hard time feeling sorry for them not making as much as they used to. Actually I find it hard to believe.

Galvatron

Here's my top tip for the movie industry....when you do get a great script for a film do not try and cram it in to 1 hour 30 min....any good story takes time to tell,all the great films last 3 hours if not more.

and why i am at it here is another gripe of mine...stop taking a great film and doing a remake and expect me to pay to watch it...example...Dudley Moore nailed the film Arthur and so why on hell would you do a remake with a talentless fucking idiot like Russell Brand and expect me to pay to watch it??

i swear even i could make a movie with a good story that would entertain more than the shit Hollywood flushes out....the film industry just don't like the fact people are refusing to pay to watch what they think they should watch....same goes for the music industry.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Galvi and Rusty could do a remake of Jackass and save the film industry!:clap::clap::clap:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to be the projectionist at our wonderful, local Select Theater. It only shows movies on a Friday and Saturday night and a Saturday afternoon matinee, sometimes a Sunday matinee if people ask for it. The cost is $5 per person and $3 for the matinees. Soda, popcorn and candy are $1.50. $1 at the matinee for the kids. They also get first run movies, not stuff that's been out for months. This week it is "The Adventures of Tin Tin".

OK, I admit that the theater is run more or less as a public service with a lot of volunteer help involved but it still manages to pay it's way and subsidize the Lake Country Theater productions which are put on about 4 times a year. In fact, it's a social meeting place on Friday and Saturday nights. People meet with friends for dinner and then walk around the corner to the theater. It's a wonderful amenity in a little town of 5,000 people.

Now, if I had to drive 30 miles and pay $15 to go see a movie, they'd be waiting a long, long time.