• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any wildlife experts ?

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I have a family of ???s living in a brush pile in my front yard.

I'll describe the best I can.

About 24 inches long from snout to but another 10 inches of fluffy tail.
Headon it looks just like a cat and moves like a cat but the profile looks more like a fox. Red head and neck gray body and tail. Short legs. I'll look for a picture on the net.

Does any of this sound familiar?

I'm in Maine.

I've eliminated
Fishers - too round and face is wrong
Red fox - legs are too long and color is wrong
Grey fox - closer but legs are still way too long

I'm starting to wonder if it's a mongrel of some kind.

Last edited:

Bamby

Is it possible to get a picture, or maybe a few a that. Then it would be a lot easier to potentially help with identification.

norscaner

sounds like crossfox pups
a grey fox red fox cross often produces odd colour paterns
I saw a litter of fox pups last week and they were about the size you describe.

Attachments

• Cross fox.jpg
    Cross fox.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 114
  • fox_bc_055.jpg
    fox_bc_055.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It COULD be Bobcat or a Newfoundlander. But Bob I think is in Maine this month. Ask if he want Dominos.:yum:

ORRRR
a Long-tail Weasel

ORRRRRR
a Marten

ORRRRRRRRR
a mink, a muskrat, opossum or short-tail wesseel.

I bet its a Marten!

rc2james

Site Supporter
It sounds like a bushy tailed Ohioan. :yum:

Or possibly someone’s exotic pet that had escaped.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Whatever it is, call your Senator and make sure it has coverage in the Insurance bill!

Trakternut

Looks pretty "foxy" to me. The big, pointy ears, the slender, pointed snout indicate such. I'm bettin' its a cross of some sort. Maybe mated with a dog??

benspawpaw

when you said wildlife i thought hell yea i know lots about that stuff. then i read the rest of the posts, not the same kind of wildlife, but years ago we had this stuff we called orange sunshine (acid). we used to see all kinds of shit on that stuff. you aint been,,,,, naw you wouldnt do that.
no idea what you are seeing tho:brows::w00t2:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
It's the Chupacabra!!! :shock: :hide:

The name comes from the animal's reported habit of attacking and drinking the blood of livestock, especially goats. Physical descriptions of the creature vary. Eyewitness sightings have been claimed as early as 1990 in Puerto Rico, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile.

norscaner

Hey if you can get a shot at one , kill it and post a picture , maybe some rare creature on the verge of extinction:w00t2:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
sounds like crossfox pups
a grey fox red fox cross often produces odd colour paterns
I saw a litter of fox pups last week and they were about the size you describe.

This is possible, your pictures look like what I saw, only the legs were shorter,

I'm trying to get a picture but the rascals wont pose. Thanks