• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ridge Runner Tracked Vehicle - help needed

Pete

Looking for any info,Motor and a set of tracks for a early 70s Ridge runner Tracked vehicle. Thanks Pete

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Ridge Runner

Hi Pete, is yours the Aqua Trac version or the ATV version? If I recall, Ridge Runners were made in both configurations.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know what type of engine or track help you are looking for, but my guess is that if you need tracks your best bet will be to build a new set of tracks for the machine from belting. I've got a copy of the original factory brochure, and the specs on the Ridge Runners are pretty impressive. The PSI is amazingly low at 0.32 pounds, that is less ground pressure than an Aktiv Snow Master.

Can you be more specific in what help you need? Maybe someone here can help you out. Pictures often help people sort out problems so if you have a digital camera, posting some shots of your problem areas may help someone help you.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3,046

Pete

I need to find out what size motor came with the vehicle. The motor that came with it is a 293 Sachs 2 stroke. I do'nt think this is the right engine. Seems like it should be bigger.It looks like something somebody cobbed together.The tracks I'm thinking of lacing some 15 in snowmobile tracks together since thats all they really are,but would be interested to find some originals. I'm looking for any breakdowns or shop manuals that may be out there. Mine has a Jeep type frt end. The nose comes off with 4 rubber holdowns and once off the hydraulic gearbox and motor are right there.If you'd like I can send you a couple of pics or I might be able to get them on the site. Thank you Pete

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pete, my knowledge is limited to the brochure information I have. So basically I don't have much!

When it comes time to work on the tracks, I seriously doubt you will find a set of originals anywhere. If you can find the proper hole spacing for the sprocket teeth, you may be able to lace/splice together a set of snowmobile tracks. The hard part will be finding a set of 15" wide tracks that are going to have the correct sprocket hole placement to match up with your sprocket teeth. Building tracks is not a hard job, but it is tedious. Look around the SNOWCAT area in the Forums and you will find plenty of information. BigAl's Kristi KT7 Restoration thread showed some detailed track building photos.

Pete

I'll try to post a picture on the site in the next couple of days.The sprockets won't be a problem as they aren't much different from the snowmobiles with involute drive so I should be able to come up with something. Thanks for your time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine has a Jeep type frt end. The nose comes off with 4 rubber holdowns and once off the hydraulic gearbox and motor are right there.
Does it look something like this photo?
The sprockets won't be a problem as they aren't much different from the snowmobiles with involute drive so I should be able to come up with something.
Please post photos when you get a chance. I'd also like to see some details of your sprocket design, you may be very lucky and be able to use some tracks from a snowmobile. That would certainly be easy and effective.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,462