• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Torsion axles for snowcat

hansoni

We have a LMC 1500 and looking for a manufacturer to make a new torsion axle as this one is worn out.
Anyone here have any contact?
Steve

Attachments

• LMC.jpg
    LMC.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 525

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
In my experience (on trailer axles) the manufacturer will put a data tag on the axle which will identify the manufacturer, and the axle's specifics. Having that information you can go to that manufacturer and get an identical replacement.

I did that a few years ago with a Dexter brand axle and it worked out very well.

hansoni

These are probably the original axles that maybe LMC made? They have been repaired and re painted so many times there are no makings at all.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
when I cut my pistenbully in half and added an axle like that I got really lucky. I called pistenbully in Oregon and they had new takeoff ones and sold complete with hubs for $300. a truck was also heading my way and I met him 6 miles from home. free shipping 300miles
jim

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
These are probably the original axles that maybe LMC made? They have been repaired and re painted so many times there are no makings at all.

With nothing to go on, maybe try Peterson Equipment in Logan, UT (435) 752-5110.

I'm quite sure they were a Thiokol/DMC/LMC dealership. I know they sold their parts inventory a few years ago, and have a "do not compete" clause, but they may be able to provide some information.

I called them a year or so ago to do some research before potentially bidding on a machine and found them to be knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

catservice

We have been able to have a local torsion axle company assemble these axles for us for years. Good old corporate America came in and bought our local business up. So now the new corporate guys, which is Dexter, won’t even entertain the idea of assembling our axles.

What we need to find is either a small company who will supply us with the inner metal, and the outer tubing. Then we can do the fabrication to match OEM specs. After that’s completed we send it back to the manufacturer to press the torsion rubbers into the tube.

Alternatively with the OEM drawings I have we find a manufacturer to build the complete axle for us.

In the past we would cut our own drop arms with the correct indexing and length, and we also have all the correct spindles machined for the Thiokols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk