• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Annoying phone feature

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you get the 2nd notice that you got a text if you do not open your screen to view the text when it arrives?
Many times I read the screen, no response needed so all it good. Two minutes later I think I got another text but nope the phone is reminding me I have a text I have not opened the phone to read.

This feature has been annoying me for awhile now. I finally took a moment to check to see if I could turn it off and indeed I can. Duh. Should have checked long ago.

On my iphone all I do is:
Go to Settings/ Notifications/ Messages and scroll to the bottom. Find "Repeat Alerts" Click that and set it to Never. Ahhh Victory at last. :yum:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you get the 2nd notice that you got a text if you do not open your screen to view the text when it arrives?
Many times I read the screen, no response needed so all it good. Two minutes later I think I got another text but nope the phone is reminding me I have a text I have not opened the phone to read.

This feature has been annoying me for awhile now. I finally took a moment to check to see if I could turn it off and indeed I can. Duh. Should have checked long ago.

Go to Settings/ Notifications/ Messages and scroll to the bottom. Find "Repeat Alerts" Click that and set it to Never. Ahhh Victory at last. :yum:

Thanks! That works!

I just tried to ignore it! :thumb:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have the I phone the other thing I don't need is for the phone to try and anticipate what im going to text I shut that feature off to

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Yeah I have it as well Annoying as hell.
One new issue I have is Walgreens Pharmacy. I have thee prescriptions and they text me for each one. I cannot get them to stop or at least call just once. WTF?

I hate texting. It is the laziest, most impersonal, way to communicate and leads to all sorts of misunderstandings. My favorite peeve, "Didn't you get my text?????"

Uggggggh!:hammer:

On the bulletin board at work is a sign. It reads
DO NOT TEXT FRANC,,,EVER!

I'm up at 5:30 AM for a reason. Hot, cold rainy snow, illness, car trouble,,, I have to be in. If you haven't the balls to call me and say, in person, you cannot come in, don't bother coming in.

But now, thanks to DOC, I won't have to listen to the text claxon twice.

Thanks DOC!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like texting a lot. For some communication it is so simple and quick. Convey a simple message and move on without the Hi hello, how are you etc etc that a phone call entails.

Where I used to work to report off sick you had to call in and talk to a person. No texting. No voicemail. They didn't want to make it to easy to call off. For that part I totally agree with you Franc.

Last edited:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah I have it as well Annoying as hell.
One new issue I have is Walgreens Pharmacy. I have thee prescriptions and they text me for each one. I cannot get them to stop or at least call just once. WTF?

I hate texting. It is the laziest, most impersonal, way to communicate and leads to all sorts of misunderstandings. My favorite peeve, "Didn't you get my text?????"

Uggggggh!:hammer:

On the bulletin board at work is a sign. It reads
DO NOT TEXT FRANC,,,EVER!

I'm up at 5:30 AM for a reason. Hot, cold rainy snow, illness, car trouble,,, I have to be in. If you haven't the balls to call me and say, in person, you cannot come in, don't bother coming in.

But now, thanks to DOC, I won't have to listen to the text claxon twice.

Thanks DOC!

The only one in our house that deals with Walgreens is our son, and he likes their multiple email policy. There are a couple of meds that are really critical - he suffers from 'chain' migraines - and others that can sit in the store overnight with no real problems, so we need to know precisely what is ready.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I friggin' hate so called smart phones. We only have them because with Xfinity they are basically free (we pay 2 bucks a month for both.) and I find texting my son is much easier with one. Other then that, no use. I have very few apps on the phone and most of the useless preloaded ones are disabled.

For a little over 50 years of my life I got by just fine without lugging one of these things around with me and I bet I could be just fine again. :yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
For a little over 50 years of my life I got by just fine without lugging one of these things around with me and I bet I could be just fine again. :yum:

I only broke down and got one a few years ago. I still don't have a whole lot of use for one but on a couple of occasions it has come in useful, especially when traveling in the RV.

The feature that annoys me the most is when it keeps on reminding me that "location services" is turned off. Why do I need a device that tells me where I'm at? I'm still smart enough to figure that out on my own and I sure as hell don't want the whole world to know where I'm at or what I'm doing by tapping in to that information. Besides, half the time I leave the stool pigeon at home when I go out.

I think that I'm just getting too old for this world.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guilty of being one of the newbies carrying around a phone. Like doc said, texting is so much easier than a phone call in most cases. Get to the point and be on your way. I also use mine for scheduling. My calendar is full on it. It gives me reminders etc. My memory isn't what it used to be so I have all my appointments as well as the kids and wife. Both my daughter and I take medication. I've taken on full responsibility for reordering meds. When I refill the pill containers, I make a note of how many are left and set reminders for each medication renewal a few days before since some of them can't be ordered again until only 2 days before running out. My cell has been a real life saver. Literally. Also, when we're out at camp. It's an hour drive to the city so if we've forgotten something, we can text a friend to bring it out for us. It definitely makes life easier.

Canadian eh!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd agree with you on the Calendar … if I remember to enter all the appointments, meetings and stuff. It's so much easier than the old appointments book and it gives me warnings days before I have to be somewhere. Also the Contacts is so much better than scanning business cards, post-it notes or some kind of Rolodex. Does anyone even remember what one of those looked like?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd agree with you on the Calendar … if I remember to enter all the appointments, meetings and stuff. It's so much easier than the old appointments book and it gives me warnings days before I have to be somewhere. Also the Contacts is so much better than scanning business cards, post-it notes or some kind of Rolodex. Does anyone even remember what one of those looked like?

Me. I have one right on my desk, along with our Dayminder Schedule Book and use them every single day. Pushing tiny buttons on a 5" screen, for me, sucks and never use it. My wife always joked when she was in business that the ones that always forgot their appointments were the ones that always scheduled them electronically. The one that carried a small schedule book rarely forgot.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another nice feature of the calendar is when I was still working, I had it synced with my computer at work. All my appointments were at my fingertips. I also had a separate calendar set up with all my paperwork due dates and stuff. Working with 17 kids on average, there was always a ton of paperwork due. I could also share my calendar with my coworkers when I was off so they knew what appointments each kid had and could easily cover for me.

Canadian eh!!!