• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Are you afraid....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Are you afraid to tighten a nut, bolt or screw? I just installed new calipers on my car to the tune of $180 each. I tried to get rebuilds, but they were not available, nor were aftermarket units. While installing the first one, I was tightening the hose end fitting to the caliper. Then all of a sudden it went kerplunk. I thought that I had broken the end off the hose. Closer examination showed that the cast iron caliper boss cracked off. I looked at the hose fitting and it bottoms out on the caliper. The hose fitting acted like a jack and snapped the end of the caliper. Luck for me, the dealer replaced it as a defective part. Now, I am afraid to put much pressure on the wrench to tighten the fitting. I should have known because the old ones were easy to get off. Never seen such a setup before. Most have a copper washer and the hose is supposed to bottom out against the washer to make the seal. This is the first time that I have seen a metal to metal type of set up. Is it that I am still used to the old fashioned wheel cylinders and calipers are made differently? Now I am gun shy to tighten anything too much on that car.

PineRidge

Back From the Dead
Cmon Junk, when U started driving you had to drag your leg for brakes. U ain't kiddin me none here pardner. ;)

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Its always the last turn that strips the threads

I live in constant fear of stripping a bolt, well that and John stripping :eek:

BoneheadNW

My Dad used to call me Godzilla (amongst other things) because I had a tendecy to over-tighten nuts and screws. Those were the days, he would keep saying "Don't tighten it too much!" and I would say, "I'm not!" and then POP, and you would hear this "Aw, shit you did it again!". A few seconds later we would break out in laughter, either that or he would stay P.O.ed at me. Those were such fun times............. :bling:
Bonehead

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"Motto: Tighten it untill it gets loose again, then back it off half a turn."
You forgot the rest of it..."Then ask someone else to try to tighten it!":whistle: